Hirsch's Stunning, Spectacular, Dazzling Feb. 7th Head-fi Meet Has Occurred!!!
Feb 8, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #46 of 82
Hirsch, how many LPs do you have?
biggrin.gif

Did anybody catch his tube museum?

There's just a lot of stuff there. Just sheer blinding eye and ear candy. Looks like it was an awesome meet.

Feb 8, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #48 of 82
Hey, I'm famous now! That's me in the blue shirt in two of the pics. That guy who looks stoned wasn't--I think--and, believe me, I would know. In mid-blink. Wish I had more time to stay but the ball & chain was callin' me home. I'll post my impressions later but the number of setups was overwhleming in the few hours I could stay. I could been there all day. My first meet and it was a great one. Eyepod, if you're reading this, we missed you dude! A few of us wanted to hear that Cary of yours!
frown.gif

Feb 8, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #49 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by stryker
That guy who looks stoned wasn't--I think--and, believe me, I would know. In mid-blink.

Wow, talk about bad timing!

Feb 9, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #51 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Who's the stoned guy with the AKG K1000s on his head!
evil_smiley.gif
First Picture of K1000s.

Hehe, and the second pic he's in where he's cross legged on the floor looks like he's in the midst of rolling one up.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Is that a Celestion speaker that the glass head with K1000's is sitting on?

Feb 9, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #52 of 82
First, I want to thank Hirsch for puttin' on a show, and being a such a gracious host. I am sure there was a serious spike in electric use in the Rockville area yesterday. My only regret is that I only had a couple of hours to spend. It was great to put faces with names and meet some of the people I have been talkin' to on Head-FI. It was also great fun to see and hear all of the amazing equipment. FYI I'm the guy in the yellow shirt sitting on the floor with most of my hair missing (damn I'm bald! When did that happen?).

rolleyes.gif

Well worth the trip!

600smile.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #53 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Is that a Celestion speaker that the glass head with K1000's is sitting on?

I was just about to post about that, that apparently nobody else caught the pair of copper-tweetered (original version) Nextelled SL600's but apparently you did!! Nice call.

Feb 9, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #54 of 82
Man i would love to go to a meet.....let alone this one
biggrin.gif

BTW, how did everyone like the dt880's? Im curious as i may get them soon.

Feb 9, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #56 of 82
First some corrections from my previous post. The source running the Perraux amp was a Denon, and not a Marantz as I first mentioned. Also, the other Stax phone, was an SR-404, and not an SR-303 as I previously reported…..

OK, more impressions,

The vinyl Rig….

We had the chance to hear Hirsch’s Vinyl rig yesterday. It consists of the VPI Aries Scout, the JMW-M-9 arm, Dynavector 10X Gold L cartridge. In conjunction with the Xcan V2 phono stage hooked up to the Ear HP4 headamp. One of the beauties of this system is that allows 4 listeners out of the HP4: two from the low/two from high ampedance outs. Indeed great amp for meets. Headphones were HP2s, one pair with the std lab cable, the other with the UWR cable.

The turntable itself is “tweaked”: It sits on a dedicated table with a granite isolation platform. It has an aftermarket counterweight, with a lower gravity center, on the arm. It has been reported that these type of counterweights improve the bass and overall detail. I have not done an A/B, but plan to do it at some point in the future on my Rega P25, where a variety of aftermarket counterweights are available. I think I am trying the Expressimo first. Anyway, in Hirch’s rig, the vertical tracking force is correctly “enforced” on the cartridge in an ingenious way: since the Dyna cartridge low physical mass almost precludes the use of aftermarket counterweights. This issue has been resolved in newer versions of the Dyna, by the addition of a mounting metal surface that it is attached to the cartridge body contributing to the total cart mass. In the case of my Dyna 10 X5 it weights in at about 6.5 grms, I think earlier models like Hirsch’s are at about 4.6 grms. But Hirsch got around the low-mass cartridge issue using a material that, on first impression, looked like a giant booger attached to the arm head to me. In fact the first time I saw the arm, I thought to myself, man it must take years of devoted practice to come up with such a beast. My hopes of “tweaking” a turntable in such a way were then in dire-straights…. but gratefully Hirsch was quick to point out that the origin of the mysterious material in none other than a commercial source, similar to silly-putty (to my total relieve) (j/k). I wish we had a pic to illustrate my comments
wink.gif

I brought over copies of Sigur Ros ( ) on vinyl and on CD. The idea was to do the comparison between the two sounds. Due to time constrains we never got to do this specific showdown. I must mention that this vinyl pressing of ( ) is know to be a noisy pressing (in fact Sigur Ros website does mention this fact). Anyway, other Sigur pressings are supposed to be just pristine sounding
smily_headphones1.gif
, so I am trying to get my hands on one of those. So as choices to demonstrate the vinyl sound this is not perhaps the quieter pressing, but I think it did served the purpose, read further…...

