Hisoundaudio Popo reviews thread - Post your reviews here!
Mar 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 40
First of all, I would love to thank Mr. Jack Fu for sending these lovely samples. The fact that these companies allow independent reviews by members is a testament to their kindness, generosity and overall support of the headphone community and the proliferation of knowledge amongst members of the community.

QUALITY:
The look and feel of the POPO is great. The wood looks and feels nice. The cable seems to be made of good, quality material. The supplied accessories are also of good quality. As many have noted before, the addition of a carrying case would be a nice inclusion for the future. The only negative thing about these IEM's is that the cable tends to be very microphonic and it will pick up the slightest touch or rub. Using the included cable adjuster is a must to avoid massive amounts of microphonics.

SOUND:

Ahhhh....here is the important part. Looks and materials don't matter if the sound they produce is bad. So is the POPO poop or not?

For the price, I would say it's not. Now, before I go any further, please be advised that I have been mastering for over 12 years now and my preferred sound signature preference is for neutral/natural one. That said, I do appreciate other sound signatures as well.

Now....

The Bass:
For me personally, the POPO has too much bass. Not only is there excessive bass for me but the bass doesn't extend as far as I would like nor does it sound very accurate in my humble opinion. This isn't to say it sounds horrible...no...I know many people who love this type of bass. If you are a fan of hip-hop. pop or rap then this might be the IEM for you. Think of the bass on this unit as the bass you would hear from modded civic or at a club. In other words, the bass is emphasized but it's not accurate.

The Mids:
For the most part, the mids seem to be fairly accurate with a slight tinge of brightness and is prone to sound echo-y. I played several reference tracks I use, including many from Paul Simon's Graceland album. Paul came across as slightly thinner sounding that what I would consider natural and the reverb seemed to be enhanced from what it should have been. Keep in mind that this is really nit-picking but if I notice it, then I don't want to hide it from you guys just in case someone might be sensitive to those issues.

The Highs:
While not as emphasized as the bass, the highs definitely have an emphasis on these headphones. Recordings that sound bright sounded very bright with these IEM's and dark recordings sounded better. The highs on these IEM's is nowhere near neutral. Treble voicing like this seems to go hand in hand with the club sound I described earlier.

Overall:
Overall I thought the POPO's sounded decent. Not great...and not bad. I have heard more expensive headphones with the same type of voicing and I think $89 (or less!!) is a good price for these if you are looking for a "club" type sound or want to replicate the sound of your friends tricked out honda civic. I imagine that these are tailor made for the pop/hip-hop crowd who are looking for a more affordable and personal alternative to the BEATS. The POPO's throw a nice soundstage, which while not accurate, is pleasurable with certain types of nearly monophonic modern recordings.

Conclusion:
Would I buy these? Yes! I think these would make a perfect gift for those close friends who consider a neutral/natural sound to be a bore. If these were priced at $50 - $60, I think they would have a lot more mainstream success. At $89 they are a bit on the steep side for their sound quality but still affordable enough for those looking for a good looking IEM that can provide a coloration they find pleasurable.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #17 of 40

Firstly, I'd like to thank Jack Fu from HiSoundAudio for the opportunity to review these IEMs.  They are a complete departure from my normal taste in headphones - definitely not a basshead - so Jack was probably taking a bit of a risk using me as a reviewer.  I do really appreciate Jack's faith in his product though.  I think the general public are going to like this IEM.  Read on for my impressions.

HiSoundAudio Popo - Stylish looks and fun (bassy) sound

Pros: Looks (stylish), comfort, build quality, price, presentation of sound (for bass-lovers), tip selection, cable strength.
Cons: Tips all silicone, cable quite stiff & slightly microphonic, no chin slider, no storage pouch.

Introduction
The HiSoundAudio Popo is a dynamic driver IEM - using an African Rosewood housing - with a warm, engaging , fun  - but very bassy sound signature.  I understand it currently has a retail price point around the 70-90USD mark.

Pre-amble (about me)
I'm a 45 year old music lover.  I don't say audiophile - just love my music.  Over the last couple of years, I have slowly changed from cheaper listening set-ups to my current entry/mid-fi set-up.  I vary my listening from portable (i-devices + amp) to my desk-top's set-up (PC > coax > NFB-12 > HP).  My main headphones at the time of writing are the Sennheiser HD600s, HM5's, a modded set of Alessandro MS1i, SE535 Ltd Ed. and  B2 IEMs.  I previously owned Beyer DT880, Shure SRH840 and 940 + various other IEMs. I have auditioned quite a few entry and mid-tier cans, but have yet to hear any flagships - other than the Shure 535 (at current time of writing this review).  I have very eclectic music tastes listening to a variety - from classical and opera to grunge and hard-rock.   I listen to a lot of blues, jazz, folk music, classic rock, and alternative rock.  I am particularly fond of female vocals.  I tend toward cans that are relatively neutral/balanced - with a slight emphasis on the mid-range.  I prefer a little warmth in the overall signature.  I am neither a bass or treble head.  Current amps = NFB12, GoVibe PortaTube, Fiio E11.  Previous desktop set-up was a Fiio E7/E9 combo.

