Hippo VB Wheres the treble?!?
Jul 5, 2011 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

roket52

New Head-Fier
Hey all just curious to find out peoples impressions of the current batch of Hippo VB's. Jaben Audio was sold out of these IEM's for months and a new batch has just come through. I purchased a set and have to say I am completely surprised by their lack of treble. It seems they roll off after the midrange, and as for simbilance - the frequency response barely gets that high to create simbilance.. Cymbals can hardly be heard and are very recessed. As for things ive tried and noticed.. The bass ports have mismatching threads so some port sizes do not fit. These are said to have open canals but mine have small shields over the canals. I read heaps of reviews on these things and think I may have a bad apple or Hippo have changed them in their latest manufacturing batch. As for burn in, they have not been burnt in yet but burning in should not effect high frequency extension so much so I have been told.. Surely Hippo VB out the box should have some form of treble. Has anyone else had a similar experience with recently bought VB's?

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 3
I had the old VBs and I did not like them either. They sound similar to what you described -- rolled off highs.The shields I don't remember being there, are they the black cloth-like thing type?

I absolutely hated these but they were FOTM here on HeadFi a year or so back.

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 3
Yeah the shields are the black light cloth type thing  which i have removed now but still not much better. Dont get me wrong the bass is awesome but i need more than JUST bass to be satisfied.. its just a waste to not hear all the music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back