Holo Audio Bliss
Jul 12, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #2,613 of 3,247
Hi everyone, I'm a little confused about the Lo-Z and Hi-Z settings. I have the Hifiman Susvara, and the Dunu DK-4001 IEM, I was wondering which "Z" settings to use for each of these headphones. After reading through some posts here and trying things out, Lo-Z sounds cleaner, leaner and more neutral for both the Susvara and the Dunu IEM. So I was wondering if Hi-Z is only useful when you want a warmer, less neutral tone. Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #2,614 of 3,247
Hi everyone, I'm a little confused about the Lo-Z and Hi-Z settings. I have the Hifiman Susvara, and the Dunu DK-4001 IEM, I was wondering which "Z" settings to use for each of these headphones. After reading through some posts here and trying things out, Lo-Z sounds cleaner, leaner and more neutral for both the Susvara and the Dunu IEM. So I was wondering if Hi-Z is only useful when you want a warmer, less neutral tone. Thanks!
Lo Z and High Z affects impedance. According to the manual high z is recommend for headphones that are suppose to work with 151 Ohms or higher.

But let your ears decide what’s best. It seems with my 300 Ohm Senn. HD6xx Low Z sounds better while high Z seems to add a bit more bass but less control.

based on this forum , it seems low Z works well across all headphone types.

Jul 12, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #2,615 of 3,247
Lo Z and High Z affects impedance. According to the manual high z is recommend for headphones that are suppose to work with 151 Ohms or higher.

But let your ears decide what’s best. It seems with my 300 Ohm Senn. HD6xx Low Z sounds better while high Z seems to add a bit more bass but less control.

based on this forum , it seems low Z works well across all headphone types.
Thanks! Low Z does sound more in control of transients and has more detail.

Jul 12, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #2,616 of 3,247
Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with the Bliss KTE and HE6SE?? In order to get to a decent listening level, I'm at +00 gain and for critical listening sometimes +05 I think that is CRAZY high for these headphones. My chain is PC (Quboz) > Gustard R26 > Holo Bliss. PC volume is always on 100 percent and Quboz in Wasapi mode or Wasapi exclusive mode.

For reference my old amp was a iFi Pro iCan signature which ran them on medium gain around 9 O'clock in the dial

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #2,617 of 3,247
Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with the Bliss KTE and HE6SE?? In order to get to a decent listening level, I'm at +00 gain and for critical listening sometimes +05 I think that is CRAZY high for these headphones. My chain is PC (Quboz) > Gustard R26 > Holo Bliss. PC volume is always on 100 percent and Quboz in Wasapi mode or Wasapi exclusive mode.

For reference my old amp was a iFi Pro iCan signature which ran them on medium gain around 9 O'clock in the dial
You're either listening to very quiet recordings or something somewhere is not running at full gain. I'm usually near -20 db on Susvara with a 3V source.

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #2,618 of 3,247
Hello all,

May be Attenuation setting (if there is one) in R26 is ON...should be OFF

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #2,619 of 3,247
You're either listening to very quiet recordings or something somewhere is not running at full gain. I'm usually near -20 db on Susvara with a 3V source.
I’m actually having the same issue. I can get to +1 with Susvara with balanced which seems Way too close to the limit. My Dac is the Holo May.

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #2,620 of 3,247
I’m actually having the same issue. I can get to +1 with Susvara with balanced which seems Way too close to the limit. My Dac is the Holo May.
@GoldenOne can probably explain the details, but there is no concern of adequacy with Bliss for power hungry headphones, when operating in the upper volume range. If you have adequate audible volume, you are fine. I’ve not heard of people complaining about even quiet classical recordings with the amp.

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #2,621 of 3,247
-20 with a 3V source would mean a max output of 0.3V. Meaning you'd be listening on Susvara with 85dB peaks and probably 65-75dB RMS level.
That's quite a bit lower than usual. Not a bad thing though (lots of people listen above 95dB RMS which is REALLY not good)

Jul 12, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #2,622 of 3,247
-20 with a 3V source would mean a max output of 0.3V. Meaning you'd be listening on Susvara with 85dB peaks and probably 65-75dB RMS level.
That's quite a bit lower than usual. Not a bad thing though (lots of people listen above 95dB RMS which is REALLY not good)
My apologies, I miscalculated, it's actually -14 dB I forgot about the 6db balanced gain.
-10.5 db with a 3V source should be 94 db peak according to my spreadsheet, Roon volume leveling normalizes to -14 dB k-weighted average volume so that means 80 dB at the eardrums just to be safe :)
The -20 figure comes from the fact that the Roon normalization usually lowers the volume by about 5 dB.

Jul 12, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2,623 of 3,247
@GoldenOne can probably explain the details, but there is no concern of adequacy with Bliss for power hungry headphones, when operating in the upper volume range. If you have adequate audible volume, you are fine. I’ve not heard of people complaining about even quiet classical recordings with the amp.
Actually most amps reach their optimal technical measurements (intermodulation distortion, signal to noise ratio etc) close to max power so being close to max power is absolutely not a bad thing unless you have clipping!

Jul 12, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #2,624 of 3,247
Actually most amps reach their optimal technical measurements (intermodulation distortion, signal to noise ratio etc) close to max power so being close to max power is absolutely not a bad thing unless you have clipping!
Worth noting that gain =/= power.
One amp could be at max on the volume adjustment and at only 2% of its max power output, another could be at midday but would run out of power as soon as you went any higher.

This is unfortunately something manufacturers are taking advantage of in some instances, putting much higher gain on their amps than anyone would need because it makes people FEEL as though the amp is more powerful, even though actually the vol knob position/headroom is no indicator of power whatsoever

Jul 14, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #2,625 of 3,247
I have joined the Bliss crew.
I have got about 20h on it at the moment.
At first it sounded like the Niimbus now I am noticing a different in the high frequencies the Bliss has a nicer tone there more air.
The Niimbus seems to have more of a bump in the 3-5k area which in comparison makes the Niimbus sound drier using the HD800 as my reference.
I was having some wow moments last night with vocals and the size of the music.
Really happy my wallet wanted to try this. I thought would spend big and not itch again but I am glad I did.
Looking forward to more break in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back