Gear used in this review
 - iPhone4 / iPod4
 - Fiio E11
 - PortaTube (with volume attenuator)
 - Se535

Popo Technical Specifications :
Nominal impedance = 16Ω
Transducer = dynamic 9mm
Type = in-ear (canal-phone)
Frequency range = 16 - 23000 Hz
Sensitivity =  110 dB
Maximim SPL = 127db(1khz,1 Vrms)
Cable length = 126cm
Jack plug = 3.5mm (mini)

Packaging and Accessories
The Popo arrived in a hard clear plastic outer case measuring 125 x 75 x 3 cm.  The packaging case unfortunately does slightly detract from the actual printed outer cardboard, as it does tend to reflect glare quite badly.  As a retail outer though, it does it's job - clearly showing the Popos inside the see through window.  Inside is the printed cardboard box - with specifications and information in Chinese and English on the back, and the front having basic description, HiSoundAudio logo and viewing window for the Popos.  The cardboard is quite nicely printed in black and red - which also matches the cable and black plastic on the actual Popos - nice touch.  Inside the cardboard outer is a plastic mold holding the Popos, a bag with the tips and shirt clip, and a guarantee paper (written entirely in Chinese), and a HiSoundAudio VIP card.  Not sure exactly what this does - but it looks quite impressive.

The accessory bag includes a small spring-loaded plastic shirt clip - which works quite well.  Also included are 10 silicone sleeves - 3 sets of triple flanges, 3 sets of double flanges, and 4 sets of single flanges - all in different size/shapes.

Two things that I would have liked to see (even if it meant putting the price point up slightly) is a carrying case, and also a couple of sets of foam tips.  I've never really been comfortable with silicone 'flexi' tips - I find it hard to get a decent seal & much prefer an expandable foam option.

Build
The Popo body - this looks really sturdy.  It consists of a plastic front housing and stem attached to an African Rosewood rear chamber (yes it appears to be real wood).  The body from stem to rear housing is approx 2cm long, but only approx 1cm in diameter at it's widest point.  They are also extremely light weight.  The strain relief appears to be a very solid black plastic (only slightly pliable).  There is a small vent hole in the wooden chamber.  The stem is approximately 0.5cm in diameter and has an internal filter fitted.

The cable is a very vibrant red, looks very strong, and according to HiSoundAudio - built to last.  They state the cable core is made up of a quite thick "high grade 6 ofc core" and that it "can stand a 150kg force, and will never lose it's red colour".  So far it has not been prone to tangling - I guess this is due to the stiffness of the cable core.  The cable has a hard plastic Y split (black plastic with a  flexible strain relief), and terminates to a very slim mini 3.5mm plug (again with black flexi plastic housing).  For build quality - I'd have to give the cable pretty high marks.

I do have a couple of issues which if solved could add value to an otherwise excellent build.  Firstly - the cable is slightly microphonic. For me - this is usually solved by wearing the IEMs with the cable over-ear (rather than hanging straight down).  The problem is that the cable does not like to be molded around your ear - so it does not sit properly initially.  This could be fixed by the use of a chin-slider (to pull the cable in) - but sadly there is no chin-slider either.  My recommendation to Jack would be to either (or preferably both) include a chin slider in the build, or include detachable ear guides.

In the meantime I have been wearing the Popo with the cables tucked under the arms of my glasses.  This also works quite well.  Over the last day, the cable has started to sit a little better over my ears - so maybe it is gradually 'learning' my preferred shape.  I'd still prefer the guides if they were available.

Comfort / Isolation
Note - I am biased - and prefer foams.  I generally do not like silicone tips.  However I tried several of the included tips, and eventally settled on the large bi-flanges.  Once I got a good seal, they tended to melt away (very comfortable) - and isolation seemed really good. I wouldn't rate them quite as good as my SE535s (rated up to 37dB) - but they are pretty good, and once the music is playing, you're not going to notice much (if any) outside noise.

Listening Set-up
Mostly I listened to the Popos straight out of my iPod Touch G4 - but also from iPhone4, both DAPS via LOD to E11, and also LOD to PortaTube (using a volume attenuator on the PortaTube because of it's powerful output).  In all honesty - they all sounded pretty similar - with cleanest sound being iPhone4 > LOD > PortaTube.  Mostly I stuck with the iPod Touch 4 for simplicity though - these are very easy to drive! I've mentioned below some of the music I tested these with - all were 256aac.  All are from CD's I've ripped myself (EAC), or HQ flac downloads, which I've then converted to 256aac cbr. 

