Holo Audio Bliss
May 30, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #2,357 of 3,309
@devilboy that Susvara is 3,5 or 2,5? I saw some review that says the 3,5 version is easy to unplug accidentally. I am looking to add Susvara, so seems we could ending have same setup :p

In my opinion, apart from SQ that may have, you should take the ease of cable upgrade, liquidity, and availability into account when deciding between 2.5 and 3.5 mm also.

Cable swapping between your phone's collection too.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #2,358 of 3,309
3.5 Furutech and they are in pretty tight.
IMG_20230530_061842696_HDR.jpg

May 30, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #2,359 of 3,309
Has anyone actually noticed any difference between having them and not having them on this equipment?
It is always a good idea to keep anything with transformer, clock, tubes in anti vibration setup

May 30, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2,360 of 3,309
Is anyone using the Bliss and Serene together? I have a Serene in my 2Ch setup and I don't want to compromise on its ability as a preamp but I also want the best headphone amp so I am considering adding a Bliss and connecting it via the XLR1 out on my Serene preamp. Thoughts?
Both you and @fixated had a question about Bliss and Serene. I was using Serene as a pre with Ferrum OOR (in bypass mode) with Hypsos. I loved the combo (a lot). The Serene, even though not a colorful pre added a little something to the Ferrum Stack. Hard to describe but it was a great combo. I now use Khozmo passive pre with FS in bypass mode in a different setup (with Yggy). When I made that change I started using Serene as a pre for 2 channel and as pre for Bliss. Sounded great but my OCD got the best of me. With no bypass mode on Bliss, I found myself fiddling with the volume on Bliss way too much trying to find the "sweet" spot. I now use Bliss without a pre and use Serene with my 2ch (May acting as the DAC for Bliss and 2ch). Bliss without a pre is working great and my anal retentiveness is better :)

May 30, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #2,361 of 3,309
Thanks for sharing. So how do you have things connected? ..... XLR to Serene and SE to Bliss (or vice versa) or are you perhaps using an XLR switcher?

I was trying to avoid using SE from my May KTE and my idea with using the Serene as a Pre was to set Serene to 0dB and just control volume via the Bliss. The Serene is incredibly transparent that way for me for HT with Serene at 0dB.

May 30, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #2,362 of 3,309
Both you and @fixated had a question about Bliss and Serene. I was using Serene as a pre with Ferrum OOR (in bypass mode) with Hypsos. I loved the combo (a lot). The Serene, even though not a colorful pre added a little something to the Ferrum Stack. Hard to describe but it was a great combo. I now use Khozmo passive pre with FS in bypass mode in a different setup (with Yggy). When I made that change I started using Serene as a pre for 2 channel and as pre for Bliss. Sounded great but my OCD got the best of me. With no bypass mode on Bliss, I found myself fiddling with the volume on Bliss way too much trying to find the "sweet" spot. I now use Bliss without a pre and use Serene with my 2ch (May acting as the DAC for Bliss and 2ch). Bliss without a pre is working great and my anal retentiveness is better :)

Thanks for sharing. So how do you have things connected? ..... XLR to Serene and SE to Bliss (or vice versa) or are you perhaps using an XLR switcher?

I was trying to avoid using SE from my May KTE and my idea with using the Serene as a Pre was to set Serene to 0dB and just control volume via the Bliss. The Serene is incredibly transparent that way for me for HT with Serene at 0dB.

May 30, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #2,363 of 3,309

I have no experience with Serene, but someone reported after a considerable experimentation that Serene used for volume control into Bliss at 2-3 clicks from maximum volume sounded best, in that person’s opinion.

May 30, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #2,364 of 3,309

Right now I am using a switcher with just XLR. Then May shares with Bliss for HPs and Serene for 2CH. I also wanted to stick with XLR on May. Goldpoint makes super good quality switchers. There is a guy in Canada that makes really good switchers also: Al Freundorfer a.freundorfer@gmail.com

https://www.mapletreeaudio.com/

Using Serene as a pre for Bliss and 2ch amp would eliminate the need for a switcher. Serene has one of its XLR (XLR 1) outs set with a lower impedance specifically for headphone amps. The other XLR out (XLR 2) has a higher impedance for a 2ch amp. That is also why some people hook up their HPs to XLR 1 and use Serene as a headphone amp.

