HJE900... how to prevent filters from falling out?
Jun 4, 2010 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rharjanto

New Head-Fier
I just got my HJE900 and they sound really great. I've read on other threads about people having their filters fall out haphazardly. How can I prevent this from ever happening? I don't intend to change eartips or anything.

Thanks for the help

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 11
Mine just floated away effortlessly like autumn leaves on day one.
There is a good chance once they go you wont be able to find them either. Its no big deal though.
I just put a tiny square of highly porous kitchen sponge in the nozzle to protect the drivers. No idea how you can prevent them falling off in the first place, maybe one way is to remove them first and then find a way of sticking them back on more securely.
Anyway, enjoy them, they are great phones, I love em to bits :)

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 11
I've been eying them a while myself, and the word seems to be that they sound better when a small piece of foam is put in the nozzle, not too deeply to interfere with the drivers.  It's supposed to smooth things out, take the edge off of a treble that some consider to be on the harsh side.  So maybe the earlier these Gump feather filters float away, the better.  Cool that a piece of kitchen sponge seems to also do the trick.

Does this mod ever have a chance of reaching any kind of mass popularity, like Seinfeld coming back for a reunion show with one of the story lines being Elaine's sponge-worthy headphones? 

Not very likely.
smile_phones.gif

But it does seem to be a pretty good idea.

Jun 4, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 11
Never had it happen, but if it did, I would try the replacement filters for the RE0 I have sitting in my drawer. I figure they're the same size. (They come with the replacement tips.)

Jun 5, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
I've been eying them a while myself, and the word seems to be that they sound better when a small piece of foam is put in the nozzle, not too deeply to interfere with the drivers.  It's supposed to smooth things out, take the edge off of a treble that some consider to be on the harsh side.  So maybe the earlier these Gump feather filters float away, the better.  Cool that a piece of kitchen sponge seems to also do the trick.

Does this mod ever have a chance of reaching any kind of mass popularity, like Seinfeld coming back for a reunion show with one of the story lines being Elaine's sponge-worthy headphones? 

Not very likely.
smile_phones.gif

But it does seem to be a pretty good idea.

I prefer the treble untamed and found even with just a bit of my Koss ksc75 foam in there the treble was dampened a tiny bit. With the kitchen sponge there is no taming effect at all as far as I can tell.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 11
I just recieved my first quality IEMs HJE900 and see no filters at all..
Do they come with them or something I have to buy or make?

I am loving the sound but read that IEMs need to break in for a 100 hrs before you get best quality sound ..
Did I read that out of contexted???

Jun 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I just recieved my first quality IEMs HJE900 and see no filters at all..
Do they come with them or something I have to buy or make?

I am loving the sound but read that IEMs need to break in for a 100 hrs before you get best quality sound ..
Did I read that out of contexted???

The filters are just the protective mesh over the port between the drivers and eartips, if you look in the hole you'll either see them or just see right down into the whitish colored drivers if they have already floated away into space. Unless you need to change eartips they'll remain in place I would have thought though. I needed to change tips straight away so mine flew the nest on day one hehe.
Personally ( though I'm quite new to all this myself) I wouldnt worry about the breaking in process, just listen and enjoy. You'll probably find they just sound a bit smoother once they've had a bit of use.

Jun 6, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Mine are missing and only three days old ????

I am guessing they don't include them anymore or should I call J&R Music???

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm surprised if they are gone already before you've even changed eartips. Are you sure? I really wouldnt worry about it if they have though. It just seems to be a quirk of the HJE900's that the filters are stuck on there so loosely that sooner or later they'll fall off, other than that they are probably one the toughest and best built IEMs you can get.

You can just use them without any filters as long as you are careful that nothing drops into the nozzle and damages the drivers ( probably a very remote chance anyway)  just keep them in their bag or a case of some sort when youre not using them.

If you are worried about keeping the drivers clean and protected you can just remove the eartips and very carefully place a small piece of foam tight into each nozzle but only just at the top of the nozzle so can easily remove the foam with tweezers if you need to take it out again, be very careful to only push it a little way, you want to leave a fair gap between the drivers and the foam, the last thing you want to do is stuff a big bit of foam in there and crush the drivers!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, at first I used some foam off of one of my headphone earpads ( microphone foam will also do the job) but I found that it dampened the treble too much for me ( some people prefer this as the HJE900 has a very sharp treble) but I prefer the sharp treble so I eventually found a bit of very porous kitchen sponge did the job without altering the sound any.

This might be useful also http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478794/did-i-just-fck-my-iems-panasonic-hje900

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 11
I found them :)
I needed a flashlight at my computer desk to see them...
Good thing I know what to look for now..

Thanks for your kind reply...

rarebear
The Noob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back