Sound Quality
For a self proclaimed 'neutral-head', these are a complete departure from my usual preferred signature.  HiSoundAudio describes the intended signature as "The PoPo IEMs have been designed to reproduce Pop and Rock genres as if you were there in the recording studio. They have the ability to create a strong and crisp ambience of any type of music you listen to. Their sound signature is engaging and fun, and you will find yourself getting immersed in the music."  Read on for my impressions on individual facets of the signature, and overall impression.

Detail/Clarity - 
This is probably the most surprising bit - these actually have a reasonable amount of detail - despite the fact that they are unashamedly bassy and have a warm mid-range.  They have quite a crisp - but also smooth top-end.  Listening to Alison Krauss & U.S. (Dustbowl Children), the banjo picking is quite clear.  I also tried some classical (Julia Fischer and the Russian National Orchestra playing Tchaikovsky's Concerto for Violin in D) - and while they do not approach the finesse, separation, or clarity of either my SE535 or B2, they are not dull, and only very slightly muffled.

Sound-stage - 
Again - really surprised.  While the staging is not huge (I've personally never heard an overly expansive IEM), these definitely have some width and depth.  Often, I felt as though I was in quite a spacious room - especially with live recordings.  Most notable for me was Adele (Live at The Royal Albert Hall).  There is a real depth in the recording and the Popo copes with it quite admirably.  Another is Clapton's "Unplugged" album.  There is enough separation to convey space - although as with most IEM's I've tried, perceived listener positioning is still relatively close to the stage.

Highs - 
There seems to be reasonable extension - enough to hear cymbals and high-hats, and the treble that is present is quite clean.  To me it is still smooth with an element of crispness - but definitely sits behind both the mid-range and bass.

Mids - 
These are ever so slightly forward with female vocals, slightly further back with male vocals.  They are quite engaging (but fun) - to the point that I often found it almost distracting trying to write this review.  I'd get lost in the music for a while and forget what I was trying to type.  I've always loved a dynamic mid-range, and these definitely have some of that quality.  I would describe the mid-range as very smooth and overall warm and slightly dark.

Bass - 
The Popo has a lot more bass than I am used to.  Most of it seems to be centered around the mid-bass, which for the most part is punchy and full.  Occasionally it does have the ability to overpower and become boomy - but this only seems to be on very bassy tracks.  To my ears it extends reasonably low - there is deifnitely a feeling of power when called for.  There does seem to be reasonable texture to the bass - and my main cricticism of it (personal view) is that there is just too much for my tastes.  It can slightly overshadow the rest of the spectrum at times.  I think they were aiming for today's younger consumers with the Popo (pop and rock lovers) - and for their target audience, they've probably nailed it.

Power Requirements / Sensitivity
These operate very well without an amp, and I really can't see too many people wanting to use an amp for included bass-boost features.  Again, for probable target audience - straight out of a portable dap - the Popo are going to perform really well. 

Comparison with SE535 Ltd Ed
I started to write this - and then realised it's completely unfair.  The SE535 Red is a $450+ triple driver, the Popo is a sub $100 single driver.  But since I started ... 
  1. Popo has a lot more bass quantity - SE535 has less quantity but better control and texture
  2. Both have good mid-range with SE535 being more forward, more detailed and again having better control and separation.
  3. Highs definitely better on the SE535 - especially for overall detail and clarity - but the Popo are still enjoyable, and that says a lot about what HiSoundAudio have achieved.
  4. Soundstage can be both deeper and wider on the Popos - but I find that I personally prefer the initimacy of the SE535
  5. I find the SE535 sound a lot more natural - while the Popo are warmer, more laid back, and defintiely aimed at feet-tapping, head-bopping fun.

