aceyalone + RJD2 - magnificent city
phat kat - carte blanche
blackalicious - the craft
brother ali - shadows on the sun
masta ace - a long hot summer

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiesty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been listenin to a lot of different stuff lately, but I wanna get back into Hip-Hop.
Some of the stuff I'm feelin now is:

K'Naan - The Dusty Foot Philosopher
Asamov - And Now
K-OS - Joyful Rebellion

Some favorite artists:

Gangstarr
Blackstar
Common
The Roots
MF Doom

Open to any suggestions old or new.

Was in the same place as you about 6 mos. ago.
Forgive me I give recs you have already received here; I have no patience to go through this whole thread.

DEFINITELY buy these:

EL-P-Fantastic Damage
Cannibal Ox-The Cold Vein
Aesop Rock-Labor Days

truth is, buy anything off the Definitive Jux label.

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #33 of 33
I dunno what your "definition" of hip hop is, but here are some of my recommendations that I've came across as putting live back into my hip hop from the typical usuals of mine like Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang, Roots, your typical breakbeats and remixed Jazz, etc..

Lyrically/Rap wise:

Akinyele
Arrested Development
Dr. Octagon
The BeatNuts
Joe Budden

Actually the last one I've recently rediscovered him. I thought he was a one hit wonder with "Pump It Up", and never paid much attention to him, but a buddy had a mix CD and said "listen to this". I was pretty shocked cause he's damn good. Listen to "3 Sides to a Story" and "Roll Call" and some of his other stuff on Mood Muzik 2, it's SICK. He calls out A LOT of people, talking about how hip hop is dead, shiny mouthes, how people thought he fell off, was a one hit wonder, etc. He has no hook, it's just straight rhymin...he's recently been on my play list quite a lot lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back