HJE900 vs Brainwavz M2
Oct 28, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 25
i like my M2's. i don't think i would like the panny's, i hear they can be harsh.

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 25
Having both of these earphones, i can said i prefer HJE900 but its isolation is not as good as M2. (maybe because HJE900 is heavier, so it is easier to drop).

HJE900 is more V shape. in my opinion, M2 is more warm. So back again on which style of music you play.
Anyway both are good and value for money especially under $80.

now mp4nation is having M2 promotion. will $30 make a difference for you?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 25
I'm willing to pay the extra 30 if they're are better, how does the bass of these earphones compare to each other? Also, did u buy the hje900's from amazon , I can't find another place that sells them for $80. I see that they also raised the price to $90.

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 25
which is better will be up to the listener. i know from what i read about the HJE900's that i won't be a big fan of their sound. from what i read it seems like they are similar to the Klipsch S4's, but with even bigger deeper bass. the M2's are still bass oriented, but have very nice warm mid-range with good impact and detail, with a smooth somewhat tame top end. i'm completely happy with them, but it all depends on what kind of a sound you like. if you want something that is very V shaped, then you'll probably prefer the HJE's.

Quote:
I'm willing to pay the extra 30 if they're are better, how does the bass of these earphones compare to each other? Also, did u buy the hje900's from amazon , I can't find another place that sells them for $80. I see that they also raised the price to $90.

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 25
HJE900's-

Sound (9/10) – The HJE900 sounds every bit as interesting as it looks. Bass extension is impressive and impact is fast and tight. Low-end response is slanted slightly towards mid/upper bass. A long-ish decay time gives them a very natural presentation at the low end and their realistic timbre rounds off the sound. The upper bass boost gives them a warm tonality – but not excessively so. In fact, the unique presentation of the HJE900 is defined by the combination of slightly warm vocals and crisp, sparkly treble, all underlined by strong, controlled bass. The midrange is detailed and has a lusher feel compared to the dryer, more accurate ATH-CK10s. The soundstage is fairly close and intimate, but not narrow or closed-sounding. The HJE900 do have more depth than width, separating instruments nicely and imaging each well. The highs are more similar to the ATH-CK10 than other dynamic-driver IEMs, with a good amount of sparkle minus some of the detail and transparency. The Panasonics are quite efficient but don’t hiss too badly with my Amp3. On the downside, they are less forgiving of poor source material than much of the competition, likely due to their accentuated presentation of the upper mids/lower treble. Not recommended for 128kbps mp3s.

Value (9/10) – The HJE900 provides a great balance of fun and refinement. The bass and treble are quite strong, perhaps excessive for some, but the sound is beautifully dynamic and involving. They manage to sound very ‘musical’ and yet have nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to detail and imaging. At the $110 price point these Panasonics are one of the most noteworthy purchases to be made and compete easily with the best that the price range has to offer, providing a very different sound to the more delicate and refined Phonak PFE and HifiMan RE0.

Pros: Rock-solid, replaceable cables, interesting and engaging sound signature
Cons: Treble may be excessive for some, heavy shells, stock tips are underwhelming

M2's-

Sound (7.75/10) – Though I wouldn’t quite call them bass-heavy, the R03 certainly boast added low-end emphasis. Despite the boost, the bass is very smooth and calm. It stays completely out of the way when uncalled for and steps up in bass-heavy tracks. The bass also has a softness and delicacy to it that is rather rare and reminds me of my Monster Turbine Pro Gold as opposed to the hard-hitting low end of earphones such as the Klipsch S4 and Panasonic HJE900. The overall tonality of the R03 leans slightly towards darkness. The mids are front and center right where they should be, except when drums step out of line and too far forward on rare occasions. This is a positioning issue rather than a balance issue and is rarely distracting. Soundstage depth is actually one of the few areas in which the R03 could stand improvement before they take down some of the big players in the mid-range segment. Soundstage width is about average, around the level of the RE0, and imaging is rather good for what they cost, though they can’t quite keep up with the hologram-esque spacing of the Soundmagic PL50 and HJE900. Midrange clarity is superb and detail is equally impressive. The treble is smooth and moderately extended. It is not the focus of the presentation but instead a compliment. It is neither harsh nor bright nor sibilant. The R03 are also quite fast, at least on-par with the original Monster Turbines, and surprisingly transparent. Lastly, they have a very natural timbre, which is something a lot of budget IEMs struggle with.

As a final note, though the R03 themselves do not require an amp, I did try running them through a 68-ohm impedance adapter and a mini3. Together the two have effect of evening the R03 out, bringing forward the mids and treble and raising bass levels just a bit without sacrificing precision and control. Drums are less likely to misbehave with the added adapter and fine detail becomes even easier to catch.

Value (9/10) – The ViSang R03 is an incredible performer - a wholesome combination of build quality, comfort, and sound at a price well south of $100. In terms of coherency of sound signature they are up there with the best sub-$100 earphones I have heard. The combination of impactful bass, clear mids, and crisp treble give the R03 a very agreeable sound that can be enjoyed by both the audiophile and the casual listener in equal measure. And that fact alone makes them highly recommended earphones with a sound signature geared slightly towards the mainstream market compared to much of the gear talked about on head-fi. Do I personally still prefer a more analytical sound? Yes. But that does not prevent me from enjoying the R03 in the least. They are not perfect, but they are unreasonably good for what they cost.

Pros: Great build and sound quality
Cons: Mediocre isolation, L/R markings hard to see, cords have some memory character

taken from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-115-iems-compared-monster-miles-davis-tribute-added-10-17#post_6492055

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 25
Don't just read the numbers thought as an iem that has a high rating may sound inferior to you to one that is lower but suits your taste more.

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 25

very....very true. sound is very subjective. what one person may hate, others may love. what those reviews do is help to get a feel for what each will sound like. the numbers are his ratings on which he prefers.

Quote:
Don't just read the numbers thought as an iem that has a high rating may sound inferior to you to one that is lower but suits your taste more.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 25
I agree SQ and signature comes down to personal preferences.
I try to avoid anything with harshness in the highs as this is a real turnoff for my tastes.
A smooth sound signature & warmth in the mids is generally what i prefer.
Hence my current lineup: ZEROs, M2, Rains.
The reason i dont include the PL50 in this list is because although it is smooth as, the BA of the PL50 cannot come near producing the quality & impact of the bass of the dynamic drivers.
Not saying all BAs are like this, but i have decided to stick with dynamic drivers from now on.

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 25
It will be up to preference. Depending on your individual ear canal shape and size, foam tips might attenuate the highs enough to stop them from being an issue, and then there is the foam mod to perform also. I've only heard the HJE900, but by all accounts the M2 provides some great bang for buck as well. The HJE900s do have the nice advantage of replaceable cables, although that cable on the M2 appears to be quite sturdy.

One thing, I'm not quite the the HJE900s have as much bass as the S4. I've heard a number of people say they have less, some say more. Idk lol.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #15 of 25
I seriously doubt the HJE will break after 1 month.   I'm not collecting IEM as a hobby, every one of IEM I own I use on daily commute and I only shop for a new one because one broke.   (Apple IEM is an exception)   Looking at HJE construction, I would be shock if they break within a year.  I had UE plastic housing cracked on me and cable shorts on Shure.   This panny feels more solid than those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back