Hip-Hop and Rap Fans!
Oct 17, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #211 of 448
for me rap is just such a played out term. i just consider it all hip hop and go about my business. it's all semantics to me. doesn't get anyone anywhere in the long run. good music is good music.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #212 of 448
Rap (Rapping) is a genre of poetry with rhythmic rhymes that contains thoughts, imagery, metaphors, simile, etc.

Hip-Hop is a culture and sometimes categorized "ghetto" by a lot of people. It's about wearing jewelry, baggy clothes, etc.

Hip-Hop music is something that derived from the Hip-Hop culture.

While Rap still falls under the category of Hip-Hop because it's associated with the culture, Rap is something like a skill.

Nas easily is one of the greatest rapper today with his complex lyrics as opposed to someone like Lil' Wayne or Soulja Boy who cannot actually pull the same lyrics unless you count as "superman that hoe, now watch me youaaauaua" or " shawty wanna thug, bottles in a club". Anyone can pull the same non sensing lyrics like that. Nas however goes something like "But on a positive side, I think Obama provides
Hope - and challenges minds
Of all races and colors to erase the hate
And try and love one another, so many political snakes
We in need of a break, I'm thinkin' I can trust this brotha
But will he keep it way real?
Every innocent n*gga in jail - gets out on appeal
When he wins - will he really care still?
I feel
"
Rap is a skill that not any Hip-Hop artist can do. I'll pay $1,000 if Lil' Wayne drop that kind of lyrics without a ghost writer. Now I didn't come up on this my own. A lot of the mainstream hip-hop artist I work with agrees with this (Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, Rev. Run, Nas, etc.). I am not saying I am not enjoying something from Lil' Wayne, I am just saying there is a difference between those. I hate it when people say rap is crap while it's not even a rap to begin with. Right now I say I can recruit person outside of Los Angeles that can spit random rhyming senseless lyrics and overlay it with a catchy beat, let the studio pay for radio play for 4 months and I guarantee you that that song will hit in the Top 20's in Billboard.

Oct 18, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #213 of 448
I've been getting into some J-Dilla, A Tribe Called Quest, and Slum Village, ooooooooooh so nice. This stuff is true hip hop.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #215 of 448
Audio-Fi, I think you're a little confused.

Hip-hop is a culture; rap is hip-hop music; hip-hop music is rap.

You see, there's no difference. They are the same thing.

There is no such thing as "real rap" and "fake rap." There's just rap. And hip-hop. They're the same thing!

Rap from both coasts and everywhere inbetween is just rap. Rap is the music of hip-hop culture. Hip-hop culture:

It started in the early 70s in the South Bronx. Clive Campbell AKA DJ Kool Herc held parties in his residence at 1520 Sedgwick Avenue. He looped funk & disco records. People danced. He was from Jamaica. In Jamaica, lots of music uses toasting. Rhymed toasting was introduced -- rapping! People started toasting over aforesaid looped records. This style of music started spreading around the suburbs of New York. Others like Grand Wizard Theodore and Afrika Bambaataa started hosting their own parties. Add street art (graffiti) to DJing, rapping and breakdancing and you have hip-hop culture.

All of the rhymes were really simple. Simple like Soulja Boy.

Guys like KRS-One, Rakim, Kool G Rap and Chuck D increased the "depth" of lyricism in hip-hop starting around 1987. Guys like Ice Cube and Nas that came later were no more complex.

Nas and Soulja Boy are both rap music, dude. Just of a different stripe. Nas' style is rooted in the more "deep" lyricism of "The Message" (ca. 1982) and the four aforesaid dudes. Soulja Boy's music is about partying and having fun, like original rap music.

For some reason people get confused and think that Souja Boy is "fake hip-hop" who is killing rap music.

The notion of "fake hip-hop" makes me chuckle. Yo, dogg, one time I was listening to this dope **** with the funky bass and uncut drums then the music stopped and the MC was all "JUST KIDDING WE'RE ACTUALLY A BLACK METAL BAND FOOLED YOU" and that nigga start tremolo picking and unleashing spiel about the frostbitten highlands of Hardangervidda. **** a fake hip-hop!!

