Hip Hop Is Dead
Nov 4, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you say Hip-Hop is dead in light of Saul Williams' latest release?

Because the people that start these threads haven't listened to Saul, or any good hip hop for that matter.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #32 of 54
People who say HIP HOP is DEAD are people who fail to look for good Rap music.

Oh wait, the OP doesn't even know what the difference is between hip hop and rap. This post was a failure from the second it was posted.

Hip-Hop is dead is for those people who constantly watch BET and MTV and glorifying this never-ending bling-era. True, jewelry and displaying ones riches has been a part of Hip-Hop culture, but today's is just exaggerated. Some of these Rap artists go to the extent of getting fake jewelry and go out to the public and say "this costs $X,XXX,XXX". There's still other elements of hip-hop that's alive and well i.e. Graf, Breaking..etc.

As for Rap music, good music is there, you just have to look for it. Jay-Zs upcoming album is very much anticipated (Roc Boys and I know is what I've been listening to the past few days, thanks for Internet leaks @ 320kbps). Kanye West is garbage? Yes, maybe if you look at his ignorance, but let's look at his music in general. The guy has too much talent in incorporating samples songs from the past. Too much that I don't think anyone can touch him right now whenever it comes to using samples. If you just listen to what he put out as singles such as Gold digger and Goodlife, then you're missing out on a lot. Also, one does not get branded garbage when he's won 2 or more GRAMMY awards . 1 can be said as a fluke, but 2 or more? He must be doing something right.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #33 of 54
Well I'd like to mention that a lot of genres become broader and more diverse as the mainstream turns to crap. This may be good or not, but it certainly is the death of good commercial hip hop. It reached enough people interested in the genre to make those people produce quality material and when that stops then it will truly be dead.

Nov 4, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because the people that start these threads haven't listened to Saul, or any good hip hop for that matter.

You don't know what your talking about.
Compare your "hip-hop" to a real hip-hop.
http://www.myspace.com/saulwilliams
to my cousins
http://www.myspace.com/djdyme1

Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh wait, the OP doesn't even know what the difference is between hip hop and rap. This post was a failure from the second it was posted.

You watch too many movies. Telling me I don't know what is the difference between Hip-Hop and Rap is calling Bill Gates a poor person. Did I say Kanye West suck? Did I mention anything about the mid-west? No. You don't know hip-hop and so as wnewport. You didn't grow up in project like I did. You didn't grow up with the people who lived by it. You still don't get the point and you fail to get the point. HIP-HOP IS DEAD. No matter how good other unknown MCs are. They are not well known so how do you think they are rescuing it? Maybe you listen to it but not us as a whole which the one that counts. Mainstream is where we judge everything. Know the difference between hip-hop and alternative hip-hop. Saul is not HIP-HOP. Whoever thinks he is don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #35 of 54
"Now for all of you Greek Tragedy fans I am not bashing Greek Tragedy because I am a really heavy Greek Tragedy/The Odyssey lover. Anyways I am just here to say it's officially dead for me." --- William Shakespeare

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

You didn't grow up in project like I did. You didn't grow up with the people who lived by it.

You cannot incorporate unrelated facts to the discussion. You're too emotional to be on the internet. Ms. Cleo is that you? I thought so.

Quote:

HIP-HOP IS DEAD. No matter how good other unknown MCs are.

MCing is a big part of it, but...we're talking "Hip-Hop" here, not Rap music

Quote:

Did I say Kanye West suck? Did I mention anything about the mid-west? No.

The other dude said it. Not you. As I said, you're too emotional to be on the internet. I read posts, not a post only

Quote:

Mainstream is where we judge everything

Maybe you do since you pointed out "No matter how good other unknown MCs are".

We can all argue about "hip-hop" is dead for days, but it's like arguing about the "chicken or the egg". Hip-Hop is there for those who seek it, not people who wait for it to come. I got love for NAS and all (I look at him as one of the best lyricist , if not the best of all time), but I disagreed when he said that. You and I both know the man contradicted himself way too many times in his career.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #37 of 54
In order for this thread (which I find very interesting) to go on in a civilized manner, is for people to stop saying things like "you don't know what you're talking about" or "you don't know the difference..." or "peoples music taste is just crap".
These are slanderous remarks to people who are stating their opinion.
Now if people don't mind theses comments being tossed at them, then it's OK. But if someone feels they are being attacked then it is not.
Opinions are just that, opinions. No reason to throw personal slings and arrows at someone.
Now if you say that someone is wrong and shows links to prove your beliefs like oicdn did, then at least there's merit in it because someone is gathering proof, rather than just saying "you're a moron".

And by the way...X2 and QFT aren't really post worthy and don't offer much value to the thread.
But what do I know, mods are just "The Man"
biggrin.gif
, right?

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #38 of 54
While this thread doesn't necessarily seem like it's going to go anywhere as the OP is pretty much stuck on his stance, I would have to say that by following his logic just about every "genre" is dead. I think I know where people who argue that is coming from, but at the same time sometimes you have to accept the fact that music is an ever-changing form and the best music isn't always going to be popular. What more folks need to do though is support the unknown guys that are trying their best to keep it alive rather than just giving up and saying "Hip-Hop is dead" or "Rock is dead" or "Punk is dead," etc. etc. Just my two cents though.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're too emotional to be on the internet.

RIGHT. And how old are you?

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RIGHT. And how old are you?

Sling and arrow!

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aesop Rock and the Def Jux bunch would beg to differ, sir.

aesop_web_picture.jpg

Ahh, I love Aes. Your post made me laugh.

I'm done arguing. To all of you "hip hop is dead" believers, you're right the genres dead. Turn on your tv and let MTV spoon feed you another genre (I think indie rock is in the works), wait a few days, months, years, and create another "_________ is dead" thread.

Audio-Fi, I don't understand your post. I know my hip hop pretty well. My tastes may differ from your tastes; however, they are quite developed. Plus I my post count trumps your post count. This makes anything I say more valid.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh, I love Aes. Your post made me laugh.

I'm done arguing. To all of you "hip hop is dead" believers, you're right the genres dead. Turn on your tv and let MTV spoon feed you another genre (I think indie rock is in the works), wait a few days, months, years, and create another "_________ is dead" thread.

Audio-Fi, I don't understand your post. I know my hip hop pretty well. My tastes may differ from your tastes; however, they are quite developed. Plus I my post count trumps your post count. This makes anything I say more valid.
very_evil_smiley.gif

excellent follow up post. Hip Hop is not dead, but like most other genres of music, sometimes you have to get a shovel and do some digging. Being lazy has never gotten me very far, and MTV/VH1/Mainstream Radio is the lazy man's music source.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #44 of 54
Saying hiphop is dead is like calling Funk, Jazz and sould dead...hiphop actually encompasses those genres if you wanna REALLY get down to it.

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #45 of 54
man, so glad someone posted stuff about definitive jux. aesop rock, el-p/company flow, cannibal ox, them and so many others are some of my favorite lyricists. also you can't forget about the dj's that are keeping it alive, dj vadim, dj krush, dj shadow, and then there are the turntablists, beat junkies, scratch pickles, kentaro, d-styles.. i can go on and on, but the many forms of hiphop are alive and well; like others have said, unfortunately its too easy for some dude to ramble on about crap (i.e. soulja boy, and all the other worthless "rappers"), and get paid for it, because record execs see green in their eyes when all the kids from the hood (and the burbs) flock to that crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back