Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Apr 27, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #752 of 835
At this point, my short experience that I2S from DDC is superior to USB in every way except bass speed.
This uses basically a HDMI cable right? Anyone have any recommendations? (I seem to remember that you don’t need to spend that much money on those as compared to RCA or XLR, but might be wrong)

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #753 of 835
Should I try premium USB cable instead of generic one to properly compare I2S thru DDC vs USB?
Well, that is something you should try and decide for yourself. For some people certain premium USB cables bring some improvement, others will say don't bother. If you ask me personally the Excalibur improved clarity a little bit in my system when I bought it a few years ago, but I have no intention opening a debate with my post.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #754 of 835
Well, that is something you should try and decide for yourself. For some people certain premium USB cables bring some improvement, others will say don't bother. If you ask me personally the Excalibur improved clarity a little bit in my system when I bought it a few years ago, but I have no intention opening a debate with my post.
Agreed one should try it for themselves.

I have 2 Supra Excalibur usb cables going to the intona to the cyan 2 initially, then swapped out the Supra Excalibur cables with the $20 startech usb 3.0 certified cables (still with the intona), no difference.

Finally decided to take out the intona and ended up just using a single startech usb 3.0 cable, no difference.

Swapped again back to the Supra Excalibur with intona.

After a few months of trial, my conclusion was there’s zero differences in my system to my ears for the Cyan 2.

The intona, Supra usb setup did improve my ifi pro idsd dac that also has built in galvanic isolation. Zero impact on the Cyan 2

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #757 of 835
I got Blue Jeans Cable. Many people recommended it as reasonably priced solution. It somehow sounds better then HDMI 8k certified Direkt Kabel.
Cheers. What I’m reading sounds pretty great, sadly they don’t seem to be easily available in Europe… will keep my eyes out…

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #758 of 835
Cheers. What I’m reading sounds pretty great, sadly they don’t seem to be easily available in Europe… will keep my eyes out…
Get the entry level Supra USB cable. That's a pretty popular choice amongst Head-Fiers and even if you don't care about potential sonic improvements, it is a good investment in a durable cable that will serve you for a long time. (IMO it is better value and quality than overpriced AudioQuest cables for example. I am not a salesman this is just my experience.)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #759 of 835
Get the entry level Supra USB cable. That's a pretty popular choice amongst Head-Fiers and even if you don't care about potential sonic improvements, it is a good investment in a durable cable that will serve you for a long time.
Yes +1 on the regular Supra usb cable, i have a couple of those aa well, its affordable and up to spec. Another alternative I just recently noticed available are the intona usb 3.0 industrial cables that seems to be very well made and affordable as well

https://intona.eu/en/products/4053-x

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #760 of 835
Yes +1 on the regular Supra usb cable, i have a couple of those aa well, its affordable and up to spec. Another alternative I just recently noticed available are the intona usb 3.0 industrial cables that seems to be very well made and affordable as well

https://intona.eu/en/products/4053-x
Nice find, it just looks a bit like a shower hose. :)

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #762 of 835
That sheathing 😂

Gotta say that I’m not connecting a computer but only my CD-T and Linn Hub, so unlikely that USB would see any action…

Just curious to test that I2S, so looking for an adequate HDMI cable.

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #765 of 835
That sheathing 😂

Gotta say that I’m not connecting a computer but only my CD-T and Linn Hub, so unlikely that USB would see any action…

Just curious to test that I2S, so looking for an adequate HDMI cable.
I have used a standard Amazon 4K HDMI cable to connect a source into the Cyan2 I2S input, sounded just fine to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back