Hitchhiker's Guide Fans?
Sep 26, 2004 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Absorbine_Sr

Can Jam '10 Organizer
For you Hitchhiker's Guide fans out there, BBC 4 are broadcasting a new series of radio shows encompassing the last three books of the 5 book trilogy (yes, 5). You can listen via the BBC 4 website, but hurry as each episode is only available for a limited period after broadcast.

Linkage

These books have not been given any performance treatment that I am aware of so this is very special. And they are in 5.1 Surround.

A_Sr.

Sep 26, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 12
That's funny since it was originally a radio show that Adams turned the radioplays into the books.

Sep 26, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 12
Yes,and the books differed from the original radio series, as did the TV series. And a Hitchhikers Movie has wrapped up shooting and is in post-production. It's due for release in summer next year. And from what I've read tonight the screenplay was done by Douglas Adams before he died, and has only had a minor cleanup for the film. And it differs from all other versions the Guide too.

A_Sr.

Sep 26, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #6 of 12
I think if you read the interview you linked, you'll find he worked from Adams' last revision of his screenplay, read all of the earlier versions, and is quite sympathetic to the story itself. But Adams never really finished the screenplay fully, and then he had the audacity to up and die, and I hear that since then he is even slower than he was in life at finishing projects. So as you say, we'll see.

A_Sr.

Sep 26, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 12
assuming the imdb list of cast members in correct, it might not suck so much afterall: http://imdb.com/title/tt0371724/fullcredits#writers

at least trillian and zaphod are well-casted. at least, i happen to like those two.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 12
I read from his "last" book that he worked pretty hard to get a movie project started. And the cast does look pretty good... (really hoping hard) maybe it will be better than the television series
biggrin.gif

Douglas Adams we miss you

Sep 27, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr
.... You can listen via the BBC 4 website.....

Thanks for the tip. I'm a big fan. Years ago a friend of mine lent me a copy of the radio show on cassette. I had never heard of it. I can't rememmber if the books were out at that time. I have never read a series of books so fast. Pure genius! The text based computer game by INFOCOM was also very entertaining.

Sep 27, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
Thanks for the tip. I'm a big fan. Years ago a friend of mine lent me a copy of the radio show on cassette. I had never heard of it. I can't rememmber if the books were out at that time. I have never read a series of books so fast. Pure genius! The text based computer game by INFOCOM was also very entertaining.

If you look around on the BBC 4 site, there is a link to play the old Infocom game. They've tarted it up with graphics (minimalist) but the text is the same.

I still have a copy of the original on 5.25" floppy...
icon10.gif

A_Sr.

Sep 27, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr
...I still have a copy of the original on 5.25" floppy...
icon10.gif

A_Sr.

I might have the box also somewhere. I think I remember it came with: bellybutton lint, microscopic space fleet, Dark Sunglasses, and a Don't Panic button
tongue.gif
I think my first copy was for an Apple II+ and later for the PC.

p.s. forgot to add No Tea

Sep 28, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 12
sorry, i never pictured ford to be a fast rapping black man, nor did i see marvin being a little person from willow. I did however always imagine arthur to look exactly like that guy.

I was sure hoping that john malkovich was ford prefect.

one way or another, even if they went up there and showed 2 hours of black screen, im happy that they are making the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back