Notes On Music Genres
I've tested these with a lot of different types of music over the last few days.  Here is just a few notes.  This may help some prospective buyers.
  1. Classical - Julia Fischer (Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos) - just a little too laid back to be ultimately enjoyable - didn't match overly well.
  2. Classical - Mozart (Oboe Concerto) - this was a lot better but it also had better pace - quite enjoyable.
  3. Jazz - Diana Krall (The Girl In The Other Room) - double-bass is quite well represented (almost too much), does suit Krall's vocals quite a bit - enjoyable.
  4. Jazz - Charles Mingus (Mingus Ah Um) - this was quite surprising - handled the trumpet with ease, and the double-bass again sounded really excellent.  Really relaxing listen.  Just missing some of the top end detail and crispness at times.  
  5. Classic Rock - Clapton (Unplugged) - did this really well - good back-beat, and everything gelled together well.  Sense of space in the recording was really quite enjoyable.
  6. Classic Rock - Little River Band (Greatest Hits) - one of the few albums that the Popos didn't play well with.  Sounded quite cavernous at times until a decent bass-beat kicked in - almost like it needed the bass to equalise the bigger soundstage.
  7. Female Pop - Adele (Live at the Royal Albert Hall) - a lot of Adele's music has a really good deep bass back-beat, and the Popo handle this really well.  Enjoyable.
  8. Female Pop - Christina Perri (Lovestrong) - again, a fun listen with anything having a nice back-beat.  At times a little too warm and dark for me (I'm used to a bit more presence in the mid-range and less bass)
  9. Modern Rock - Alter Bridge (One Day Remains) - bassheads will love these - bass is deep, quite well defined, and really hard hitting.  Seems to cope nicely with a change of pace.
  10. Modern Rock - Linkin Park (Meteora) - I personally found the bass a little overpowering, especially the distortion on the guitars coupled with the drums.  Again though - I think bassheads will really enjoy this.
  11. Blues - Joe Bonamassa (Live From Nowhere In Particular) - not bad, but I found that the drums overshadowed the guitar in some places - and the guitar should be the forefront of this album (back to the grados for me with this album).
  12. Blues - Beth Hart (Live at Paradiso) - thoroughly enjoyable.  Listened to the whole album .... twice.  Combination of bass, soundstage, and Beth's slightly brighter vocals was really good.
  13. Trip Hop - Little Dragon (Ritual Union) - this was what the Popos were designed for I think.  Really good.  Great bass, and still very clear vocals.
  14. Dubstep - Salmonella Dub (Live In Concert With The NZSO) - really enjoyed this one.  It's superbly mastered, and the Popos do a great job handling the bass in conjunction wioth the symphony orchestra in the background.
  15. Rap - Eminem (Curtain Call) - can get boomy at times, but again I think this is what the Popo were made for.  Rappers will enjoy the beat.  Definitely thumping.
  16. Alternative Rock - Porcupine Tree (In Absentia) - another album that sounded a little hollow and cavernous until the drums kicked in.  Didn't really suit this music.  Mid-range sounded distant.

Conclusion
I have to admit that I wasn't sure how I would like these when I heard the first reviews describe the level of bass that the Popo has - but HiSoundAudio has balanced this out a little with a nice mid-range, and enough sparkle to make the whole package enjoyable.  For the target audience (more modern pop, rock, dnb lovers), I think these will be a big hit - especially considering their price.  They are definitely fun, but unfortunately the abundance of bass would detract from long term listening for me.  I found that if I was only listening to the Popos, the more I had them on, the more used to the signature I became, and the higher the enjoyment.  As soon as I switched to my 535's though, I realised what I had been missing (better clarity / detail / balance).  

After listening to these, I will be following HiSoundAudio's progress closely. If they can apply the same build quality and technical ability of the Popo to a slightly different audience (more neutral signature), it could be another very enjoyable experience.  I will definitely have to listen to one of their DAPs sometime in the future - these guys know what audio is about.

My take on the Popos - definitely recommended for bass lovers, and anyone who likes a strong bass-line beat.  Very good quality for the price.  I personally will stick with my SE535 (it suits my sonic preference) - but acknowledge the Popo as an extremely good value (albeit heavily coloured) fun IEM.

Things I'd recommend HiSoundAudio to change : include a carry case, chin slider, and look at possibility of at least one set of foam tips.

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #18 of 40
Got mine today; reserved.

Initial impressions: somewhat impressed actually; this hasn't happened ever for a sub $100 product. Currently using biflanges cause nothing else fits. Very comfortable, firm enough fit (doesn't feel loose or like it will fall out, but doens't feel extremely firm. Right now I'm sitting so its not a good benchmark of how well it'll perform outdoors). Rather annoyed that I can't wear these for a while after I shower (though its the same with any IEM). Its less of an issue for my customs, however. I like the isolation on these, though I haven't taken it outside to do real tests though. Microphonics are potentially an issue and I've yet to test bone conduction.

Strengths: ambient music without much going on, styling and design (I think its beautiful and very classy)
Mediocre at: vocals, atmosphere, piano
Weaknesses: percussion, cymbals, congested music (metal for example. It feels unlistenable compared to my HE-500), soundstage (as you'd expect from any lower-end IEM)

*These are not relative to the price point, but rather relative to my other headphones, namely HE-500, UM Miracle, ATH-ES10. Just to keep it in mind.

Update 2:

This is rather interesting. Going from the Hisound Pop to the HE-500 (on my iBasso D4), I find that I can hear more weaknesses of the HE-500, probably due to the fact that I'm listening more critically now. This is probably due to the HE-500 being underamped. However, I would like to congratulate a budget IEM for sticking it to the revered HE-500..

