Holistic HD800? Advice welcome, warning: contains rambling.
Dec 17, 2009 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

oktapod

Head-Fier
Hi folks.

I'm beginning to feel that asking for people's opinions on various headphones is really a waste of time unless I know their sources. After all, something like an Arcam cd player has a different character to (say) a Naim cd player, which in turn will be very different to a Logitech Transporter and so on.

With this in mind, the conclusion I have come to is that some sources are likely to present a particular 'view' of the music which will suit the characteristics of certain headphones more than others. ANd the same would be true of headphone amps too. For instance, a slightly treble-happy source will work better with a slightly darker voiced headphone.

With all that in mind, at what point do we draw the line?

I'm on the verge of buying a pair of HD800 which will be driven by a Graham Slee Novo head-amp. Sources will be an AVI Lab Series CD player and a heavily modified Logitech Squeezebox v3 (converted to two-box). Rest of the system includes matching AVI Lab Series pre and mk2 power amp, NVA cabling, 4 x 32A dedicated spurs (sources/preamps/power/spare) on a dedicated mains consumer unit. Speakers in transition, hence move to headphone listening (that, plus 3yo and 6mo sons :)

This is a pretty balanced, detailed and neutral system, and the dedicated mains helps lift performance by at least as much as any cable combination I've tried. As I'm UK based, I am not familiar with most of the systems of other members, but I'd say my system is certainly at least decent with no flaws.

I'm trying to think of the source->headphone chain in a holistic way, and wondering whether the HD800 would be capable of revealing all that lurks on those cds or in those flacs, without tearing apart any hitherto unseen flaws in the rest of the system. Or, are HD800s overkill in a system of this level (rough 'converted to US$' value perhaps $10k new?).

My objective in a headphone is something that I can wear for two hours without any discomfort - auditory or physical - with great detail and as little of that 'in the head' sound as I can get - which I think the HD800 offers. I also want great dynamics and rhythmical accuracy, and good bass (which isn't overblown). Essentially something with the resolution of a good active studio monitor and the listenabililty of a good 'flat earth' system. I think the HD800 is that headphone, and whilst I would love to be in a position to try a Stax system out, my budget doesn't stretch to the Omega setup and most people seem to suggest that you need to go to that level to outperform the HD800+decent amp.

Does anyone have any guidance on this subject? Particularly in the mating of quality solid-state cd/flac playback to HD800s? Music tastes range from some hard rock through a majority of acoustic or light rock/indie, to the occasional classical and jazz. Certainly not a lot of 'electronica' or rap/chart-based corporate pop in my collection. I also have a vinyl setup which I've scaled back from a higher performance system (SPacedeck HD/Lyra Helikon m/c) to a more modest Rega system with AT33 PTG cart, but this is in storage for a bit.

OK, long post, any and all input appreciated!

John

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 13
I guess folks 'round here must have their oktapod filter set to on
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 13
Hi John, I think you kind of touched on answering your own question. There’s no way of getting around your dilemma, without hearing a pair in your own system. I’ve heard my own HD800’s sound quite ordinary in different systems, or at least not to my taste.

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 13
You do not need HD 800 to achieve that. HD 555 + the right gear and maybe a complimentary anti-voodoo therapy and this is it.

Different sources produce basically the same sound, what you hear is the difference between their exteriors. A bulky, black, massive box will produce bassy and powerful sound, while a lightweight shiny one (and with some diminutive knobs) will be certainly bright and analytical, and with some edge to the sound. It can be proven in any sighted test. I call it a kind of sound-vision synesthesia.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do not need HD 800 to achieve that. HD 555 + the right gear and maybe a complimentary anti-voodoo therapy and this is it.

Different sources produce basically the same sound, what you hear is the difference between their exteriors. A bulky, black, massive box will produce bassy and powerful sound, while a lightweight shiny one (and with some diminutive knobs) will be certainly bright and analytical, and with some edge to the sound. It can be proven in any sighted test. I call it a kind of sound-vision synesthesia.

You're my hero.
cool.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

If only this was true... sadly your sarcasm does not equate into reality.

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If only this was true... sadly your sarcasm does not equate into reality.

He's not being sarcastic, duder... but, this is one thing I can't wait to test one day... when I can afford to justify the big HD800 purchase.

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 13
Anyway, I've had a moment of madness and taken the plunge. Dealer has done a great price (see other thread) complete with 30 day return if not entirely happy. So, I am going to be finally moving away from my AKGs (which although reasonably decent sounding aren't that comfy).

SHould have them within the week, got the last pair in the batch apparently...

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 13
I wouldn't bother asking about the HD800 around here. There are too many people with an agenda to filter before you can get to a true answer. You will know for yourself soon enough.

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 13
Hi oktapod

I think you make the right choice: try for yourself. But be prepared for a shock treatment! The HD 800 may sound very harsh and shrill out of the box. Mine did. It took me more than 400 hours to appreciate its sonic signature, and now I'm a big fan of it. Don't know how much was break-in and how much was getting used to the sound – I guess it's about 50:50.

Yes, source and amp play an important part! But there's a simple way of fine-tuning the HD 800's sonic balance in favor of a smoother sound and more bass if need be.

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Different CDPs sound very different just not as large as amps do.

What I heard HD800 at Seattle meet with 4 different sources (2 CDPs, 2 computers, one is Arcam) and amps. I feel HD800 is not very engage sounding. They are very amp dependent to sound right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back