Hmmm Build computer, or buy more audio stuff?
May 1, 2011 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Blasto_Brandino

Has changed names to BattleBrat
Alright my brothers, over the last two months you guys might have noticed a few new toys in my sig, you see I had planned on building a computer months ago but the 1155 recall kicked me in the duff. The 1155's have been rereleased and it is time for me to begin, but here is my problem; I only have 2 months ~$1000 to spend before I HAVE to pay off the CD player and paying off the cd player will take 2-3 months, during which I cannot buy anything. Now I am going to use an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe MOBO in an NXZT LEXA case I have (I also have a HAF-X case new in the box, but I'm waiting for EVGA to release a new top board) Now should I build a basic running machine off that board and upgrade after I pay off the cd player (and buy audio equipment with the 1k), or should I suck it up and live with my Albatron based P4 @3ghz  (the computer is essentially maxed out Nvidia Geforce 7950 GT Creative Audigy 2zs Platinum Pro card 4gigs of ram (3.5 under XP) ) for  *gulp* 4-6 months

May 2, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 7
I gave up on computer stuff when I got into audio. I used to reconfigure the Linux box every six months or so, but haven't fooled with it for years.

I'm still running an old 2.0GHz Athlon64, single core. Radeon 9800 video card, and 4GB of RAM. That's thrift store stuff these days. But it continues to run and feels fast enough. Every so often, I think about dropping $300-$400 for new stuff, but why? It runs and does what I need. When it dies, I'll upgrade. It's still a good, usable computer.

That doesn't mean you have to spend the saved money on audio, though. Maybe save it or spend it on something else.

May 2, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 7
Would you use the computer to its full capabilities, or would you use it for the exact same thing you are doing with the computer you already have? Unless you do something that requires a high amount of power from a better gpu, cpu and ram like games, video editing, etc. there really is no need. 

May 2, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 7
Yeah, just get something mid level or so unless you HAVE to play the latest AAA games and have to crank up every video setting to extreme at 1900x1200. These days, I find myself listening to music more than I play games, and the Sager laptop I bought last year is still chewing through everything I throw at it, so I'm set for the next couple of years at least.

Ok, I just looked at your specs again, and to be truthful, P4 pretty much sucks now. Maybe compromise and get something like an i5? Your gpu doesn't seem to be too horrible.

May 2, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 7
I have the new Intel I5 with revised Sandy Bridge B3 implemented with Asus Sabertooth P67. I just built my computer a few weeks ago for a total of about $900. I did it after upgrading my whole audio rig however. I never play any games on my computer but I need a fast computer to handle all the things I do with it. I'm VERY happy with just the EVGA GTX 460. There's no videos it can't play and with the I5 cpu, there's nothing I can't do with my computer. I haven't seen my computer go past 50% usage yet.  Also, if you use an external DAC, you can get perfect audio reproduction from using the optical out of something like the Asus Sabertooth motherboard. You don't need another sound card.

May 2, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 7
I have never really been able to play the latest games, this computer JUST squeaked by playing Bioshock 2, but I want to play with advanced textures and all the goodies on, and I want to play Bioshock 3, my current computer can't handle it.

Quote:
I gave up on computer stuff when I got into audio. I used to reconfigure the Linux box every six months or so, but haven't fooled with it for years.

I'm still running an old 2.0GHz Athlon64, single core. Radeon 9800 video card, and 4GB of RAM. That's thrift store stuff these days. But it continues to run and feels fast enough. Every so often, I think about dropping $300-$400 for new stuff, but why? It runs and does what I need. When it dies, I'll upgrade. It's still a good, usable computer.

That doesn't mean you have to spend the saved money on audio, though. Maybe save it or spend it on something else.

I'd like this computer to last ~5 years, just like the computer I'm using now did. I recently got the vid card just before I got bioshock 2, I looked at Bioshock 2's specs and realized the computer would just run it, and to be honest, it ran rather well.

Quote:
Yeah, just get something mid level or so unless you HAVE to play the latest AAA games and have to crank up every video setting to extreme at 1900x1200. These days, I find myself listening to music more than I play games, and the Sager laptop I bought last year is still chewing through everything I throw at it, so I'm set for the next couple of years at least.

Ok, I just looked at your specs again, and to be truthful, P4 pretty much sucks now. Maybe compromise and get something like an i5? Your gpu doesn't seem to be too horrible.

I was going to go with a The Sabertooth P67 but the P8P67 Deluxe offered me the option of running to top level video cards at full tilt (there will be extensive water cooling, I was thinking about the external Zalman water cooler jobbies)

I got my hands on a pair of B&W Matrix M805's and MIT Terminator 4 biwire cables and a B&K reference 125.2 amp, They will be used with a Creative sound card (whatever their audiophile type card is at the moment) until I get my hands on a Grace 903

Quote:
I have the new Intel I5 with revised Sandy Bridge B3 implemented with Asus Sabertooth P67. I just built my computer a few weeks ago for a total of about $900. I did it after upgrading my whole audio rig however. I never play any games on my computer but I need a fast computer to handle all the things I do with it. I'm VERY happy with just the EVGA GTX 460. There's no videos it can't play and with the I5 cpu, there's nothing I can't do with my computer. I haven't seen my computer go past 50% usage yet.  Also, if you use an external DAC, you can get perfect audio reproduction from using the optical out of something like the Asus Sabertooth motherboard. You don't need another sound card.

May 2, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 7
I look at it this way, if I buy PC stuff it will be obsolete and have dropped value massively in a few months, where as generally headphones stay at the same value or increase value and they do not get out dated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back