Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
Sep 20, 2005 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Potatoe1313

100+ Head-Fier
I try not to buy too many DVD's (exept for essentials like Clockwork Orange, Pulp Fiction, Matrix, etc.), but today, I had to buy one, and I recommend that everyone should go and get it. Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, in stores now (at least in the US).

Sep 20, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 25
Makes me want to go rent the original movie, just for the memories of watching it in a crowded livingroom with a bunch of geeky freinds.

Sep 20, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 25
ha I got the poster to that! good movie, completely true to the book... for the first 20 min then they go off on a tangent.

overall a great movie, I love the ending song:
"So long an thanks for all the fish, so sad it had to come to this. we tried to warn you..."

icon10.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 25
Just finished it. Pretty damn good. Never watched the old stuff, so I had no idea what the hell was going on most the time. Mice are evil.

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 25
i saw it with a group of friends (there was 6 of us) two weeks ago, and only me and another friend were rolling on the floor laughing throughout the whole movie... the other four just didn't understand the sense of humour.

but all in all, a great, quirky, humourous movie... and anything with Alan Rickman's deadpan voice is great.

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 25
I thought as far as movies adapted from books go, HGTTG was pretty darn good on the big screen. I really liked it when it came out and want to get it on DVD. They pulled off the visual gags pretty well in my opinion.

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #10 of 25
I'll be the decenting vote here I guess.
rolleyes.gif
I loved the books. Read them all several times and own several copies of each. I hated this movie. It was like they took all the absurdism out of the lines (which is half the reason the stories are soo good!). They took the funny lines OUT of the books and then wrote the script around what was left. Very visually stimulating, but I'll stick to the BBC version thanks.

As always, my opinion. YMMV.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 25
I should probably mention too... I was EXTREMELY excited when I fist heard that HHGTTG was being made again. So this was not a case of me being jaded from the start. In fact I walked into the movie with a big smile on my face and my hopes up... a little too far I guess.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Sep 20, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 25
Showing my age here, but I listened to the original radio series on BBC Radio in the late 70's - and watched the TV version around about 1981.
Looking forward to the film...
icon10.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #14 of 25
I never read the books. After I saw the movie in the threater, I left thinking "I really, really should of hated this film -- it was awful in so many ways. Yet I didn't."

Go figure.

Sep 20, 2005 at 10:39 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcapurro
...I'll stick to the BBC version thanks.

Me too, Jeremy ... BBC TV version all the way ... great fun! (loved Red Sun, too...)

My memory of BBC/HHGTTG has blurred with time ... I'll have to search for it on DVD (?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back