Hmmmm...Red Clou/HD 600's
Sep 5, 2001 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

RickG

Electrostatic Elvis
This was a strange morning...got outta' bed and came downstairs to listen to some music. Using my Senn HD 600's with red Clou Jaspis cables, something hit me. No longer was I hearing the great mids and top end that endeared me to these cans to begin with.

I wondered... "what is happnin' here?", so I really started thinking about what I was hearing-hmmm.....

A blossoming bass that moved like a dark cloud and obscured the famous mids that these phones are known for.

Was this a trick of the mind? Was this a revelation of sorts to move me to explore an explanation??

After listening to tracks from some of my favorite discs', I decided to do the unmentionable.....I replaced the Clou's with the origional cables.

Bingo!!!!

The sweet mids and top were there, along with the fine bass and focus that brought me closer to the music the first time I listened to them.

The difference is striking... Do yourself a favor if you have been listening to the Senn/Clou combo for a while and listen for about thirty minutes and then pop in your origional cables.

I have been using my Clou's for about six months and now they are for sale.

Sometimes we hear what our pocketbooks think we should hear!!

Rick
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2001 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 24
I use Blue Jaspis and the most noticeable change in sound vs stock cord was deeper/fuller bass. The treble/midrange became slightly more detailed/open, still silky smooth but not a big change. Overall effect was a more dynamic/powerful sound because of bass extension.

I have no plans ever to remove Blue Jaspis, I think changes to sound are a definite improvement and sound very natural to me.

But because of the changes noted above, some may prefer the
original cable, thats the beauty of cable changes, you can chose
whichever sounds best to you.

Sep 5, 2001 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 24
Well, I guess if you think the 580s/600s already have more than enough bass, you probably won't want the Clou cables. As for me, I'm keeping my RED Clou cable.

Sep 5, 2001 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 24
I will do this today. I've actually never really used the stock cable because I bought the Clou Red simultaneously with the phones. I'll give you my impressions tomorrow.

Brian.

Sep 7, 2001 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 24
Well, I just did a test between my Red Clous and the stock cables, and I pretty much agree with Dark Angel. The Clous plainly beat the stocks into the ground. Immediately greater transparency, and a much more present bass was noticeable when I switched first from the Clous, to the stocks, and then back again to the Clous. It's noticeable enough that I couldn't live without it on my Senns if I know there is such a difference there.

Oh well...as usual...read my signature.
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2001 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 24
Rick
Where did you sell them? As soon as this post started I went right to for sale adds here and Audiogon and couldn't find an add,
I would have bought them from you as I have both HD580/600
and then could have red/blue jaspis for both.

What price did they sell for?

Sep 7, 2001 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 24
I'm in agreement with Vertigo-1. The stock cable is inferior to my ears, and not in a subtle way either. I gave the stock cord a chance, but after about an hour I just had to switch back to the Clou. There goes an hour of my life I'll never get back.... :wink:

Brian.

Sep 7, 2001 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 24
shesh, now you guys are making me itchie to buy the damn cable to try.. using stock here..

Tides

Sep 7, 2001 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 24
DarkAngel and Head-Fi people-

I sold my red Clou's to a friend here in Santa Cruz for $75.00. Keeping in mind that audio listening is at the least, subjective, I stand by my observations on this mod.

In my oppinion, the bass that turns everyone on is simply a mask on the low mids to the top end. This is the way I hear the cable. If you like a muddy, bloated bottom end..well, this is your cable.

Contemplate this: Why would Senn place an inferior cable on one of the best selling and best sounding dynamic phones over the past years?

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Rick

Sep 7, 2001 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 24
just to add confusion to the mix.
smily_headphones1.gif

i just received my Clou Blue, erm... 15 mins ago. (thanks headroom!). just plugged it in, and immediately notice more detail. need to listen more and burn it in before i will comment more...

and i am just turning blue in general.

Sep 7, 2001 at 7:57 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

phoneprone said...

Contemplate this: Why would Senn place an inferior cable on one of the best selling and best sounding dynamic phones over the past years?

Probably for the same reasons they actually sell crappy phones like the 490s!
tongue.gif

That's cool if you don't like the Clou. But like you said, everybody hears differently. The extra bass I hear is both more extended and just as tight (if not tighter) than w/ the stock cable. Anyways, happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2001 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 24
dhwilkin,

Hmmm, I wonder why all these folks rave about the sound of the HD 600's??... probably not because
they came with a red/Clou cable......

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back