Hirsch’s vinyl collection is in an outstanding condition, so we selected from other LPs which had virtually zero surface noise. Nice. As noticed by the guys, setting up a vinyl listening session does take a bit more preparation, as cleaning of the stylus, cleaning of the vinyl, shooting the Zerostat gun perhaps…. But I personally not find it an unbearable burden and the reward is well worth it. So we started with ( ), the fluidity of the music it is obvious right from the start, the layers of sounds that come into play during the album are readily identifiable as interlocking facets of a composition. The instrument separation is great. Then we switched to “Bonaparte’s Retreat” by The Chieftans. Here it was a joy to hear the flutes played with such detail. Performers gasping for air, clear sound of lips separating from the instrument, great nuance and detail. Percusion clearly spaced, separated. The voice comes in and knocks you right out of the seat: This is a great album in that many of the tracks are instrumental, deep in melody and meaning, but then all of the sudden there comes a voice when you least expected in some of the songs….. great album. Then we listened to Hendrix, great dynamism, guitar clear, one could envision the strings been plucked… again for me, instrument definition and soundstage are quite remarkable.

The VPI Scout presents an unchallenged warm, defined, detailed sound. In my Rega P25, I find an attack and level of dynamism that I cannot find on the VPI, overall a more upfront sound. However, I find the whole compositions, albums, present a more coherent picture on the VPI, instruments are well 3D-separated but there is a sense of sound-continuity on the image that it is remarkable. The sound is richer. Some would describe the VPI as a “darker”sounding TT, I see it as a warmer rig that intercalates the stage with outstandingly warm sound…..

Feb 9, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #57 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by CD44hi
But Hirsch got around the low-mass cartridge issue using a material that, on first impression, looked like a giant booger attached to the arm head to me.

Blue-Tac is wonderful stuff. The JMW 9 really wants a heavier cartridge than the Dynavector 10x Gold L. Blue-Tac adds mass and dampens resonances simultaneously. I must admit it's not the most aesthetically pleasing way to do it, though.

The phono stage is the Musical Fidelity X-LP2. This is the dual mono X-Ponent phono stage. The top can is an X-PSU, while each of the bottom two cans is the amp for a separate channel. I actually found this very recently as a clearance item at Audio Advisor. They apparently had one stashed somewhere from when they were the dealer for Musical Fidelity and just found it and put it up for sale. (I've had one before, but sold it to another Head-Fi'er when I thought I didn't need it anymore.)

Feb 9, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #58 of 82
Well, FWIW, I tried the Beyer 250-250s for a good long time. They sound very nice for closed phones. However, there was something going on in the low to mid treble that wasn't for me. I looked at the headroom graphs and it seems to indicate a significant rise from 5 khz to 10 khz that probably corresponds to what I was hearing. But they are definitely $200 closed headphones, quite nice, comfortable, and non-fatiguing.

I compared the SR225s to my SR60s for a good long while. I noticed a little less highs and a little more bass in the 225s, but it wasn't enough for me to spring for them, I don't think. The SR60s are good enough for these humble ears. Again, I looked at the headroom graphs today to check against what I heard, and it seemed to bear me out.

I also took some extended time to compare my Sony CD780s to the CD3000s. The sonic signatures are pretty similar, but the upper midrange is noticeably brighter on the CD3000s. Maybe this is what people mean by the CD3000s being very revealing. Also, the CD780 is essentially a fully open phone, and you do get a more open sound from them. With the CD3000s, I did get a lot more soundstage because of how well done the closed design is, but with the CD780s I get the breathing, more relaxing open sound. No doubt the CD3000s are the better phones overall, but I decided my CD780s were just alright with me.

So I guess the bottom line is, I was looking for upgrades (and spending the extra money is a big deal in my situation) but couldn't quite justify based on what I heard.

So that's what I was looking into while I was there and what I decided.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #59 of 82
I'm curious to see if anyone took a listen to those W2002s with any of the lower end ($300 - $700) amps - now that the W11s are coming in and the MG Head's out I might revert to my former Perreaux-ness or try out the PPX3. I was strongly considering the Emmeline XP7, but after seeing all these impressions I'm going against it. I'd love to buy AC1's Carlo-modded Sugden Headmaster, but that would be the highest I could go.

So much to buy, so little money to buy it with.

Feb 9, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #60 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by strohmie
I'd love to buy AC1's Carlo-modded Sugden Headmaster, but that would be the highest I could go.

Don't even think about it, go buy it! The combination is very, very good! I think I could live with it forever...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back