Holo Audio Bliss
Dec 28, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #841 of 3,328
Thank you.
At this point in time the "problem" (if we can call it this way) is the Serene got 1 XLR output, so if you'd like to feed an external amplifier as well as the Bliss for the headphones, you are forced to use a XRL switcher as suggested before. It's not the end of the world, but just because as enthusiast we are a bit "perverse" if you allow me to say so, with the Bliss product release I'd prefear Holo Audio to release a "Serene V.2" as pure pre-amplifier without headphones driving capability.
Do someone knows if this is the Holo Audio plan for the near future ?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #842 of 3,328
Thank you.
At this point in time the "problem" (if we can call it this way) is the Serene got 1 XLR output, so if you'd like to feed an external amplifier as well as the Bliss for the headphones, you are forced to use a XRL switcher as suggested before. It's not the end of the world, but just because as enthusiast we are a bit "perverse" if you allow me to say so, with the Bliss product release I'd prefear Holo Audio to release a "Serene V.2" as pure pre-amplifier without headphones driving capability.
Do someone knows if this is the Holo Audio plan for the near future ?
The Serene has the "capability" to drive headphones through a special XLR to 4-Pin cable but it is not a feature and the ability to do that shouldn't change the use case as I see it but I am blind in one eye.

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #843 of 3,328
Yes, I know that the Serene can also drive headphones via one of the 2 XRL balanced output set, so basically it means that as "pure preamplifier" the Serene got "only" 1 balanced output. This is why I hope that now Bliss is on the market, and its specific for headphones driving, Holo Audio may release a new pure preamplifer with the capability and audio quality of the Serene but with 2 balanced output and no headphones out.

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #844 of 3,328
Yes, I know that the Serene can also drive headphones via one of the 2 XRL balanced output set, so basically it means that as "pure preamplifier" the Serene got "only" 1 balanced output. This is why I hope that now Bliss is on the market, and its specific for headphones driving, Holo Audio may release a new pure preamplifer with the capability and audio quality of the Serene but with 2 balanced output and no headphones out.
I may be misunderstanding you still but the only difference in the 2 sets of 4-pin XLR outputs on the Serene is that one has an output impedance of 3ohms and the other 40ohms, they both are 17Vrms output power. Is that an issue for your needs?

Again the Serene doesn't have a headphone output exclusively but it has 2 sets of 4-Pin XLR outputs in which the lower O Impedance one can be used to drive some power hungry headphones well.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #845 of 3,328
Obviously I'm the one that is misunderstanding the situation here at this point in time, and I apologize for this.
Reading the specs and watching the video reviews of the Serene I uderstood that only 1 XRL output was usable as "pure preamplifier" and the second one was used to drive most of the headphones out on the market (with some exception, of course).
That was my main concern.

If instead the two outputs are both usable as pre outs, "my problem" is not longer present.

Please give me one last advice: which one of the two XRL out would you use to connect an external amplifier and which one to connect the Bliss ?

Dec 28, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #846 of 3,328
Obviously I'm the one that is misunderstanding the situation here at this point in time, and I apologize for this.
Reading the specs and watching the video reviews of the Serene I uderstood that only 1 XRL output was usable as "pure preamplifier" and the second one was used to drive most of the headphones out on the market (with some exception, of course).

If instead the two outputs are both usable as pre outs, "my problem" is not longer present.

Please give me one last advice: which one of the two XRL out would you use to connect an external amplifier and which one to connect the Bliss ?
Not sure why you would want to drive the Bliss from the Serene. Whatever your source is, e.g. DAC, should feed both Serene and Bliss directly. This might mean using XLR out and RCA out on DAC or use XLR switcher on output of DAC. This will give you best sound quality.

Dec 28, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #847 of 3,328
I apologize again if I'm not being clear.
This is the audio chain in my idea for my desktop setup:
1) Holo May (with sources connected) XLR out ==> Holo Serene XLR in
2) Holo Serene XLR Out 1 ==> Active Speakers/Amplifier ==> Speakers
2) Holo Serene XLR Out 2 ==> Holo Bliss XLR in
3) Holo Bliss ==> Headphones
Does it make sense ?

Dec 28, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #848 of 3,328
Does it make sense ?
Yes and you can do that. You can also plug the May directly to the Bliss with RCA and skip the Serene but your plan is solid and should work afaik.

You can also sell the Serene and just use the preamp capabilities on the Bliss to drive speakers. That's probably the simplest and most cost effective option.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #850 of 3,328
Does it make sense ?
Sure, that will work but it’s not how I would do it. I would connect May to Bliss via RCA. Doing your suggested way adds an extra component in the chain for Bliss and an additional volume control. Keep it simple is the best way with fewer links in the chain.

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #851 of 3,328
Keep it simple is the best way with fewer links in the chain.
This was my biggest concern with basically a couple of pre-amps in the chain.
According to this, I guess that the best way for me now is to replace the Serene with a Bliss and try to find a temporary peace of mind :beyersmile:
If it works really 50 to 75% of the Serene as audio quality, we are talking about a great preamplifier, so I should not regret this choice.

Dec 28, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #852 of 3,328

I would use both XLR outputs connected with one to a set of powered monitors, and one to the Bliss (Bliss volume at 85%) in your situation and see how it sounds, I’d flip the set of xlr cables (not the individual left/right cables but the sets) and try it again and see if I heard a difference and if I preferred one over the other.

Now for me and my setup which is Dynaudio Monitors (May DAC) and then a multitude of headphones all the time, I would do as others have suggested and just use the Bliss as my pre/hp amp with the Dynaudio being connected via the XLR outs. If I was connecting a power amplifier to a high end set of Focal or Zu Speakers (or something of the like) then I might keep the Serene as a pre but in my near field setup I would hope to be content with the Bliss pulling double duty as it was designed for.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #854 of 3,328
Thanks for your advices

Sure, that will work but it’s not how I would do it. I would connect May to Bliss via RCA. Doing your suggested way adds an extra component in the chain for Bliss and an additional volume control. Keep it simple is the best way with fewer links in the chain.
Let me summarize my experience. I have May (L2) and Serene (KTE) connected via Cardas Golden Reference XLR cable 1m long. My headphone amp is Violectric V550 Pro and I experimented connecting it to Serene's XLR1 or XLR2 outs, and also directly to May's RCA out, always using the same type (Golden Reference) and length (1m) of Cardas interconnects, of course with the appropriate termination (XLR, RCA). I didn't use any converters or splitters.

After practicing some volume matching and following the repeated listening sessions, I found out that Serene's XLR 1 or XLR2 outs provide slightly (just slightly) more resolving and pleasing/fuller sound as compared to May's RCA out. I could also easily live with May's RCA out as those differences were not big, but they were detectable. This is in my setup, using Cardas interconnects and Violetric V550 Pro headphone amp and Meze Empyrean headphones for listening.

So, I ended up connecting my headphone amp to Serene's XLR1 (by the way, the user manual says: XLR1 is for headphone amplifier) and my desktop power amp with desktop speakers to Serene's XLR2. Of course, other setups may give a different outcome. What I want to say, fewer links is definitely preferred in theory, but it is always good to try and listen with your own ears. This was exactly the advice from Wildism Audio in Hong Kong when I asked them to recommend the preferred connection, before experimenting. Somehow, in my setup, the Serene preamplifier added a nice taste to the overall sound quality, and I am not sure why. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back