Hmmm, 39$ digital HIGH-END amp....!?!?
Oct 25, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #62 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
... and then through the Magenta ADE-24. With the ADE-24, it was pretty nice music indeed!

Good to see some people are actually using a Mexican component. By the way, is thar Radioshack speaker still available in stores?

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #63 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Could anybody explain this a little more in details, it is confusing for me......How the hell if the signal you provide the amp is analog, you will get at the output a digital signal without the use of any DAC??? How the speakers transform this digital signal into sound later???

The Tripath amplifier is not "digital" in the same sense that the Tact amplifier is "digital". The Tact amplifier accepts a PCM signal and uses a proprietary method to convert it directly into a pulse width modulated (PWM) output which drives the loudspeakers. The Tripath amplifier accepts a standard line-level analog signal and uses a proprietary sigma-delta modulator to convert the analog signal into the same sort of PWM output.

The output of the Tripath amplifier is "digital" in the sense that there are only two allowed states - off, and fully "on" (the output devices are MOSFET). The use of the term "digital" is unfortunate, but we seem to be stuck with it. Thank your local consumer electronics marketeer.

The PWM output is low-pass filtered not by the loudspeakers, but by an LC network mounted very close to the output MOSFETs.

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #64 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
To the latter point: I don't see any problems with «wild» impedance curves in the audio band. What's important is that you have a load impedance of around 6 ohm at 20 kHz and above to achieve the intended low-pass filter corner-frequency and characteristic. (If necessary, you can switch an RC element in parallel to the speakers.)

The Tripath reference design includes the low-pass filtering. There is also a Zobel (at 80kHz) to quell any peaking of the LC at no-load.

The amp is very happy at 4 Ohms. Cooling can be an issue if you plan to run it hard in a hot environment. Supplementing the existing heat-sinking can be beneficial.

Oct 25, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #65 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
Got to love VAT and European taxes. A XR25 cost 450€ here at least, it's 560US$.

Are you sure you didn't mix that up with the SA-XR45? Just as an example: http://www.zarsen.de/index.php?page=...ct=6087&cat=18

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 25, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #66 of 101
I got the amp and it sounds GREAT!
Got some questions though:

What would be smartest, to use a 12V 7A battery (how?), 8 ni-mh batteries, or a min 2A? 12V Battery booster/eliminator? Any cheap good ones you could recommend? Would a 1 or 1.5A one be too weak?

Are there any cheap pre-amps out there that's likely too improve my T-amp (I read that the integrated volume control ain't the best). For now the smartest option for me will be running the line-out signal at max volume and limiting the sound with the amp and not at the soundcard?

What is likely to sound better, the minijack - minijack cable or a good mini jack to RCA cable with a generic mini - RCA adapter? Maybe the oehlback? mini - mini cable is good?

Nov 3, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #67 of 101
maybe someone could help me find some inexpensive speakers that could be driven by this guy. my budget is getting beat up, and that might be a viable option for me. how efficient do they need to be?

Nov 3, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #69 of 101
uzziah: That actually depends on how loud you want to listen. However, iirc, the thingy is able to produce some 10 W at 4 Ohm - and one usually want a reserve of ~ 10 dB in order not to get distorted volume peaks, which leaves you 1 W. So an efficiency of ~ 90 dB should be desirable in this case. Thus I'd think something like a JBL Control One would be your best bet.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 3, 2004 at 9:45 AM Post #70 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Are you sure you didn't mix that up with the SA-XR45?

I should have remembered that everything electronic was cheaper in Germany. No, the prices I was giving are definitely for the XR25 in France and Belgium.

Nov 3, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #71 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
Good to see some people are actually using a Mexican component. By the way, is thar Radioshack speaker still available in stores?

Sorry Onix, JUST saw this....yes, Margules makes some GREAT products, I also have a phono pre by them. That ADE-24 is a VERY nice unit for cheap money, does good to most cheap digital sources I've hooked it up to.

Regarding the Radio Shack speakers, they are long gone fromt he catalog, at least the LX-4's. They still do have some speakers using the Linneaum-design tweeter, but they don't seem to be as good as the LX-4's. Though the veneer on the 4's is peeling off!
eek.gif

Gratuitous link to Margules: click me!

Nov 3, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #72 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
Sorry Onix, JUST saw this....yes, Margules makes some GREAT products, I also have a phono pre by them. That ADE-24 is a VERY nice unit for cheap money, does good to most cheap digital sources I've hooked it up to.

Regarding the Radio Shack speakers, they are long gone fromt he catalog, at least the LX-4's. They still do have some speakers using the Linneaum-design tweeter, but they don't seem to be as good as the LX-4's. Though the veneer on the 4's is peeling off!
eek.gif

Gratuitous link to Margules: click me!

Thanks Skull. The Margules office is a couple of blocks from my office and I have wanted to visit them for some time. But I never have enough moolah to make my visit a worthy one. I really need to get a better job. Thanks for the info on the speakers. I think I'll settle for their carboard speakers, since some people seem to like them.

Nov 3, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #73 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
uzziah: That actually depends on how loud you want to listen. However, iirc, the thingy is able to produce some 10 W at 4 Ohm - and one usually want a reserve of ~ 10 dB in order not to get distorted volume peaks, which leaves you 1 W. So an efficiency of ~ 90 dB should be desirable in this case. Thus I'd think something like a JBL Control One would be your best bet.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

so you think if i got some speakers at least 90db efficient i'd be doing all right?

Nov 4, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #74 of 101
I have to ask again, sorry, but who's going to be the first to try this with cans? Anybody brave enough? Keep in mind you'll need an adapter.
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2004 at 9:03 AM Post #75 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
so you think if i got some speakers at least 90db efficient i'd be doing all right?

That would be ideal, but rather hard to find on a low budget. You should probably already be alright with something around 87 dB/W already.

It really depends on how loud you want to have your music, though: If you don't really want to listen in a loud volume (< 80 dBSPL), an efficiency ~ 87 dB/W should easily do. Whereas, if you want to blast your neighbourship with 120 dBSPL, you probably won't find any speaker that would manage that in combination with the T-Amp.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back