Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Feb 7, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #211 of 818
Yes.

Now at least on my machine it's very buggy if you want to do anything other than play a song from start to finish. Changing tracks works fine, but MusicBee lags behind for a while. It often takes 2 minutes for MB to start rendering the progress bar after changing tracks (though HQplayer is playing the whole time). And trying to seek in a track will seek on HQplayer, but it locks up MusicBee.
Sounds like a nightmare haha. I'll give it a whirl though. Don't like the UI for most players, including roon. Been demoing hqplayer for a few days and it's been uhhh interesting to say the least.

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #212 of 818
Can virtual audio cable send it through untouched without resampling it?
VAC input and output are two separate audio devices. As always, an application connects to a audio device. Audio applications may be but need not to be WASAPI capable when connecting to audio device. HQPlayer on one side of VAC is WASAPI capable. Deezer app on Windows isn't.

Since Deezer provides 44.1k content and no hires, you may stay on fixed sample rate. Set VAC output audio device like "Line1" in Windows to 44.1. Set HQPlayer input also to 44.1k. Then no resampling happens on the path.

Also I think this would only work using a windows output like USB, it wouldn't work over LAN (which typically has better sound quality than USB), unless I'm missing something.

VAC is software loopback to connect two applications within the same computer, it does not use hardware ports. So Deezer and HQPOlayer should run on the same computer if you want to connect them with VAC.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #215 of 818
This DAC looks very interesting. Would this be a suggested upgrade from a Bifrost 2? I'm looking for DSD support as I want to dabble with upscaling to formulate my own opinion.

Feb 8, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #217 of 818
Please post your views on the Cyan 2 with your Bliss amp. This is a combination I am contemplating.
Will do. Be prepared to wait 6-7 weeks for that though. I somehow missed when this launched and here I am I'm ordering 2 months later :frowning2:
I will also be testing Cyan 2 into the Bliss as a preamp for my speaker amps (that I use for headphones as well)

This DAC looks very interesting. Would this be a suggested upgrade from a Bifrost 2? I'm looking for DSD support as I want to dabble with upscaling to formulate my own opinion.
Purely from a specifications perspective, the Cyan 2 should be better. Better sinad, better thd, better dynamic range, better support for various formats all the way up to 1024DSD, etc. I can't comment from a subjective perspective though.

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #218 of 818
I've been looking at the Cyan 2 and Frerot so these impressions were perfect for me, thank you! Sounds like the Frerot might be slightly more to my liking

Will do. Be prepared to wait 6-7 weeks for that though. I somehow missed when this launched and here I am I'm ordering 2 months later :frowning2:
I will also be testing Cyan 2 into the Bliss as a preamp for my speaker amps (that I use for headphones as well)

Purely from a specifications perspective, the Cyan 2 should be better. Better sinad, better thd, better dynamic range, better support for various formats all the way up to 1024DSD, etc. I can't comment from a subjective perspective though.
Does DSD require special cables? My amp has RCA passthrough to another amp. Do I need to worry about degradation for DSD512 or higher?

I'm starting to wonder if Toslink or RCA are no longer good enough for upscaled audio

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #219 of 818
Does DSD require special cables?
No.

My amp has RCA passthrough to another amp. Do I need to worry about degradation for DSD512 or higher?
Your question is not enough specific. Generally, every device in an audio chain should perform on the same level otherwise the poorer one creates a bottleneck.

I'm starting to wonder if Toslink or RCA are no longer good enough for upscaled audio
Generally, SPDIF is limited to 192k PCM or DoP DSD64.
Cyan 2 is able of 1536kHz PCM and native DSD1024 over USB and I2S.
See Cyan 2 specs on manufacturer page.

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #220 of 818
My amp has RCA passthrough to another amp. Do I need to worry about degradation for DSD512 or higher?
Just to add to bogi's answer, your amp doesn't care about DSD, it doesn't matter. The DSD is already converted by the time it gets to the amp (that's what the Cyan does, Digital to Analog Converter: DAC)

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #221 of 818
Understood. I completely forgot how everything worked. If the dac can handle the format and bit rate that you're upscaling to, it will convert it to analog and work just fine. For some reason I had myself worried than an upscaled track would be too much data for the cable...but it's analog. Ignore me lol

Feb 8, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #222 of 818
Does DSD require special cables? My amp has RCA passthrough to another amp. Do I need to worry about degradation for DSD512 or higher?

Halowe.

If one aspires, DSD1024 requires minimum cat6 bandwidth as rates exceed 100Mbps.

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #224 of 818
I currently have a Denafrips Pontus II DAC. Am I wrong to think that this Cyan 2 could not be as good as Pontus II because it has less components and power supply is not isolated from the rest of the components?

Feb 9, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #225 of 818
Cyan 2 is arrived - lightning fast from Netherlands 3 days :)

IMG_2271.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back