Hiss added during iPod file transfer?
Aug 21, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand, but my question was what happens when you take a damaged file from the player and transfer it back to the computer. If it is undamaged, that suggests that the problem relates to playback on the iPod. If the damage is still evident when played back on the computer, that suggests that the transfer corrupted the file itself.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood that one.

I tried it out, and it indeed seems to be the transfer. I compared a WAV ripped with EAC to the iTunes ALAC, to the file transferred back from the iPod.. with some troubling results.

The WAV was perfect, as to be expected with EAC. The iTunes conversion had one minor glitch near the end of the song.. troubling, since all it had to do was convert the file. I haven't found any others like this, so it might just be a momentary lapse for iTunes there. The file transferred back from the iPod had the same glitches as the playback from the iPod itself, showing that the transfer, or perhaps the storing of the file on the iPod has glitched the file.

I went and tried chkdsk /f on the Pod. It found a few errors and fixed them. I transferred a new batch of songs (EAC ripped, to ALAC, to Pod) onto the Pod.. And while the batch has fewer errors than many of my other batches transferred, it still had a few..

I'm at a loss right now. I really don't think it's the issue with file size and memory cache.. as these files aren't just glitching on playback.. and when they are "de-cached" (I play through other songs, then come to these later, thereby re-caching), they have the same problems at the same spots. I'm also doubtful, because others using Lossless on their iPods haven't reported more of these problems.

I need to find someone with an iPod USB cord to test.. and if that fails as well, transferring Lossless music from someone else's computer onto my iPod. Unless anyone has further suggestions? I've already tried Restoring my iPod to factory settings (a full wipe) to take out any problems it might have.. might it be software now? My iTunes or iPod software? Really looking for more suggestions here.

Oops, add in one more:

Quote:

The hiss could be electronic interference with your amp. I've had this problem with the iBasso T1 and T2. Does the hiss happen even when you're not using an amp? If so, ignore my suggestion.

It's not like an interference hiss.. or any that I've ever heard before. And I'm not using an amp. This is straight playback from my iPod headphone out to various sets of cans, to my car's AUX in, or to my DVD player's surround sound system.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #17 of 17
I've had conversion problems in iTunes if I'm doing anything else on the computer. iTunes is a resource hog but still the best organization and playback software IMO. I especially have problems ripping or converting while surfing the web with Firefox. I've learned that when I'm ripping or converting with iTunes to not do anything else.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back