Hiphop/Rap suggestions for newbie
Feb 11, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #31 of 41

Quote:
Be - Common.

Great album.. Also Like Water for Chocolate is good to (a few tracks were produced by J Dilla which is a plus for me)

Quote:
Quote:

On another note you'll start to notice you can categorize the genre in so many different ways without realizing it (west coast vs east coast (im talking styles here not beef), hip-hop (boom bat) vs rap, commercial vs underground, et cetera) which will help you search for artist that fit to your likings.  I find that sometimes the digging is just as entertaining as the music itself.​

I've got a lot of problems if I want to subgenrerize (is that even a word?) hiphop. Whilst rock and electronic music are subgenrerized to death with subgenres within each subgenre etc. There don't seem to be any obvious sub-genres in hiphop. Which is a positive thing, but it does make the digging a lot more difficult.

Roots of Hip hop - Afrikaa Bambaataa, Universal Zulu Nation, Melle Mel, Furious Five  (this is the true B Boy / B Girl era) 
Old school Hip hop - Marley Marl, Kurtis Blow,
Golden age hip hop
New School Hip hop / rap

... sorry to stop this half way but im just gonna post a bunch of info on listening to hip hop in the wiki that way people can add onto it. ill post the link after.. hopefully it will help

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #32 of 41
Totally agree. It's really tough to recommend anything to you without you first letting me know what it is you want to hear. Hip-hop is just too diverse to narrow it down to the top ten. With that said, you're really new to hip-hop, so it'll be tough for you to tell us what you like. So here are some 'fresh to hip-hop' albums that are safe to listen to and won't scare you away (they're in no particular order):

1. Common - Resurrection
2. DJ Jazzy Jeff - Hip Hop Forever 2 & 3 (mixtape)
3. DJ Premier - Inside Lookin' Out (mixtape)
4. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
5. Dr. Dre - 2001
6. Gift of Gab - 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up
7. Method Man & Redman - Blackout!
8. Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Blackstar
9. NaS - Illmatic
10. Outkast - southernplayalisticadillacmuzik

That list is a decent start and it contains a wide range of styles of hip-hop, IMO. Also, those mixtapes are the s$$t. Anything by DJ Premier is really good as well because not only does he make phat beats, but he also brings people from every style of hip-hop.

Quote:
A lot of good suggestions here, but I think it would be important to know, what aspects of hip-hop appeal to you? Why Biggie but not Public Enemy? Hip-hop is a pretty diverse genre (and I despise the fact that everyone dumbs it down into a mainstream vs. underground battle). If you like hip-hop that deals with social/political issues, try Dead Prez, Common, Talib Kweli, or Mos Def. If you like gritty storytelling and tales of street life, Freddie Gibbs, Wu-Tang Clan, Royce Da 5'9", and Jean Grae are fantastic. If you're into jazzy beats, look for producers like Pete Rock, DJ Premier, J Dilla, and Nujabes. Learning to appreciate hip-hop definitely requires a different perspective from that of rock, but with patience you'll discover how rich it is.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #33 of 41

Quote:
Totally agree. It's really tough to recommend anything to you without you first letting me know what it is you want to hear. Hip-hop is just too diverse to narrow it down to the top ten. With that said, you're really new to hip-hop, so it'll be tough for you to tell us what you like. So here are some 'fresh to hip-hop' albums that are safe to listen to and won't scare you away (they're in no particular order):

1. Common - Resurrection
2. DJ Jazzy Jeff - Hip Hop Forever 2 & 3 (mixtape)
3. DJ Premier - Inside Lookin' Out (mixtape)
4. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
5. Dr. Dre - 2001
6. Gift of Gab - 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up
7. Method Man & Redman - Blackout!
8. Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Blackstar
9. NaS - Illmatic
10. Outkast - southernplayalisticadillacmuzik

That list is a decent start and it contains a wide range of styles of hip-hop, IMO. Also, those mixtapes are the s$$t. Anything by DJ Premier is really good as well because not only does he make phat beats, but he also brings people from every style of hip-hop.

Quote:
A lot of good suggestions here, but I think it would be important to know, what aspects of hip-hop appeal to you? Why Biggie but not Public Enemy? Hip-hop is a pretty diverse genre (and I despise the fact that everyone dumbs it down into a mainstream vs. underground battle). If you like hip-hop that deals with social/political issues, try Dead Prez, Common, Talib Kweli, or Mos Def. If you like gritty storytelling and tales of street life, Freddie Gibbs, Wu-Tang Clan, Royce Da 5'9", and Jean Grae are fantastic. If you're into jazzy beats, look for producers like Pete Rock, DJ Premier, J Dilla, and Nujabes. Learning to appreciate hip-hop definitely requires a different perspective from that of rock, but with patience you'll discover how rich it is.

This man deserves a Grammy

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #34 of 41
Busta Rhymes - Extinction Level Event
Rawkus Record's - Sound Bombing One
Quasimoto - The Unseen
Jaylib (Jay Dilla and Madlib) [Madvillian is dope too]
Prefuse 73
Oh No

So much more and many good suggestions before me, these are just on my playlist at the moment.

Peace

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #36 of 41
Here are some random but good albums I've listening to lately. Just to throw something out there:

Slum Village - Self Titled
One Be Lo - S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M.
AZ - The Format
Hannibal King - Eating Cornbread On The Millenium Falcon
The Roots - How I Got Over
Damu The Fudgemunk - How It Should Sound (Vol.1 + 2)
Pusha T - Hell Hath No Fury
Sloppy White - Fat Tape (search for this on google; it's a free download)

Something else I can recommend is the collected "History of hip hop" mixes from therub.com. The best place to listen to them is here: brooklynradio.net

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #37 of 41
if you like something based more on lyrics and less on beat then lupe fiasco, or nas is the way to go

if you like something that is a bit inbetween beat and lyrics then common or kanye is the way to go. commons older stuff is a lot better, and stay away from 808's because that is not rap. if you look up kanye's good friday tracks they are pretty good

if you like something based on beats then mainstream rappers or rappers on the radio or tv are the way to go.

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #39 of 41
Write down what this guy says.

'They used to make 'em real good, now it's all about trends'

Sad but true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back