Hiss on HD650
Feb 22, 2007 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

shoenberg3

100+ Head-Fier
HD650 arrived today and they are quite wonderful, although i can't say it betters E500 by much, if at all. Anyway, the hiss on some of the recordings have become much more noticeable. I KNEW there was hiss on recordings such as Abbey Road and many of Radiohead albums, but they became so much more annoying. This is through Foobar2000, Bithead.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoenberg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bithead.

There's your problem right there. You're gonna need a better amp in order to really see what the HD650s are about.
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 68
Quote:

HD650 arrived today and they are quite wonderful, although i can't say it betters E500 by much, if at all. Anyway, the hiss on some of the recordings have become much more noticeable. I KNEW there was hiss on recordings such as Abbey Road and many of Radiohead albums, but they became so much more annoying. This is through Foobar2000, Bithead.

This is why the 650's get a bad wrap.. A lot of times they are under amped, & people asume it's the 650.. Get somthing above entry level to see what these cans are capable of..

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 68
Quote:

I understand that the amp would help the sonics quite a bit, but I don't understand: what does that have to do with eliminating the hiss?

Turn off all music and only have the amp on with the headphones. If you don't hear a hiss without the music playing, its not the HD650's fault. Its cause you have a bad recording.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turn off all music and only have the amp on with the headphones. If you don't hear a hiss without the music playing, its not the HD650's fault. Its cause you have a bad recording.

No hiss. It's my files?
basshead.gif

On the other hand, though, most of my files are OK; it seems as Radiohead CDs are esp. susceptible to hiss?

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 68
Quote:

No hiss. It's my files?

If you're not hearing hiss with the music off, then yes...its your files. Bad recordings.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 68
Now hold on a sec, if you still hear a hiss even with nothing playing it is entirely possible that it is the amp.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #9 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now hold on a sec, if you still hear a hiss even with nothing playing it is entirely possible that it is the amp.

Unless I'm misreading what he posted, I think he said there is no hiss with nothing playing.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #13 of 68
Quote:

Can a low-compression rate (like 192kb) insert hiss that was non-existent before?

Agreed with 003. The hiss is due to a bad source by which the recording was taken from. Not compression rate. I have plenty of mp3s in 192 that are perfectly fine...Hell, even 160 and 128.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed with 003. The hiss is due to a bad source by which the recording was taken from. Not compression rate. I have plenty of mp3s in 192 that are perfectly fine...Hell, even 160 and 128.

Then of course there are the FLAC's of poorly recorded material that no lossless could get rid of...not sure about Radiohead but I know of several artists, namely pre-2001 The Mountain Goats, who recorded their music pretty low-fi.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #15 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then of course there are the FLAC's of poorly recorded material that no lossless could get rid of...not sure about Radiohead but I know of several artists, namely pre-2001 The Mountain Goats, who recorded their music pretty low-fi.

I put original recordings under source.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back