Hmmmm...Red Clou/HD 600's
Sep 7, 2001 at 9:21 PM Post #16 of 24
Maybe, maybe not... but there sure is a lot of raving AFTER they get the Clou cable... in favor of the Clou, I might add.

Sep 7, 2001 at 9:52 PM Post #17 of 24
Hey Guys,

This post was not meant to be aggresive.....I was trying to get your opinion of some hype. I really believe that once we have spent our money on a particular product, we tend to hear things that "just ain't there".

There is no question in my mind that you are hearing more bass. My question is ......"what are you giving up for the extended bass?"

Listen carefully......this is not an argument....just a simple test of sound vs spending.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Rick

Sep 7, 2001 at 9:58 PM Post #18 of 24
I will now spend the rest of today listening to the stock cable... I know I can part with my Clou Red for half a day.... I know I can.... I know I can.....

If I change my mind about the two, I'll let you know.

Brian.

Sep 7, 2001 at 10:18 PM Post #19 of 24
briantf27,

Bless your heart...dude, and I mean that. Don't put yourself through any torture.

It is apparent that you , like many others really appreciate the
sound of the Clou's. I think that is great. I just have a different outlook on this "thang" and wanted to get some opinions from some of the headphone people in this room.

I respect you all....this was an experiment on diminishing returns regarding hi-fi mods.

I'll keep my HD600's with stock cable and wish you all happy listening for years to come.....

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Rick

Sep 7, 2001 at 10:38 PM Post #20 of 24
phoneprone, i can agree on the subjectiveness of the benefits or demerits of Clou cables however i also did notice some improvements with the Clou cable over the stock and i may have a reason why this is so while it may not be so for others. i've been thinking the imrpovements are due to the clous sheilding RF or other noise near my set up being that i have all kinds of "noisy" electronics nearby which may have been degrading the sound quality with the stock cables. personally the improvements seemed most apparent in the mid-range and less grainy treble but i'm not sure about bass response. so the improvements or lack there of may also be influenced by ones particular location in regard to electronic noise...

in any case it i think it would be very informative if Headroom did objective testing on both cables to determine what differences one can expect from either cable...

Sep 7, 2001 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 24
I did spend about an hour, after you first posted, switching back and forth between Clou and stock. The immediate observations from that exercise were that the Clou has deeper bass extension (the obvious); the Clou is more revealing (I can hear more of what is in a recording); the Clou is slightly more detailed. People mentioned greater overall transparency through the Clou, and I'm not sure I hear that. We'll see...

But as I sit here now, listening through the stock cable, I won't say I dislike it. But I do miss what get through the Clou. And I just can't hear that midrange film or mask that you say the muddy Clou bass generates. I am just sitting here hearing less bass (not tighter bass), less music, and less detail. If anything, the sound through the *stock* cable sounds a tad muffled or less dynamic.

One thing for sure, however, is this... Changing tubes in my MG Head DT has a far greater effect on the sound than changing the cables. In terms of bang for the buck, there is no comparison.

That's what I hear, but I'll give it the rest of the day. And, trust me, the $100 or so I spent on the Clou isn't biasing me. I'd give it up in a second in the name of better sound - I wear these things 10+ hours a day!

Have a good one.

Brian.

Sep 8, 2001 at 3:02 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

There is no question in my mind that you are hearing more bass. My question is ......"what are you giving up for the extended bass?"

The thing is... everyone else says that the Clou cable gives them more detail -- apparently the polar opposite of what you're saying?

Oct 24, 2001 at 6:33 PM Post #23 of 24
I can see the difference between Clou and stock cable. What I can't see is the difference between the Clou Red and Clou Blue. Do I have to be in a highly electromagnetic environment to be able to tell the benefit of triple shielding as compared to double shielding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back