Some photos for now:

The package it came in. As you can see, the IEMs are somewhat out of placeholders. No damage, though. Hisound seems to be using a PAA-1 container with a Pop cutout as a placeholder for the Pop IEM until they design a new box.

A display of the accessories. Small, medium, and large single, bi, and triflanges are provided.

A display of the IEM. There is about 42 cm of space between the IEM and the Y split (measured straight). The entire cable length is about 125 cm.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #20 of 40
Packaging/Accessories
  1. The PoPo comes in a clear plastic case with the window showcasing the PoPo's unique style. 
  2. Tons of tips are included along with a shirt clip as the accessories.

Design/Build
  1. The PoPo has a pretty unique design with the wooden housing matched with black metal and red cables. It honestly isn't my style but I'm sure a lot of people would be into it.
  2. It's built pretty well from what I observed with a sold housing, sturdy cable, and good strain reliefs. The cable, while being well made, is a little hard to manage at times and is not soft at all. It's also lacking a choker.
  3. My set had some driver flex but it's pretty common with dynamic IEMs.

Sound
  1. Treble is very detailed and never harsh, sort of laid back.
  2. Midrange is smooth and neither forward or recessed, vocals sounded decent but had some bass bleed in certain tracks.
  3. Bass is pretty powerful with impact but not overbearing like the TFTA 1Vs. Pretty good sub and midbass.
  4. Soundstage is about average overall.

Conclusion
  1. It's a good option if you like bass and a unique style but not if you're looking for something with an analytical sound or plain style. It performs better than a lot of higher-priced mainstream IEMs available at retails stores imo. Not a bad choice for its price.

Pictures

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 40
 ​
 ​

First off, these things are impressive. From the build to the SQ, I was pleasantly surprised by what I experienced. 

Miscellaneous Stuff

The body of the actual iem is smaller than I expected. The tips you see in the picture seem to be the medium sony hybrids (or a clone), and they're almost the size of the earphone. This, along with the fact that the're pretty light, lend to the feeling of the iems almost disappearing in the ears. Yes, the almost is highlighted for a reason that I'll elaborate on later.

Build quality wise, the Popo is quite solid. The wooden body is sturdy, and the cables seem like they won't be croaking out anytime soon. 
The Popo is actually an attractive earphone. The wood and red cables just scream "HEY! Yeah, you. Look at me. Yeah, I'm sexy and I know it." It's quite opposite of the understated looks of my GR07.

People who have trouble finding a fit with the plethora of tips included with the Popo should just jump straight to custom tips. Hisound included several different sizes of single, double, and triple flange tips to ensure everyone would be able to get a decent seal.

Sound

If you're looking for a clean, balanced Grado/Etymotic sound, stop reading. Still here? Ok.

The Popo is a bassy beast. Remember when I bolded the "almost" when I said the Popo almost disappears in the ears? Well, this is why. The bass is like having subwoofers on each side of the head. However, it's one of the (if not THE) best bassy iems I've ever heard. The rumble and slam this thing produces is amazing. I'm experiencing some of my music in an entirely different way. It reminds me of the sound system I had in my dorms that made the whole place shake, and got me in trouble with the R.A.s on a regular basis. 

Although the bass is the most dominant part of the spectrum, the treble is also quite good. I didn't feel like anything was missing from the upper registers, and there was sufficient sparkle to keep things lively.

The mids are also surprisingly present for an iem with this amount of bass. They're not Shures or anything, but the mids are still audible and enjoyable.

I honestly think this is the bess bass oriented IEM you can get for the price. They're surprisingly detailed, have good timbre, and have that special woody goodness. They utterly trounce the Klipsch S4 and the original Monster Turbine. If you want great bass slam without sacrificing the rest of the audio spectrum, while still keeping enough money to feed yourself and kids, the Hisound Popo is the one for you.

Favorite songs so far on the Popo:
1) Going Home - Leonard Cohen (The bass gives his already awesome voice so much more power)
2) The Motto - Drake (I could feel the sub-bass all the way in my chest)
3) Changes - 2Pac
4) Vybz Kartel (Jamaican dancehall music)
5) Like Glue - Sean Paul (dancehall again)

P.S.

I noticed a fair amount of driver flex upon deep insertion, so you might want to take that into consideration.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #24 of 40

First off I’d like to thank hisound for sending me a pair for review.
Also I would like to note that according to an email from jack the name of the popo has been changed to the pop and I will refer to it as the pop for this review.

