Hitting dogs/pets as discipline?
Jan 24, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #91 of 112
No, I would never hit my cats.

They're bad, but in more of a manipulative way. They know my routines, they know when they can hit me up for food, and know how they can get away with stuff when I'm not around. They plot and scheme. That's both the good and bad thing about cats. Even if I wasn't opposed to hitting, I don't think it would work.

The funny part is that they already know right from wrong in the household. One night, I got up for a glass of water. Either I was really quiet or the cat was in really deep sleep. Anyways, she was stretched out asleep on the dining room table. She knows better, and I got the "busted" look when she woke up and saw me there. A firm 'NO' got her off the table. Haven't caught her since, but you never know.

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #92 of 112
This is my opinion based on many years of pet ownership and parenting.

It is interesting to watch how pups and a mother dog interact. When pups start becoming a little too roudy the mother will bark and my give a litttle snap in their general direction, and if the undesired behaviour continues she will get up in the offending pups face and give a louder, more agressive bark and a little nip if required. She isn't attacking the pup; she's getting its attention to make a point - that behaviour is not OK.

As pet owners we need to balance the short, sharp and direct "No that's Not OK" message such as when your pup is chewing your speaker cables or worse the power lead with the supportive environment that young creatures (pup and kids) need in order to learn the behaviours that we desire. Please don't try to reason with your dog (or your two year old) if he's chewing the power cable.

The same rule applies to kids or dogs - avoid disciplining them when your angry, and don't be malicious. Discipline is for their benefit, not for your release. Generally, support and reward the behaviours you want, ignore or distract the behaviours you don't want.

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #93 of 112
The Dog Whisperer, Cesar Millan, has a lot to say about raising+training dogs. I am unaware that he ever hits a dog although he will utilize canine behavior to assert his dominance of the pack.

I don't think there is a good reason to hit a dog. It is well known that training by fear destroys rather than develops personality.

Abusing animals is primarily revealing about the inner life of the abuser. As the monks of old would say to a fellow who had fallen from the way, "Watch yourself, brother."

F

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #94 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hitting the animal really does not accomplish much if your goal is to actually change its behavior. You will be far more successful shaping your pet's behavior by using positive reinforcement. So, rather than punishing the dog for peeing on the floor, reward the dog for NOT peeing on the floor or for going outside. It takes a bit more time and is more difficult, but the bad behavior will be exinguished forever.

Couldn't have said it better. Positive discipline can take some patience and in today's world we want results "now." It's too bad really.

We've never hit our dog and I have no intention of hitting our kids (when we have them) as a punishment or as a disciplinary tool. To me it seems pointless.

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #95 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would never hit my dogs. But my maid does and they do obey (and fear) her...

I'm sure they like me better but they never listen to me :|

And if you let it continue, then you'd be enabling the abuse. If you can't instruct your maid how to treat things in your house, or she is not willing to listen, it's time to let her go.

Unless you're not bothered, which would make you as guilty as she.
confused.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #96 of 112
I voted no.

Unlike children you cant really explain to animals what they are doing is wrong. However beating an animal is the wrong approach to training them.

With my child I usually explain first, raise my voice if the offence in repeated and if she still refuses to budge, I'll punish in a non physical manner like go to the study room and sit on the floor for 10 mins of so. Later she has to apologise and explain to me why what she did was wrong.

With animals raising one's voice to show displeasure should be enough if the animal knows who the alpha person is. Like a child the animal can be punished in a non physical way. For example taking his/her favourite toy/snack away. Rolling up a newspaper and hitting the floor next to the animal is usually a last resort. You want a confident animal and no one that cowers evertime a newpaper is rolled up. Training a pet is important - esp the males as they seem be be more agressive.

Jan 25, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #97 of 112
It's best to avoid putting your pet in a situation that could lead to punishment in the first place. I learned this with my Sun Conure (small parrot). He became cranky around breakfast time when I prepared food and would sometimes bite me to get me to try to give him food while I was preparing. I used to lightly pinch him on his wing. I realized that it was much better to keep him in his cage while I was preparing food so I could avoid being bitten and avoid having to discipline him. Same thing with the speaker wire situation...tuck those wires away or route them behind a wall or cover them with some sort of protectors. That way the dog can't chew on them and no discipline will have to be given.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #99 of 112
If my dog has done something very bad (pee on the carpet, leave the yard {although we do make exceptions.. like obviously she is going to leave the yard if shes chasing a squirrel, and we live pretty much in the woods so no big deal as long as she comes back on our call}) I grab her nose, make her look at me, and say in a deep tone 'NO'.

I'll prolly do the same thing if my kid pees on the carpet.

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #100 of 112
I just don't think hitting is acceptable. I did tap my dog a couple of times when he was very young and after the 2nd time, never did that again. I realized it was really not accomplishing my goal in the best possible manner, and instead decided to use positive reinforcement. I actually do believe the tone of voice is very important and was more than enough in helping my little friend understand wrong from right.

I definitely don't think it is acceptable to hit children, and I feel that my dog was my child in many senses. Just my $0.02.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #101 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While we're on the topic of animal abuse, I could not stop laughing at this poor kitty.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=15bwhVxw-Bg

Seriously, who thought this machine was a good idea. LOL.

-Ed

If I knew who invented that terrorbox I would punch him in the face and neck promptly.

Curious to note that this thread's sibling (do you spank your kids) has almost EXACTLY the opposite poll results of this one.

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #104 of 112
Yes....

And I don't mean hitting hard to cause pain, or to abuse them...

I mean, give them a light to moderate smack when they're acting out of place...

When I had my dog (she died 1 year ago...rip)...I didn't reprimand her for things out of her control. If she accidentally peed in the house, or threw up after eating too much grass or whatever, I'd just clean up, in fact she seemed more upset than I was, I was usually trying to tell her it was alright....

If she was scratching the door to get out (big German Sheppard = bad scratches), I'd sternly say no...if she continued I'd give her a smack on the rump...

I'd say I had an AMAZING relationship with my dog, so for people that say if you touch them, they'll fear you, that's BS, same goes with kids. Abuse and correction are two different things. There's a time for stern words, there's a time (rarely) for force, but when used right, it makes people/animals understand the rules, and they learn to live alongside with their parents/companions much better in the end...

Just my 2 cents.

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #105 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I knew who invented that terrorbox I would punch him in the face and neck promptly.

I'd shove the inventor's dumb ass in his own creation and slowly increase the water temperature till he was poached and squeaky clean.

Pet Spa USA
4743 NW 72nd Ave
Miami, FL 33166

Phone: 305-594-8754
Fax: 305-594-8755
Toll-Free 800-973-8772
Information info@petspausa.com

Feel free to contact them. I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back