Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Feb 15, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #271 of 806
@OhmsClaw Since you mentioned Windows in PM:

If you want to run HQPlayer on Windows and if you don't want to run Roon, then stick on Qobuz instead of Tidal and you don't need anything else than HQPlayer Desktop (with HQPlayer Client, which is part of Desktop installation, the same license applies). So easy.

Then you also don't need Holo Red if your Windows computer is not loud and it can be placed near Cyan 2.
Or you can use a cheap low power Pi4 as NAA instead of expensive Red if you want to place your Windows computer distantly.

HQPlayer Client can run on your Windows HQPlayer PC. If you don't want to operate HQPlayer from HQPlayer PC, you can run HQPlayer Client on Windows tablet. Alternatively you can run it on Windows PC and use VNC or any other desktop sharing app to connect to it from any Android or iOS device.

HQPlayer Client has enabled touch interface, so it is suitable for tablets. On Desktop PC you can operate it traditionally with mouse.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #273 of 806

If you want to run HQPlayer on Windows and if you don't want to run Roon, then stick on Qobuz instead of Tidal and you don't need anything else than HQPlayer Desktop (with HQPlayer Client, which is part of Desktop installation, the same license applies). So easy.

Then you also don't need Holo Red if your Windows computer is not loud and it can be placed near Cyan 2.
Or you can use a cheap low power Pi4 as NAA instead of expensive Red if you want to place your Windows computer distantly.

HQPlayer Client can run on your Windows HQPlayer PC. If you don't want to operate HQPlayer from HQPlayer PC, you can run HQPlayer Client on Windows tablet. Alternatively you can run it on Windows PC and use VNC or any other desktop sharing app to connect to it from any Android or iOS device.

HQPlayer Client has enabled touch interface, so it is suitable for tablets. On Desktop PC you can operate it traditionally with mouse.
So to avoid roon I need to Upsample/Filter with HPQ Desktop AND run embedded due to Tidals nonsense on an NAA and select that HQP Embed image as the back end while doing the "work" on my laptop. OR buy a whole separate computer to slave as an upsampling server.

So 600 for duplicate licenses of HQP + NAA device running from 180-800 for 780-1400.

Or 1100~ish for Roon Lifetime + HQP Desktop.

Yes I hate Qobuz UI and Library. Thank you for the information.

*Only replying here because you moved PM responses here*

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #274 of 806
So to avoid roon I need to Upsample/Filter with HPQ Desktop
If you want to use HQPlayer, upsampling runs on HQPlayer both with and without Roon.

run embedded due to Tidals nonsense on an NAA
HQPlayer Embedded and NAA are different things. HQPlayer Embedded is something like HQPlayer Desktop without GUI but with UPnP support.
HQPlayer Desktop can be operated through its GUI and through HQPlayer Client.
HQPlayer Embedded is configured through web interface and can be operated through HQPlayer Client or any UPnP Control Point.
NAA is audio endpoint allowing to connect DAC remotely to HQPLayer computer (Desktop or Embedded). NAA does not do any processing on data, it acts only as a buffer between LAN and audio interfaces.
You don't need both HQPlayer Desktop and HQPlayer Embedded. Only one of them. HQPlayer Embedded I suggested to you only because you want to stick on Tidal. With Qobuz you can go with HQPlayer Desktop.
NAA software is for free. It has no standalone functionality. It can act as audio endpoint for both HQPlayer Desktop and Embedded. You need NAA only if you want to place your DAC distantly from your notebook. Otherwise you don't need NAA with Cyan2.

1708015513203.png

select that HQP Embed image as the back end while doing the "work" on my laptop
I don't understand ... Please read my previous posts once again.

buy a whole separate computer to slave as an upsampling server
If you strongly stick on Tidal, that's the best choice. If you would go for Qobuz instead of Tidal, you could run HQPlayer Desktop on your Windows laptop, like I described in my previous post.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #276 of 806
Agree, that would be great! I am a SRC-DX / HQP / Qutest user. @GoldenSound
I'd be happy to if I'm able to borrow a Qutest and Cyan 2 :p
I don't own either myself I'm afraid. I've done a review on the Qutest previously though

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #278 of 806

Also it's interesting he pointed out Cyan 2 uses an 8+8 DSD ladder vs the 16+16 ladder in the Spring 3/May.
I was under the impression the ladder part of the circuit was the same and the cost cutting measures were made elsewhere, it seems I was wrong about that.
PCM is still a 16+16 ladder though.

Also Jussi suggests 20 bits for Cyan 2 in HQPlayer. Additionally there were some measurements posted in that thread and DSD256 measures better than 512 (perhaps due to the smaller ladder)
Thanks @bogi and @gammi. Is there a clear correlation between between the reduced DSD ladder number (8+8 for DSD versus 16+16 for PCM) leading to lesser suitability for and quality of DSD playback? I 'd love to learn if that's the case or if a smaller ladder well-implemented can still be of high sonic quality. Thanks!

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #279 of 806

I do exactly this, HQPlayer desktop on Windows PC with QoBuz directly through client, no streamer necessary. VERY pleased with the results!

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #280 of 806
Thanks @bogi and @gammi. Is there a clear correlation between between the reduced DSD ladder number (8+8 for DSD versus 16+16 for PCM) leading to lesser suitability for and quality of DSD playback? I 'd love to learn if that's the case or if a smaller ladder well-implemented can still be of high sonic quality. Thanks!
The design acts as an analog domain linear phase FIR filter. In theory this would just mean that the filter isn't quite as steep I think and so an ASDM5 modulator may work better than ASDM7?

Would need someone to test it though

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #281 of 806
The design acts as an analog domain linear phase FIR filter. In theory this would just mean that the filter isn't quite as steep I think and so an ASDM5 modulator may work better than ASDM7?

Would need someone to test it though
I will try this out. Currently only used the ASDM7 variant modulators. Switched to ASDM5EC-super 512+fs

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #282 of 806
I do exactly this, HQPlayer desktop on Windows PC with QoBuz directly through client, no streamer necessary. VERY pleased with the results!
Same here! works like a charm. Only thing i find anoying is that the transport view doesn't show all your Qobuz music if you have more that 500 tracks. What i usually do to fix this is just scroll down 4 times and it will show all the artists i listen to in the transport view

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #283 of 806
i've been considering getting a chord qutest for a while but this has piqued my interest. wonder if @GoldenSound would be willing to do a comparison?
I have both on hand rn, unfortunately the Cyan 2 just arrived last night. So it's still burning in.
I can give short comparison day after tomorrow probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back