First Impressions

At first I found the pop to be very bassy and found the bass to be very overpowering. After about a 100hours of burn in it seems to have gotten more enjoyable to listen to but still lots of bass for my taste.Right off the bat they look gorgeous however I am really digging the rosewood just looks fantastic.These are definitely a bass heads dream in the sub 100$ range .

Packaging

The pop are very nicely packaged in a nice plastic enclosure and come packaged with a total of 10 different tips, one shirt clip and a VIP card (not sure what it’s purpose is yet). Nothing was dislodged from its packaging in transit.

Build Quality

The pop is very well built and the wood used looks really snazzy there are maybe one or two chips where the wood housing meets the metal part but nothing major. The cable is a nice bright red rubberized cable and doesn’t seem to tangle itself to hell and back when they’re in my pocket which is a definite bonus. The strain reliefs seem to do their job but the jack seems to be the weak link here if anything goes on these I suspect it would be the jack. That being said they are VERY well built and feel like a nice IEM overall.

Comfort and Isolation

With the large amount of tips included with the pop you have to find something that suits your ears personally I like the tri flange I find them very comfortable. Now as for isolation these do very well for a ported IEM they block out all noises of the public transit system such as busses and keep out exterior noise while on campus it’s just you and the music. As for microphonics nothing special here they aren’t overly noisy but if rustled you will hear it a little bit that being said the shirt clip could help with this.

Sound Quality

The most important part of these IEMs is the sound quality. First things first you are going to be welcomed with bass and a lot of bass but it’s not muddy and all over the place it’s a fairly tight bass and is pleasant when listening to bass heavy music, in rock the bass guitar is really what sets the tone and rhythm of the song it comes through so clearly and pleasantly. The bass does bleed through the mids and overpowers them a tad but I didn’t find it to distracting the mids still had presence and sound warm vocals sound really good on these actually. The highs aren’t extremely prominent or overpowering which I enjoyed as it caused for minimal fatigue. The soundstage I found was  actually pretty large and airy which I loved the instruments had nice separation and the sound didn’t feel too compressed or squished. Do they need an amp you may ask NAY I say they do improve a tad out of a good source and amp but worked flawlessly out of my lg phone.
All in all I quite liked the pop IEM and will be using them as my daily IEMs they will be replacing my klipsh S2 as I like these much more they just do everything better.

Conclusion

If you’re a bass head and don’t have too much money to burn on a pair of IEMs I would strongly recommend the pop as I think it would be difficult to beat them for the price range they seem to do a lot of things well and surprised me in a lot of aspects absolutely with my first impressions of too much bass I’ve grown to really enjoy these woodies. Not to mention they’re STYLIN.

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #25 of 40
I find these very interesting.

As classical guitar is a passionate interest of mine, as is restoration, I find the use of African Rosewood fascinating and fun.  I am after these, Ive never seen anything like them on an iem...but I am rather new to all of this.

hisoundaudio's products always clicked with me...I have always been very pleased with their offerings, and their customer support and presence has always been great. I get the impression Jack really is working hard to do his best.

..all of these armchair warriors who are everpresent within forums, throw out their thoughts and criticisms on things without respect and in ignorance of what hard work is required to take something you love and bring it to market and please  the masses, and all else that is involved they cant imagine...but I digress.

Why does every reviewer state.."looks like real wood.." when it is stated "african rosewood" as the material being used?? Of course it is?! The'yre not making it up?! African Rosewood is a real wood. I can see that many listen to guitars but cannot play...as it is a very common wood used in guitar construction, though not as Brazilian.

I enjoyed the balanced reviews though by both thus far posted..they are helpful and well written. But for every 10 who say too much bass, there will be 10 who say there is no bass, so, in the end one must try it and judge for themselves.

..cracks me up (and angers a bit honestly) these people "reserving" a space to leave their reviews....jeeezzz

Solipsism syndrome anyone??

Forums....yep, 10-11 posts, that's about always my limit....ciao

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:
I enjoyed the balanced reviews though by both thus far posted..they are helpful and well written. But for every 10 who say too much bass, there will be 10 who say there is no bass, so, in the end one must try it and judge for themselves.

Wow you have an elitist attitude if I ever saw one, im pretty sure you own an iPad, as for the too much bass, well it depends how you phrase the question dear sir.

Let me explain, it depends on your preferences, however most good reviewers wont say it has too much unless stating its in relation to their personal tastes, what they will say is in relation to a neutral sound signature they have inflated/emphasized bass, and a lot at that, i challenge you to find ANYONE who disagrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian1962 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

..cracks me up (and angers a bit honestly) these people "reserving" a space to leave their reviews....jeeezzz

Solipsism syndrome anyone??

