HM5 (FA-003) with a tad more bass
Oct 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kaldari

New Head-Fier
I've been using M50s for general listening for quite a while now. I was curious as to how the HM5s sounded with all the shining reviews, and I'm not disappointed at all. I went into this knowing they were very neutral, so I'm definitely not here to complain about that fact. The M50s and HM5s are pretty much equal in my mind for very different reasons, at least as far as how often I'll use each goes.

The sound stage and mid/high clarity are obviously superior on the HM5s. I can distinctly pick out more on them and absolutely love it. Sometimes, however, I want to feel the base just a bit more. It adds to the listening experience for me. I plan on swapping back between the two headphones pretty much equally. I do agree the M50s are a bit heavy on the bass, so I'm looking for the best in-between compromise if it's out there at a reasonable price.

Can you guys recommend something with the sound stage and clarity of the HM5s with just a tad more bass but no more than the M50s? I would actually prefer a hair less than M50s if possible.

These two headphones obviously show you I'm not in the market for a $1,500 pair, but I don't mind going up a little if it gets me what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

edit: I should probably mention that I'm running an O2 DAC and O2 AMP.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 9
I'm watching this thread for the answer to this question.
It was the first thing on my mind when I got my HM5's and over time I forgot because I got used to the sound and I had my D2Ks whenever I craved bass.

I'm hoping there's one in the $100-$175 range.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
I've been using M50s for general listening for quite a while now. I was curious as to how the HM5s sounded with all the shining reviews, and I'm not disappointed at all. I went into this knowing they were very neutral, so I'm definitely not here to complain about that fact. The M50s and HM5s are pretty much equal in my mind for very different reasons, at least as far as how often I'll use each goes.

The sound stage and mid/high clarity are obviously superior on the HM5s. I can distinctly pick out more on them and absolutely love it. Sometimes, however, I want to feel the base just a bit more. It adds to the listening experience for me. I plan on swapping back between the two headphones pretty much equally. I do agree the M50s are a bit heavy on the bass, so I'm looking for the best in-between compromise if it's out there at a reasonable price.

Can you guys recommend something with the sound stage and clarity of the HM5s with just a tad more bass but no more than the M50s? I would actually prefer a hair less than M50s if possible.

These two headphones obviously show you I'm not in the market for a $1,500 pair, but I don't mind going up a little if it gets me what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Your budget?

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

Your budget?

No higher than around $300. I've already been eyeing a few at that range, but of course it's always useful to get an opinion from someone with the same frame of reference as your own, ideally someone who has experience with the same headphones.

Obviously cheaper is better, as long as it gets the job done.

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 9
If you don't mind open cans - then one obvious choice would be the Sennheiser HD600.  keep an eye on the FS forums - you an often pick up a second hand one for $250-$300.  Better in every way than the FA-003/HM5 and has decent bass without being over the top.

Note - I used to own the HM5 - and currently own the HD600.  I also owned both together some time ago.

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 9
The FA-003's bass is fantastic out of a Headstage Arrow V2/3 with the bass boost set to 2 (out of 3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back