Oct 19, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #217 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record, Soulja Boy gives me a headache.

lol! I can't deal w/his music either.
I think he has a youtube instructional for new dance if you want to learn it.
It's probably old for all I know. I cant keep up w/all that stuff.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #218 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rap (Rapping) is a genre of poetry with rhythmic rhymes that contains thoughts, imagery, metaphors, simile, etc.

Hip-Hop is a culture and sometimes categorized "ghetto" by a lot of people. It's about wearing jewelry, baggy clothes, etc.

Hip-Hop music is something that derived from the Hip-Hop culture.

While Rap still falls under the category of Hip-Hop because it's associated with the culture, Rap is something like a skill.

Nas easily is one of the greatest rapper today with his complex lyrics as opposed to someone like Lil' Wayne or Soulja Boy who cannot actually pull the same lyrics unless you count as "superman that hoe, now watch me youaaauaua" or " shawty wanna thug, bottles in a club". Anyone can pull the same non sensing lyrics like that. Nas however goes something like "But on a positive side, I think Obama provides
Hope - and challenges minds
Of all races and colors to erase the hate
And try and love one another, so many political snakes
We in need of a break, I'm thinkin' I can trust this brotha
But will he keep it way real?
Every innocent n*gga in jail - gets out on appeal
When he wins - will he really care still?
I feel
"
Rap is a skill that not any Hip-Hop artist can do. I'll pay $1,000 if Lil' Wayne drop that kind of lyrics without a ghost writer. Now I didn't come up on this my own. A lot of the mainstream hip-hop artist I work with agrees with this (Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, Rev. Run, Nas, etc.). I am not saying I am not enjoying something from Lil' Wayne, I am just saying there is a difference between those. I hate it when people say rap is crap while it's not even a rap to begin with. Right now I say I can recruit person outside of Los Angeles that can spit random rhyming senseless lyrics and overlay it with a catchy beat, let the studio pay for radio play for 4 months and I guarantee you that that song will hit in the Top 20's in Billboard.

Wow buddy "Rap is something you do, Hip Hop is something you Live" KRS-One, so lets stop that convo now.

Now im not gonna waste my time finding lyrics, but Lil Wayne is much better than you think and he doesnt have a ghost writer hell we doesnt even write. But really song like Don't Shoot Me Down, 3 Peat, Dr. Carter are amazing songs off his album, plus another 30 plus that he just released on mixtapes. No other rapper has ever put out so much free music in thier career, and still make more than most other rappers. Maybe 50 might be close but Wayne i think has put out more music, 50 just really made the mixtape game take off.

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #219 of 448
I'm listening to Black Milk - Tronic right now.
The Detroit MC always has crazy/different beats.

It's good to my ears.
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #221 of 448
anyone check out that album produced by MF DOOM???

Who is this man? - John Robinson

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #224 of 448
Sorry about jumping in without reading all of the thread, but if these artists haven't been posted yet check them out:

Fort Minor: My favourite hip-hop group, Led by Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park, he's a pretty good artist (graphic) too.
Fort Minor / The Rising Tied / In Stores Now
YouTube - Fort Minor:Red To Black live on 7th Avenue Drop

Flobots: Something different, very politcal, really awesome group.
Flobots : News
YouTube - Flobots - Handlebars

Freeway: Good tunes from this guy, signed under Jay-Z's Roc-A-Fella imprint. Check out Lights Get Low feat. Rick Ross and Walk Wit Me feat. Busta Rhymes and Jadakiss

And now some that don't start with F
tongue.gif

Hilltop Hoods: An Australian group, since most of you guys don't live down here you probably haven't heard of them, but they are pretty popular. {HILLTOP HOODS}
YouTube - Roll On Up

Scribe: A New Zealand rapper, not sure what he's up to now but he had some hits a few years ago.... At least in Australia he did
redface.gif

YouTube - Scribe - Say It Again ft. Tyra Hammond

That's all for now.
This thread took my Head-Fi post virginity
tongue.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #225 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helix-624 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about jumping in without reading all of the thread, but if these artists haven't been posted yet check them out:

Fort Minor: My favourite hip-hop group, Led by Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park, he's a pretty good artist (graphic) too.

If you like Fort Minor check out Styles Of Beyond they IMO are what make Fort Minor so hot. They have 2 or 3 CD's They were around then broke up. Mike got them back together for the Fort Minor then they made another CD and "are working" on a new one. Also Mike/Styles ran with Apathy,Celph Titled, Esoteric and other cats like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back