Hirsch's Ultra Fabulous August 24th Headphone Meet Has Occurred
Aug 28, 2003 at 12:37 PM Post #16 of 42
Whose earmax is that? I didn't know they came in that colour or is it a DIY job.

The R10's in that pic look quite shiny,my 2 month old pair have more of a matt finish.

Aug 28, 2003 at 12:42 PM Post #17 of 42
The Earmax Pro belongs to Dusty Chalk. AFAIK it's the stock color (it's the only color I've seen them in, both in person and in advertisements).

The glossy finish on the R10 may be an artifact of my poor photography. OTOH, I've got one of the earliest (#13), so it's possible that the finish changed slightly over the years. In person, mine look more matte than the photo indicates, though.

Aug 28, 2003 at 12:54 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
The Earmax Pro belongs to Dusty Chalk. AFAIK it's the stock color (it's the only color I've seen them in, both in person and in advertisements).

My euro one is dark brown in colour,I don't think you can get the blue ones in Europe

Aug 29, 2003 at 4:23 AM Post #19 of 42
These pics were taken by Grahamndodder, who's a far better photographer than I am:

D01.jpg

D02.jpg

D03.jpg

D04.jpg

D05.jpg

D06.jpg

D07.jpg

D08.jpg

D09.jpg

D10.jpg

Aug 29, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #20 of 42
Man, I still wish I could have attended this. To bad I had to get to Illinois the weekend beforehand. Hope everyone had a great time, and I hope I'll be around for future Maryland meets. ^_^

Aug 29, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #22 of 42
In the last pic, why are there 4 BSSR cables? Aren't there only 2 amps/sources? Anybody have any thoughts on this cable?

Aug 29, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
In the last pic, why are there 4 BSSR cables? Aren't there only 2 amps/sources? Anybody have any thoughts on this cable?

There are only two pairs of the BSSR cables (one pair per amp). Each cable has the signal and return lead separated by a spacer. I'm not sure I've got enough burn-in time on the cables to judge them. My initial reaction is very favorable. They've got loads of detail. The sound is a little thin compared to the top of the line Virtual Dynamics cable, but then again the price is a lot thinner too.

Aug 29, 2003 at 3:11 PM Post #24 of 42
Hirsch,

Looks like another awesome meet you threw together. Great job, too bad I couldn't make it. (I have a good excuse this time.) Thanks for all the photos and impressions. So much gear, so little time.

Hey Hirsch, you lose more weight? You look like you dropped another 20lbs since I last saw you.

Aug 29, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #27 of 42
Grahamndodder has, indeed, provided us with very good pictures.
Is he a pro? I'm not sure about that, but he certainly knows how to use a camera (and a flash)! Nice job, Grahmndodder!

----- Hirsch,

Your pics were good, too. The difference is that you allowed the flash to become more apparent (predominant)...

Whereas Grahamndodder used the flash bounced off the ceiling (or some other reflective surface), you used it directly (straightly) into the subject - a more incisive approach.

Thus, Grahamndodder's pictures revealed all the ambience of the place, with natural shadows and soft colors, whereas yours were just "less real" - with vivid colors and greater depth-of-field, though!

Keep up the good work, both of you. Thanks to you and your pics, people who couldn't attend (like myself) are now able to "participate" in Hirsch's ultra-fabulous meet
frown.gif
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #28 of 42
Actually he is a pro...in fact, a staff photographer for the Baltimore Sun. Come out and defend yourself grahamndodder!

Quote:

Originally posted by SuperMario
Grahamndodder has, indeed, provided us with very good pictures.
Is he a pro? I'm not sure about that, but he certainly knows how to use a camera (and a flash)! Nice job, Grahmndodder!

Aug 29, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
There are only two pairs of the BSSR cables (one pair per amp). Each cable has the signal and return lead separated by a spacer.

Ah ok. So it wasn't a mirage
tongue.gif
Well that's an interesting design.

Aug 29, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #30 of 42
Hey, hey, hey...

Stop trying to compare my pix to Hirsch's. He really didn't have a very fair playing field. My flash pix were destined to be better balanced than his.

Why? Well, I was wearing my dampening weights, which control ambient vibrational harmonics, on my head. There is no sense in buying the expensive "photo-phile" ones, either. I make my own. Simply take a garden variety cinderblock ($2.00, home depot) and glue three "plumb-bob" style pointed brass cones ($3.50 ea, same source) in a 2" equilateral triangle pattern in the center of one side of the block.

Now, before attempting to shoot flash in mixed light conditions, simply place the block on the top of your head (with the sharpened - you must sharpen them each time for best contact with the skull - point resting on the top of your head) solidly supporting the 47-lb cinderblock.

You can easily hand-hold mixed-light flash photos down to about a quarter second.

Naturally, I was not able to take a photo of myself while so outfitted, but I am surprised Hirsch didn't include one with his set.

BTW, sorry about the blood drops on the Gilmore, Hirsch.

GnD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back