Hip-Hop and Rap Fans!
Oct 14, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #196 of 448
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but check out everything by Saul Williams. He does a sort of mix between hip-hop, slam poetry, rap, and grunge that's awesomely fun and really deep. Try "Amethyst Rock Star" for a poemy feel, "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust!" for a very hip-hop/grunge feel, and "Saul Williams" for something in between.

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #197 of 448
thanks ezzie. sounds like i will love the livewires when i get them. most of my headphones are very bass shy so the loudest bass i get is from my hd650. it widens the soundstage too much for hip hop though. at least for my liking. right now i am liking hip hop out of my pk1 and re1 but i am hoping to step up to customs. thanks for making the choice easier for me. everything i have read seems to suggest the livewires as a great well rounder that can handle most any genre.

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #198 of 448
Quote:

everything i have read seems to suggest the livewires as a great well rounder that can handle most any genre.

that is absolutely true. Handles hip-hop great, jazz, blues...everything. :-D

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #199 of 448
i've been listening to endtroducing and liquid swords a lot lately. freaking brilliant albums. according to wikipedia endtroducing was the first album to be completely comprised of samples. i didn't know that before looking the album up for background info.

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #200 of 448
I forgot about...

Devin the Dude - Landing Gear
Jake One - White Van Music

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Muhsina is amazing. Really cool sound! All you hip hop heads would love this girl's beats. She does most of the production herself I believe.

I'm diggin her. It's nice to hear something different. That's why I've got Muhsinah, Janelle Monae and J Davey in rotation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
foreign exchange's connected is also a good album. not great but still a good listen. nicolay does nice beats.

Connected is more hip hop. I don't know what I was expecting with the new one as I hadn't really read much about it but I guess I didn't expect all that singing about love & relationships. lol!

I see you're from KY. Did you see that mixtape floating about the net called KYLIENS featuring Lexington rappers over Outkast ATLiens intrumentals? Don't know if you follow the KY scene or how it was received.

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #201 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakankles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot about...

Devin the Dues - Landing Gear
Jake One - White Van Music

I'm diggin her. It's nice to hear something different. That's why I've got Muhsinah, Janelle Monae and J Davey in rotation.

Don't know of Janelle Monae but I will look her up if you have her along Muhsina and J Davey!

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #202 of 448
PLEASE listen to these albums.

Nia by Blackalicious
Blazing Arrow by Blackalicious

I like Nia a lot more, but I think generally people consider Blazing Arrow slightly better? I don't really know. It's just incredibly how fresh this stuff is compared to other hip-hop that's around.

Other stuff to check out if you haven't.
Aesop Rock (not a fan of him, but I do respect him)
Talib Kweli (good lyrics, bad flow)
Tupac (haha you must've tried him already though)
Buck 65 (I only have his album Square, and I only like Square One from that album, but damn that song is great)

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #203 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know of Janelle Monae but I will look her up if you have her along Muhsina and J Davey!

These three don't have the same sound but they all kinda fall into that alternative hip hop/r&b category. Res is another one that comes to mind. I know these artists say don't like to be put in a box but it is what it is.
regular_smile .gif

I guess I'd say J Davey is soul and electronica and punk/rock all mixed together.
Janelle Monae has that punk rock edge with more soul.

It's not easy to describe so you'll see what I mean when you listen.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #205 of 448
Its been a minute. Anyone listen to Jake One's: White Van Music or Statik Selektah: Stick 2 the Script? Bomb ass producers with hard rappers. I've been spinning these two non-stop.

Don't Sleep.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #206 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its been a minute. Anyone listen to Jake One's: White Van Music or Statik Selektah: Stick 2 the Script? Bomb ass producers with hard rappers. I've been spinning these two non-stop.

Don't Sleep.

Just started listening to that Statik Selektah.
Sounds nice so far.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #207 of 448
Finally someone has started a thread that isn't just to bash hip-hop and rap. I agree with a lot of what has been said on this thread. I guess I will just list some of my favorites for now:

Blackalicious (Performed at my college. Great show.)
Foreign Beggars
The Streets (Original Pirate Material is an amazing album.)
Lupe Fiasco (Gotta love Lupe. I have seen him live twice and he puts on one of the most energetic and fun shows I have ever been to.)
Kanye West (Just something incredibly catchy about Mr. West. Must be the beats.)
Dr. Dre (Only really listened to The Chronic.)
N.W.A.
Snoop Dogg (Doggystyle is an incredible album.)
N.E.R.D.
Jay-Z
NaS (Illmatic just might be my favorite album right now.)
Beastie Boys
Black Star
El Pus (Not straight Hip-Hop/Rap but great band. Too bad they broke up after one album.)
Lil' Wayne
Clipse
Ice Cube
Blueprint
Soul Position (Blueprint and RJD2. How can you go wrong!)

Also I saw that no one has mentioned P.O.S. He is a rapper out of Minnesota and I love the guy. Check him out.

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #208 of 448
The only person for me that can actually do a proper rap is Eminem and Nas as far as mainstream. West Coast falls between Rap and Hip-Hop. East Coast is the same but leaning towards Hip-Hop. South is just plain Hip-Hop. You guys should know the difference between Rap and Hip-Hop. Rap is actual lyrics that contains metaphors and actually makes sense. Hip-Hop is a catchy beats with mindless lyrics with repeated hooks. Hip-Hop is also a culture ie. baggy pants, oversize shirts, ball caps, etc.. I am not a big fan of non mainstream or alternative Rap/Hip-Hop but rarely I've heard someone good, some are OK. This is because I am used to work with mainstream music.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #209 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys should know the difference between Rap and Hip-Hop. Rap is actual lyrics that contains metaphors and actually makes sense. Hip-Hop is a catchy beats with mindless lyrics with repeated hooks.

Id sincerely like to know where you got this from. Your explanation looks very subjective to me. To you what artist is rap and which one hip-hop?

Since listening to KRS-ONE ive never looked at these definitions differently again. Rap is the music, hiphop is the culture. It has nothing to do with this type of flow or that type of beat. I look at it in terms of good or bad because its all rap. It may just be my messed up interpretation. Opinions?

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #210 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only person for me that can actually do a proper rap is Eminem and Nas as far as mainstream. West Coast falls between Rap and Hip-Hop. East Coast is the same but leaning towards Hip-Hop. South is just plain Hip-Hop. You guys should know the difference between Rap and Hip-Hop. Rap is actual lyrics that contains metaphors and actually makes sense. Hip-Hop is a catchy beats with mindless lyrics with repeated hooks. Hip-Hop is also a culture ie. baggy pants, oversize shirts, ball caps, etc.. I am not a big fan of non mainstream or alternative Rap/Hip-Hop but rarely I've heard someone good, some are OK. This is because I am used to work with mainstream music.

For the people who actually try and draw two different genres of music, Hip-Hop and rap, your definition is actually backwards from the norm. People who do that usually say rap is the one with the catchy beats and mindless lyrics, and Hip-Hop is the one that is supposedly in keeping with creativity and so on.

I personally do not by into this separation of 2 genres of music, I view it like moriez, Hip-Hop is the culture, rap is the music. I do sometimes say Hip-Hop music when talking about it, but I mean the same thing as saying rap music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back