hiphop headphones
Feb 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

worksux

Head-Fier
i looked around the forums and all i could find recently are the dr dre beats headphones. i like them but theyre way too expensive. whats the best hiphop/rap headphones for under $150? i prefer noise canceling. however if something is better in the price range please suggest.

thanks

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 19
Active noise cancelling always comes at the expense of sound quality, unfortunately. Passive noise cancelling, however, works pretty well.

You get passive noise cancelling from "closed" headphones, and from In-Ear Monitors" (IEMs).

I'm not terribly well-versed in answers for you, but at least I can help you ask the right questions.

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 19
It's a misconception that the Beats are hip-hop headphones. They are really just well balanced and quite good headphones and quite possibly the best of breed for active NR. If you are looking for BASSy headphones, may I suggest you look at the DJ phones from Ultrasone, Denon, Sony, and Audio-Technica.

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 19
I would recommend Sony MDR-7506 (MDR-V6). They isolate pretty well and have a gentle mid-bass emphasis that works really well with hip-hop. They're a bargin on the FS forum (if you can find them).

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 19
i dont want bass heavy phones. i mean i like bass, but those phones that have crazy bass give me headaches after a while lol. but yea im looking for over the head phones. somewhat stylish, so those sonys are way too out of range, lol. but thanks for the suggestion. also how are the gardo sr 80 for hiphop? i know the beats are good, theyre just way too expensive. if i can find them for $150 i would buy them in a heartbeat (pun intended lol)

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 19
Grados are great all arounders but please do consider the fact that they are open air phones so noisy environments would make them more or less useless. They also have a smaller range but what it lacks in range it makes up for in soundstage as well as warmth.

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 19
I had all the same critera to meet as you and I ended at the Beyerdynamic DT770's on ebay for $90 (But I used a coupon)

I'm yet to get an amp, but I had 2 eargasms from them (Pretty new to Hi-Fi, as you can tell). I think I'm going to settle on either a used Pimeta or Total AirHead.

I listen to Hiphop/Rap/Electronic myself actually. Mainly Kanye West and Daft Punk.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 19
yea actually thinking of that i would actually prefer noise-cancellation (college student). i know how this forum feels about bose, but the bose triports. i did test those and they werent that bad. any thoughts?

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 19
Bose Triports could be good for hip hop, but noise cancelling for me doesn't work too well in college environments. You're better with just a circumaural closed headphone. Personally, if you like hip hop, I would just go with the sugestion of the DT770/80 as everyone recommends. They are good with bass, and they only get better when you buy a amp later and whatnot, since you're on Headfi, you will. Might as well buy a headphone you can expand on. Get DT770, an amp that emphasizes on bass, and OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) cables. There goes your super bass experience.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 19
the DT770 is around $200. i want to stay at $150 max. preferablly around $100. but i also read the bose post in the forum and how they sound "artifical". so i guess im back at square one lol. i was reading something about $100 denon's that are good for hiphop. whats that about?

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #12 of 19
I'm not sure about hip hop, but I listen to a little bit. Although not huge in terms of the quantity of bass, the M-Audio Q40 does pretty well. Those are under $150 and you can upgrade the cable later pretty easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back