Holo Audio Bliss
Dec 31, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #886 of 3,247
Dec 31, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #887 of 3,247
Are you talking about the ones that are $650 each?
Yes, this one: https://shunyata.com/products/audio-cables/venom-series-audio-cables/venom-xlr/ . Bought it second hand, so it was less.

However, I think that the result may be mostly due to Mogami 2549 being so bad compared to any proper XLR cable. I can't say how much better Venom is compared to other "proper" XLR cables (should be able to do some A/B to comment on that), but at least it made me watch Mogami like trash that one should never plug into a high-end system (and Mogami is highly regarded at least in professional circles). This was easily the biggest upgrade I've ever heard from cables and it was also a massive absolute upgrade for my system. Mogami was very obviously a bottleneck and I would compare this to upgrading a dac or switching from Windows compressed sound to bit perfect lossless.

But a comment on why I went Venom particularly: I knew myself and wanted to save some bucks and jump directly to Shunyata instead of cable hopping my way there. I've heard about Shunyata so many times that I wanted to try it (especially after another head-fier recommended it again). Now I absolutely love the way the setup sounds and I can also sleep my nights well knowing that I should be quite safely in the realm of diminishing returns. Venom was a "set it and and forget it" -solution for me, but I also wanted to verify my findings against Mogami as I never want to pay only for the looks or name. I would had sold Venom if the two would had sounded the same (and I wished that this would had been the outcome). However Venom crushed Mogami arrogantly and ostentatiously. It wasn't even a competition.

Dec 31, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #889 of 3,247
Dec 31, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #890 of 3,247
Dec 31, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #891 of 3,247
Jan 1, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #892 of 3,247
The first thing I would do is peeling of those stickers. They don't even look good itself with that oldschool shape/style. I'm absolutely no fan of any
stickers or whatever on my gear. I was thinking about removing the Kitsune fox of my incoming unit, but fortunately it machtes in color at least
and is not placed on the front.

Jan 1, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #893 of 3,247
boooyy you gonna give that guy a heartattack
hah, you're probably right.. sorry man

those Wildism stickers just remind me of dealer stickers on new cars

Jan 1, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #894 of 3,247
hah, you're probably right.. sorry man

those Wildism stickers just remind me of dealer stickers on new cars

Wait, it isn't a highly polished rare metal alloy bolted on?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #895 of 3,247
The first thing I would do is peeling of those stickers. They don't even look good itself with that oldschool shape/style. I'm absolutely no fan of any
stickers or whatever on my gear. I was thinking about removing the Kitsune fox of my incoming unit, but fortunately it machtes in color at least
and is not placed on the front.
FYI - It's been objectively measured to lose 20 dB in sinad once the Fox sticker is removed...

Jan 1, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #896 of 3,247
FYI - It's been objectively measured to lose 20 dB in sinad once the Fox sticker is removed...
Verified! And if you turn the sticker upside down it improves SINAD even further. Not tried vertical yet.

Jan 3, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #899 of 3,247
FYI, Tim (Kitsune) and Jeff (Holo) said that the Bliss does not support the LCD-R
Did he mention what's the supported impedance range btw? It would be very useful information to know.

Jan 3, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #900 of 3,247
Yes, this one: https://shunyata.com/products/audio-cables/venom-series-audio-cables/venom-xlr/ . Bought it second hand, so it was less.

However, I think that the result may be mostly due to Mogami 2549 being so bad compared to any proper XLR cable. I can't say how much better Venom is compared to other "proper" XLR cables (should be able to do some A/B to comment on that), but at least it made me watch Mogami like trash that one should never plug into a high-end system (and Mogami is highly regarded at least in professional circles). This was easily the biggest upgrade I've ever heard from cables and it was also a massive absolute upgrade for my system. Mogami was very obviously a bottleneck and I would compare this to upgrading a dac or switching from Windows compressed sound to bit perfect lossless.

But a comment on why I went Venom particularly: I knew myself and wanted to save some bucks and jump directly to Shunyata instead of cable hopping my way there. I've heard about Shunyata so many times that I wanted to try it (especially after another head-fier recommended it again). Now I absolutely love the way the setup sounds and I can also sleep my nights well knowing that I should be quite safely in the realm of diminishing returns. Venom was a "set it and and forget it" -solution for me, but I also wanted to verify my findings against Mogami as I never want to pay only for the looks or name. I would had sold Venom if the two would had sounded the same (and I wished that this would had been the outcome). However Venom crushed Mogami arrogantly and ostentatiously. It wasn't even a competition.

Now you've got me interested. I'm using the Mogamis as interconnects: May L2 > XLR Mogami + Neutrik > Bliss KTE > Susvara (stock cable). I'm having a hard time getting over my prejudice that it's snake oil though -- after all, pretty much all these recordings I'm listening to were produced with Mogami cables, so I struggle to see how the "original sin" could be corrected in reproduction if they truly are "trash" in the first place. Everything I've seen suggests they measure perfectly well, and unlike a DAC or an AMP, I think the measurements on a cable are probably all there is to it.

I wish I could audition them and see for myself. Unfortunately $650 a pair is pretty steep for cables, and the closed listings I've seen for the venoms have pretty poor resale if it doesn't work out, while at the same time being resold infrequently enough that I might be on the hunt for months to get them fully depreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back