Hmmm Black Macbook, or Bottom MacBookPro?
Jun 19, 2008 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

porfryrieggwo

Head-Fier
Well im just a college student, looking for a college laptop. Is the screen size, speed, Video card, and sexy metal worth it over the less expensive, lighter weight Macbook?

I will probably dual boot vista or xp, for the programs i might possiblely need.

Which do you own, or would you get?

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 49
I would get the MBP, simply because I can run the programs I use the most (Photoshop, Illustrator and Lightroom) faster, plus it has a 'proper' gfx card. The sexy metal+screen is a big plus too.
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 49
How do you plan on using it? The Pro is pretty large and not very good for taking around everywhere and literally using on your lap, for example. I find the regular Macbooks much more versatile. I'd only invest in a Pro if I was going to be using it mainly as a desktop that I might sometimes need to take with me to use as a desktop somewhere else.

That said, you might want to wait on it a little. Rumour has it they're changing the Macbook lineup soon and are going to be incorporating metal cases on all models. That's what I'm waiting for.

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 49
Why Black? The mid tier ($1299) white macbook is almost the same as the black one and get the money difference to upgrade to 4GB RAM, you'll need it for Fusion or Parallel. I loved the portability of 13 inch, I'll buy a MBP if they offer a 13inch one.

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 49
I wouldn't go with the high end MB, I would advocate either the minimum MB that meets your needs (best value), or get the low end MBP. I *love* my MBP. I've had several friends that had MBs and they regretted it - they didn't stand up (Although we're pretty heavy computer users).

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 49
The worst thing about the black MacBook is that it is matte and shows all of your fingerprints and oils from your skin, especially the track pad will become shiny rather quickly and there is nothing you could do about it. Also, the Macbook Pro uses an LED screen which is a better version of the LCD screen; clearer, more resolution, deeper blacks, and saves a lot of battery life. I use a white MacBook myself. I am very happy with it but the Pro is better. But the design snob in me wants the Air.

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 49
Macbook Pro all the way!

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 49
one unbearable difference maybe: pro gives you a matte screen.

also, check the clearance store. a bottom end last gen mbp might not run very far from the blackbook. I believe with student discount, it was $1499 from what I remember.

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 49
What's your major going to be? If you need 3D graphics processing, the MB won't cut it and you'll need the MBP. If you're going to be mostly typing papers, the MB is fine. I have a MBP and love it, but if I have to leave the house with a laptop, I take my Powerbook G4 12" as it's more portable

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csidinim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one unbearable difference maybe: pro gives you a matte screen.

also, check the clearance store. a bottom end last gen mbp might not run very far from the blackbook. I believe with student discount, it was $1499 from what I remember.

No, now you can get the Pro with a matte OR glossy screen. Your choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back