Solipsism syndrome? Honestly? Your moronic, I'm pretty sure your attempt to sound intelligent just mimics your own insecurities, not being tit-for-tat but you are coming across as sounding exactly as if you suffer from the syndrome you mentioned, why you ask, well simple you have been here how long? Oh wait not long, and you dare insult a community built around helping each other out in finding what's best for each persons needs, and the best for what they can afford.

The reason we reserved the posts is because many of us were fortunate enough to have been given these for free, and as such we have an obligation to review them, and properly, I personally am going to spend a month with these whilst switching between 2 other IEM's. But just because I received them for free it does not mean I must abandon all my morals and and just write a falsified excuse for excrement that says they are awesum. NO! the users of this site, the manufacturer, and anybody who finds their way here deserves the truth and that's what I shall write.

Quote:

Forums....yep, 10-11 posts, that's about always my limit....ciao

Yes please take your Narcissistic personality disorder and **** off.

\rant

PS. I do think I'm entertaining a troll, but I wont let that rude and ridiculous comment stand without rebuttal.

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #27 of 40
Pros: good formfactor, comfortable, lots of tips to ensure a fit, very well built
Cons: will shine with only certain types of music, no pouch, no chin slide adjuster
                                                                  Disclaimer
Those of us sitting at the back of the bus who love our music reserve the right to practice a healthy dose of skepticism involving audio gear as we ride along the long winding road that is life.  Until said gear has passed our personal expectations thus meriting the mantra of GOOD GEAR any and all reviewers/reviews will be taken with a grain of salt. As natural born cynics we also expect those around us to practice a healthy level of free thought and approach our reviews with a healthy dose of skepticism. In the event there's violent disagreement concerning gear reviewed then please grab said gear throw it out the bus window grab your own much loved gear and by all means please join us fellow cynics at the back of the bus. Please be sure said gear being thrown out the window isn't mine.

Intro
Before I begin this review I would like to make it perfectly clear that although I have IEM's that can be classed as bassy I'm NOT a basshead and the PoPo is far from my sound signature of choice. The PoPo is your standard colored warm sounding IEM with an overly emphasized low end and roll off in it's highs. Note presentation is thick and note decay is rather slow. The end result the general sound signature is laid back and non fatiguing. It's a pleasant enough sound but because of how it's been tuned this little IEM for me is quite limited in what type of music it shines with. The PoPo is the type of IEM that lives and breaths souley in basshead territory. To my ears although it does slam pretty good and could be called a bass cannon I prefer to call it a rumble monster, more on that in a bit.

Specs
Type: Dynamic, In-Ear
Size of driver: 9mm
Impedance: 16 Ohm
Sensitivity: 110db
Maximum SPL (Sound pressure level): 127db(1khz, 1 Vrms)
Frequency response: 20-21khz
Earphone jack: 3.5mm
Cable length: 126cm

Accessories Formfactor  and Comfort
The PoPo comes packaged in a small minimalist box, very Apple like I may add. Inside you get the PoPo, a shirt clip, a large assortment of tips, 3 sets of different tips in (S,M,L) of regular ear tips bi-flange tips, and triple-flange tips, and NO pouch. The plethora of extra tips ensuring a proper ear fit for the vast majority of users is a very nice touch by HiSound but the lack of a cheap one dollar poach is a bad omission for an IEM in this price range.

Form factor wise this little IEM is quite well put together. The cables are sturdy and non microphonic and the strain reliefs seem quite solid. The wood housing made of African Rosewood is quite nice and makes the IEM look quite beautiful. The PoPo plug is a 3.5 mm straight plug which I'm really not fond of, I prefer a 90 degree angle plug on an IEM, but that's just me and it's far from a deal breaker. One thing that I really didn't like about the PoPo formfactor was the omission of a neck slide adjuster on the IEM. A neck slide adjuster in this IEM's price range should be a no brainer and I was rather surprised at this omission.

Comfort and fit wise these IEM's are up there amongst my other stable of easy pop in forget about them and go IEM's. The large selection of tips guarantees a good fit for the wide majority of users out there. Isolation, although vented they isolate well enough that you'll have to keep your eyes open or wind up under a car. My Sony MDR EX600 is vented and I'm rather impressed how much better the vented PoPo can isolate out noise next to my EX600. Overall I'd have to say the PoPo is a well built comfortable IEM and HiSound did an acceptably good job with it. If they had included a poach and a neck slide adjuster with the PoPo I would have said an excellent job and not just a good job.

Soundstage             
Usually when I review an IEM I only quickly touch on soundstage near the end of a review but with the PoPo I have to make an exception because soundstage for this 60 to 70 dollar IEM is done exceptionally well. It's not the most expansive or detailed soundstage I've ever heard but it still easily dwarfs the soundstages of other similarly priced IEM's. Although the PoPo is thick and bass heavy overall instrument positioning is excellent and overall imaging is also excellent. Left right front and back instrument separation and positioning is very very good on this IEM. The result sound layering becomes very good and I'm hearing a very good 3D like presentation that I would class as above par for this tier of IEM. I have to say it's very nicely done and I'm impressed with the PoPo's soundstage capabilities.

