Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
Sep 20, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #16 of 25
I thought they would give a better characterization on the robot's emotions but I found it a little boring. I was expecting him to be depressed but very sarcastic. I haven't read the book so I might be wrong.

Sep 20, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
My memory of BBC/HHGTTG has blurred with time ... I'll have to search for it on DVD (?).

I've got it
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #18 of 25
there's two reasons why "the movie adaption isn't faithful to the book" doesn't make much sense here:

1. the books aren't the original stuff either. they're an adaption and extension of the original radio series.

2. douglas adams had a hand (and a head) in the script himself. this was the fifth medium he worked with, after the radio series, the books, the tv series and the text adventure game. each medium has its different strengths and weaknesses and needs different perspectives and approaches.

subjectively: as far as "adaptions" go, this is one of the most faithful ever. for me the funniest parts actually were the new ones, they fit in perfectly with the spirit of "the original" whatever that is.

may douglas lie on his cloud, some stiff gössers at hand
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #19 of 25
Mos Def as Ford Prefect?!?

Does he even remotely sound like he came from Guildford?!?!?!?!?

Or from anywhere on the British Isles, for that matter?
eggosmile.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannonfodder

eggosmile.gif

I thought Mos Def was spectacular, even if the accent doesn't match.

Sep 20, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #21 of 25
Shortly before his death, Douglas Adams spoke at one of our company meetings. I wasn't aware he was on the corporate morale/motivation-boosting lecture circuit/gravy train, but there he was. He was every bit as witty and charming as you could hope. He's sorely missed, I loved those books as a kid.

Sep 20, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannonfodder

eggosmile.gif

Well, technically he's from a planet near Betelgeuse so I think we can excuse that.

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Shortly before his death, Douglas Adams spoke at one of our company meetings.

ah! now i understand what's up with the "hangin' with the monkeys" tag. you must be one of the ape descendents whose ancestors' fiddling about with letters brought us questionable insight to 'the answer' - while us others are merely descended from hairdressers and headphone sanitizers.

inside sources (way inside) tell me that douglas adams had made a vow to visit all monkey descendants before his death, so that figures.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back