Hiss added during iPod file transfer?
Aug 12, 2007 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mizou

New Head-Fier
Hey all.

I've noticed a problem with my iPod that began recently, after I re-ripped my CD collection into Apple Lossless using iTunes. Firstly, some songs didn't make the transition well, even using the error correction option. That's fine, as I can re-rip them again.

The real problem is that many more songs, while sounding fine in iTunes, have problems when played on my iPod. Some of them skip slightly or stutter, but most of the ones with problems have a very loud hiss sound at certain points in the song, overtaking everything else- the music, the vocals, etc. The band will be playing, then this hiss will occur for a split second, then the music continues on. I've found that taking these songs off my iPod, then re-loading them solves the problem.. but I'm trying to find the source of this trouble, and if you guys have any solutions to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Thanks everyone.

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 17
Could be low-impedance headphones. Most likely it is that.

Oh wait...just saw that snippet about reloading the songs back on. Strange issue.

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 17
It's definitely something with the transfer or the iPod.. But most likely the transfer.

I've tested the problem songs both in the car (hooked up to the stereo with one of those AUX-in things), with various headphones, and hooked up to my DVD player/surround sound. The songs all hiss in the exact same spot with all the rigs.

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 17
Kind of a bump, just seeing if anyone else has any ideas.

It's really weird.. Like a split second of static occurring during songs at certain points.. But rewinding and replaying that section of the song, it's still there. It's introduced during the file-transfer to the iPod. Strange stuff.

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 17
Y'know what?

Try a different USB cable. Then if that doesn't work, still use it to try a different USB port.

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 17
Since the songs play properly on iTunes, I wonder if the skipping might be related to the ipod memory cache. A lossless file is larger than a compressed one, and fills up the cache so the HD has to be working more. The momentary stutter might be the HD catching up. You might begin to troubleshoot this on Apple's support page. Found a couple related to skipping:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93318
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61018

There's also an Apple troubleshooting assistant it couldn't hurt to go through:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/

Sorry, don't know about the hiss, wonder if it's related to the memory cache? Could make sense internal circuit still outputting during stutter. Couldn't find much on the support pages. Agree with Mule^ it could be USB cable or outlet. You could also try hooking up to powered USB hub for cleaner signal transfer. Also, if you have AppleCare on the ipod, you can call tech support.

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 17
try clamping a tdk or equivalent ferrite core near the end of your transfer cable which is to go into the ipod, give it a few wraps round. probably wont help, but i know that when i did that round my logitech subwoofer cable it eliminated the hummmmmm

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOSA500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might not be able to hear it in iTunes because your soundcard isn't up to snuff.

It sounds more like a problem with your optical drive than an iPod problem.

I don't mean this in a negative or snide way, but it'd be pretty hard not to notice a half second of static that overwhelms the entire song, no matter how bad my soundcard is. Though I do believe my DVD-rom drive is a source of the problem, since some of the songs DO have that problem in iTunes.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Any more are welcome.

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 17
Okay.. tried a few things. I re-ripped a bunch of my CDs using EAC, imported them into iTunes, then converted to ALAC. Stuff sounds good in iTunes and elsewhere.. but same problem when transferring to my iPod. I tried my cable into different USB ports, and even with my powered USB hub (I had avoided it before, thinking that the extra connection and step might affect things), to no avail.

To recap.. No matter how I rip my CDs (EAC, iTunes, etc.), transferring them from iTunes to my iPod using Apple Lossless format, I get a strange static "hiss" introduced into random songs. This static happens very briefly.. only for a split second, but interrupts the entire song- it's not some background noise or anything.

To this point.. My only 2 leads are 1- my USB ports/cable. I have not been able to test a new iPod cable out yet.
Or 2- the memory cache of my iPod, as spunkmeyer suggested. I'm doubting this second one, however, since taking the song off of my iPod, then re-syncing it into my iPod fixes the problem.

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 17
It might be worth running a chkdisk /r on your iPod to see if there are problems with the hard drive that are corrupting your files. (I'm assuming that this is a hard-drive based iPod.)

Do the songs that exhibit the glitches still have the glitches if you listen to them on the computer? In other words, can you confirm that the problem is with the files themselves rather than the way the iPod plays back the files?

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might be worth running a chkdisk /r on your iPod to see if there are problems with the hard drive that are corrupting your files. (I'm assuming that this is a hard-drive based iPod.)

Do the songs that exhibit the glitches still have the glitches if you listen to them on the computer? In other words, can you confirm that the problem is with the files themselves rather than the way the iPod plays back the files?

Chkdsk sounds like a fine idea right about now.

As I said earlier, these files are fine on the computer, and are fine when I re-transfer them to the iPod.. It seems to be the act of transferring to the iPod that introduces glitches into the songs.

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chkdsk sounds like a fine idea right about now.

As I said earlier, these files are fine on the computer, and are fine when I re-transfer them to the iPod.. It seems to be the act of transferring to the iPod that introduces glitches into the songs.

I understand, but my question was what happens when you take a damaged file from the player and transfer it back to the computer. If it is undamaged, that suggests that the problem relates to playback on the iPod. If the damage is still evident when played back on the computer, that suggests that the transfer corrupted the file itself.

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by spunkmeyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the songs play properly on iTunes, I wonder if the skipping might be related to the ipod memory cache. A lossless file is larger than a compressed one, and fills up the cache so the HD has to be working more. The momentary stutter might be the HD catching up.

This is a bingo.

You'd do better using high bitrate AAC rather than make the poor iPod chomp through massive lossless files. You won't notice any difference in sound quality and your iPod will perform better.

See ya
Steve

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 17
The hiss could be electronic interference with your amp. I've had this problem with the iBasso T1 and T2. Does the hiss happen even when you're not using an amp? If so, ignore my suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back