Highs
The highs on the PoPo aren't to bad for this tier of IEM. They're generally smooth and non fatiguing and I'm noticing some roll off in the upper treble region. There is a bit of sparkle up top I'm glad to say and it can smash and crash when the music demands it. It's a pretty traditional approach as far as highs are concerned for a bass head IEM with deep bass extension and it's what I expected from this tier of IEM. Detail retrieval is generally good although not great. In all fairness to Hisound the PoPo wasn't created for the neutral detail obsessed audiophile market. It was created the young fun loving mainstream pop rock and electronica market.  

Mids
In a nutshell the PoPo mids are rather unassuming. They don't necessarily do anything wrong per say but they don't do anything to really make them stand out either. Guitars on the PoPo come across as thick and crunchy and detail retrieval can sound a little smeared at times due to it's warm bass dominant tuning. Vocal presentation is presented slightly forward and sound rather nice and I'm especially liking how female vocals are presented. Upper mid range to lower high range transition seems good and sibilance control is very good. Lower mid to upper low frequency transition though I'm not to fond of and I'm noticing some heavy leaching of bass into the PoPo's lower mids. End result part of the mids feel veiled and for a lack of a better word masked.

Bass
What makes the PoPo stand out amongst other Bassy IEM's is the incredible amount of mid/sub bass which really reaches down deep. I've never heard an IEM with so much rumble before in my life. My Turbines, X10 and S4 don't even come close to the amount of rumble the PoPo can generate. You listen to a bass centric song with deep bass on the PoPo and it feels like the bass completely envelopes the listener. The only way I can describe the PoPo bass is it's an incredibly deep shaking enveloping rumble monster. Although interesting and rather fun at times there's way to much of it and because of this the PoPo for me becomes quite limited in the kind of music it can play. I'll say it, on a lot of my electronica, trance, and some pop rock the PoPo's overly enveloping bass can be fun but my God it's not something I'd want all the time and I definitely don't want it with my rock metal or jazz.

Final Conclusions
I'll be straight up and honest about it, as stated at the beginning of this review the PoPo is not my kind of sound signature. This little IEM is a bassheads delight come true though and for them it'll work very well. For what it brings to the table sonically it's a well priced IEM. My only point of contention with it formfactor wise is for it's pricing it should have a neck slide adjuster on it's Y split or at the very least a cheap pouch. For the basshead looking for a good entry level IEM the PoPo I would say is worth looking into. For everyone else though I can only say move along folks there's nothing to see here.

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #28 of 40
I would not call the Popo Bass Heavy either, I would call it Bass Potent.  There are some headphones that have a constant low end presence that makes them feel weighted, these are what I would consider Bass Heavy, sets like the Ultrasone Pro 750, 900, Sony XB series, ect ect. Most of these sets have poor responsiveness, meaning when there are very low lows in the track, the bass will distort and not hit hard or deep.  The Popo has good presence but its not overbearing, however, its responsiveness is significant.  It hits hard, broadly and very deep.  By very deep I mean... VERY DEEP.    It retains excellent clarity on par with iems much more expensive yet also has an excellent soundstage in height, weight, depth, airiness and separation ( as does all of hisounds headphones.  Paired with the Studio V, its a killer.  But with Daps like the J3 which have amazing EQ customization, you can achieve insane levels of bass deepness.   My review was posted a while back:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/593088/hisoundaudios-new-wooden-iems-the-popo-and-hiphone-4

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #29 of 40

Quote:
I would not call the Popo Bass Heavy either, I would call it Bass Potent.  There are some headphones that have a constant low end presence that makes them feel weighted, these are what I would consider Bass Heavy, sets like the Ultrasone Pro 750, 900, Sony XB series, ect ect. Most of these sets have poor responsiveness, meaning when there are very low lows in the track, the bass will distort and not hit hard or deep.  The Popo has good presence but its not overbearing, however, its responsiveness is significant.  It hits hard, broadly and very deep.  By very deep I mean... VERY DEEP.    It retains excellent clarity on par with iems much more expensive yet also has an excellent soundstage in height, weight, depth, airiness and separation ( as does all of hisounds headphones.  Paired with the Studio V, its a killer.  But with Daps like the J3 which have amazing EQ customization, you can achieve insane levels of bass deepness.   My review was posted a while back:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/593088/hisoundaudios-new-wooden-iems-the-popo-and-hiphone-4

nice clarification, i may steal some of the wording :) (will ofcourse give credit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back