When using Serene as a pre for Bliss, I was told to put Bliss at "o" gain on the pot. But I cannot remember who told me that :)

Let me know how it goes. If I get around to it, I will play with Serene as a pre for Bliss again.

Edit: and by design the two XLR outs on the Serene are active at the same time. So turn off the two channel amp when using Bliss and vice versa.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #2,365 of 3,309
Right now I am using a switcher with just XLR. Then May shares with Bliss for HPs and Serene for 2CH. I also wanted to stick with XLR on May. Goldpoint makes super good quality switchers. There is a guy in Canada that makes really good switchers also: Al Freundorfer a.freundorfer@gmail.com
Good to know. Thanks very much.

Using Serene as a pre for Bliss and 2ch amp would eliminate the need for a switcher. Serene has one of its XLR (XLR 1) outs set with a lower impedance specifically for headphone amps. The other XLR out (XLR 2) has a higher impedance for a 2ch amp. That is also why some people hook up their HPs to XLR 1 and use Serene as a headphone amp.
Yeah I’m doing that now.

When using Serene as a pre for Bliss, I was told to put Bliss at "o" gain on the pot. But I cannot remember who told me that :)

Let me know how it goes. If I get around to it, I will play with Serene as a pre for Bliss again.
Will do. Didn’t order the Bliss yet but will soon.

Edit: and by design the two XLR outs on the Serene are active at the same time. So turn off the two channel amp when using Bliss and vice versa.

Good to know. Thanks!

Jun 1, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #2,366 of 3,309
New forum member here and this is my first post. Correct me if I step on any toes but I'll try to play by the rules...

This is a long thread so I haven't but glanced at a few pages. Seeing if I can get some helpful guidance regarding this Bliss amp. I am not really a headphones enthusiast. I have the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noires which I seldom use because I prefer listening with speakers. Currently have a Jotunheim 2 and Rega Elex-R as amplification. I just ordered the Spring 3 KTE DAC which has yet to be delivered. I am considering upgrading from my integrated amp to a power/pre separates approach. I'm inclined to go with Benchmark AHB2 for the power amp, and my primary candidates for preamp are either the Holo Serene or Bliss.

I understand that the Bliss is optimized for headphones especially flagship models like Susvara. I honestly doubt I will ever move up to that level of headphones but maybe someday. And I get that the Serene is more suitable as a regular preamp for speakers. On the face of it, seems like I would want to go with Serene since headphones aren't my main thing. Serene supposedly drives all but the most elite headphones but in order to do so requires an adapter cable to run from the rear panel which has two balanced output pairs. The Bliss KTE costs $300 more than the Serene KTE. To use the Serene with headphones requires an adapter cable costing about $250 I'm told. So the cost of either is close to equal in the end. The Bliss has two balanced and one unbalanced input, the Serene has two balanced and three unbalanced inputs. I only really need the two balanced and one unbalanced.

If anyone can advise, do you think the Bliss will do just as well as a preamp as the Serene when it comes to its balanced output? I would rather have the Bliss insofar as I could avoid the dangling adapter cable and it would be optimized for every headphone I could ever use (maybe down the road I do buy some crazy expensive cans)... but not if I'm going to sacrifice performance running speakers with the Bliss, compared with the Serene.

I'm basing my interest in the Serene and Bliss on the YT reviews by Goldensound and New Record Day and Convince Me Audio, all rave reviews from ears that I trust, and I think it would be good synergy with the Spring 3 DAC.

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #2,367 of 3,309
New forum member here and this is my first post. Correct me if I step on any toes but I'll try to play by the rules...

This is a long thread so I haven't but glanced at a few pages. Seeing if I can get some helpful guidance regarding this Bliss amp. I am not really a headphones enthusiast. I have the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noires which I seldom use because I prefer listening with speakers. Currently have a Jotunheim 2 and Rega Elex-R as amplification. I just ordered the Spring 3 KTE DAC which has yet to be delivered. I am considering upgrading from my integrated amp to a power/pre separates approach. I'm inclined to go with Benchmark AHB2 for the power amp, and my primary candidates for preamp are either the Holo Serene or Bliss.

