Hisoundaudio Studio V vs iPod Video 5G+FiiO E17
Apr 12, 2012 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gofre

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

So yeah, I currently have a FiiO E17 DAC/amp on it's way to me which I'm very excited about. However this morning I came across the Studio V, a player I was lusting over a couple of months ago, being sold in the UK at what looks like a reasonable price. I was just wondering if anybody has any knowledge of comparing the two setups in the thread title, the Studio V or the iPod/E17 (Connected via LOD) combo. In fact since I'll be keeping the E17 for use as a USB DAC, there's the Studio/E17 combination too I guess, although from what I've read the Studio doesn't need any help amping (Although from what I've heard the EQ options leave something to be desired, which the E17 could address). I'm also looking for clarification on whether or not the Studio can use 64GB microSDs, as this would be a major boon. Size isn't really an issue, neither setup is particularly large.

This portable setup will be used primarily with a set of Minerva Mi-3 triple driver customs. While not difficult to drive, from what I've read they respond particularly well to more authoritative sources. Music is primarily various stripes of rock and electronic dance music stored as FLAC.

So, which am I better off with if I'm looking solely at audio fidelity? On a final note, feel free to suggest any other players in the same price range (sub-£200) that you think are worth considering. The obvious one is the Hifiman HM 601, any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 8
i think it really comes down to what you need vs what you want, imho if you're solely going to be using the E17 with your iPod, it isnt going to be effective since youd be using only half of what the E17 could do, and iPod + amp/lod is more logical to me since the 5th gen already has a capable dac section, so ive read...

the studio V could be use as a usb dac? i dont know about that, hmm if that is true it seems to be the better choice then...

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
i think it really comes down to what you need vs what you want, imho if you're solely going to be using the E17 with your iPod, it isnt going to be effective since youd be using only half of what the E17 could do, and iPod + amp/lod is more logical to me since the 5th gen already has a capable dac section, so ive read...

the studio V could be use as a usb dac? i dont know about that, hmm if that is true it seems to be the better choice then...

Like I said, the E17 will see use as a USB dec for my MBP, I bought it just as much for that reason as I did for the ability to use it as a portable amp. So I'll be keeping the E17 either way. It's really just a case of figuring out which will sound better on the go, the iPod/E17 or a Studio-v.

I've just emailed hisoundaudio looking for confirmation of the USB DAC functionality.

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 8
Somewhat Ironically, I think I've managed to break my iPod in the process of replacing the front panel, the latch on one of the ribbon cables isn't closing, so that could make this decision easier!

I've also had a response from them, the studio-v doesn't double as a usb DAC.

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 8
whats an mbp? hehe, i really have to read things thoroughly... you might as well check the Rocco P too, a smaller version of the studio-v...

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
whats an mbp? hehe, i really have to read things thoroughly... you might as well check the Rocco P too, a smaller version of the studio-v...

MBP= MacBook Pro =P 
Yeah I've looked into the Rocoo too, from what I've read it seems the sound quality from the Studio is superior (If anybody has heard differently let me know) and there's only £40 separating them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back