I understand that the Bliss is optimized for headphones especially flagship models like Susvara. I honestly doubt I will ever move up to that level of headphones but maybe someday. And I get that the Serene is more suitable as a regular preamp for speakers. On the face of it, seems like I would want to go with Serene since headphones aren't my main thing. Serene supposedly drives all but the most elite headphones but in order to do so requires an adapter cable to run from the rear panel which has two balanced output pairs. The Bliss KTE costs $300 more than the Serene KTE. To use the Serene with headphones requires an adapter cable costing about $250 I'm told. So the cost of either is close to equal in the end. The Bliss has two balanced and one unbalanced input, the Serene has two balanced and three unbalanced inputs. I only really need the two balanced and one unbalanced.

If anyone can advise, do you think the Bliss will do just as well as a preamp as the Serene when it comes to its balanced output? I would rather have the Bliss insofar as I could avoid the dangling adapter cable and it would be optimized for every headphone I could ever use (maybe down the road I do buy some crazy expensive cans)... but not if I'm going to sacrifice performance running speakers with the Bliss, compared with the Serene.

I'm basing my interest in the Serene and Bliss on the YT reviews by Goldensound and New Record Day and Convince Me Audio, all rave reviews from ears that I trust, and I think it would be good synergy with the Spring 3 DAC.
@Tinnitus Andronicus , I like your forum moniker. :sunglasses:

I don't own any Holo products, but will offer my opinion anyway, FWIW. If headphone listening is primarily an afterthought for you, I'd probably go with the Serene. I'm fairly certain you can obtain the necessary adapter cable for far less than $250 from any number of third parties.

As an aside, I also ordered the Spring 3 KTE several months ago based on the effusive YT review from GS, and to see what all the forum buzz was about..... and ended up selling it after about a week. Its sonics improved notably in conjunction with HQPlayer, but I didn't really see the point of owning a NOS DAC that only sounded good (to me) with external oversampling. And even then, I didn't like it as much as either of my D/S DACs. I guess what I'm saying is don't take anything you read/watch on the Internet as gospel. OTOH, a lot of people love the Holo DACs, and maybe you will as well.

Jun 1, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #2,368 of 3,309
Bliss will do just as well as a preamp as the Serene when it comes to its balanced output?
Take it with a grain of salt, I asked this to Wildism awhile back, apparently the Bliss is "about 80% of Serene". I didn't enquire further on what that 20% is supposed to be.

In regards specifically to preamp performance for me, I can't perceive any quality loss for my particular use case of attenuating my May's hot output to my tube amp, it does its job perfectly for me.

However, If I am 2 channel focused I think I'd be better off with the Serene to maximize my performance gain on a setup that I use more frequently.

Jun 2, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #2,369 of 3,309
Take it with a grain of salt, I asked this to Wildism awhile back, apparently the Bliss is "about 80% of Serene". I didn't enquire further on what that 20% is supposed to be.

In regards specifically to preamp performance for me, I can't perceive any quality loss for my particular use case of attenuating my May's hot output to my tube amp, it does its job perfectly for me.

However, If I am 2 channel focused I think I'd be better off with the Serene to maximize my performance gain on a setup that I use more frequently.

Yes, I asked Tim @ Kitsune and he wouldn't be specific. Just said Bliss will serve better as a headphone amp, Serene better as a line amp. I was hoping for a more detailed answer, but whatever.

I'm also considering the HPA4, though many seem to think the Serene is more natural and 'musical' with the Benchmark being a bit more clinical. I know the factor of synergy comes into play... but which would be better: Spring/Serene/AHB2 or Spring HPA4/AHB2? Depends on user preference and other matters.

Maybe I won't even get a new amp. Maybe I will just stick with my Elex-R and Jotunheim.

Jun 2, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #2,370 of 3,309

Users who are viewing this thread

Back