Highflyin9 must be masochistic...
Jan 19, 2005 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bg4533

Headphoneus Supremus
I just spent over an hour Litz braiding a cable for HD650s. 4 runs of Teflon covered silver plated copper at about 12ft each. It was the most tedious thing I have done in as long as I can remember and all I have done is the braiding so far. I don't know how Highflying9 can make so many cables.

Once I figured out what I was doing the braiding was actually pretty easy. If you keep the cables in the right orientation the easy way to think about it is:
Right most cable over 1 cable
Left most cable over 2 cables
Right over 1
Left over 2
Right over 1
Left over 2
do that about 10000 times

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 19
Lol, welcome to team Litz!
biggrin.gif
the most annoying thing is when the cable gets a snag and won't go through the braid, but that usually doesn't happen too often. Best thing you can do for yourself is very quickly drink a couple cold ones before you start and get some music going, it'll make a process a lot more tolerable.

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
Best thing you can do for yourself is very quickly drink a couple cold ones before you start and get some music going, it'll make a process a lot more tolerable.

Cold ones? Thats no good.

Drink 2 pots of coffee and take a couple diet pills. Youll knock the whole cable out in 45 seconds tops.

[size=xx-small]disclaimer: dont actually do this[/size]

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 19
About three years ago, I braided two 20 foot runs of speaker cable that way. The tips of my fingers dried out and the skin split! Never again. No way. Never, ever.

The cable works great, but every time I see it, my fingers start shaking...

-Drew

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 19
hehehe its not too bad. i decided to teach myself how. and i worked out the best way is to set your vice up on the coffee table and braid whilst watching tv.

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 19
I braided a set of speaker cables once for a fellow Head-fi member. I've sworn never to do it again unless I'm paid at least $100 an hour. When I made my latest set of headphone cables, I just thought "screw it, no more braiding" and bought myself some pre-twisted wire in the form of network cables.

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 19
Speaking of braiding, have anyone tried kimber speaker cables for phones ? Or is this ground shield over signal wire really necessary ? Thanks.

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 19
I tried doing a square braid a.k.a. scoubidiou, it was far more trouble than it's worth, not to mention nearly impossible to make sure you use equal lengths for all wires.

Scoubidou_Braid_01.jpg

Not to mention the horrible horrible horrible blisters I got......
-Ed

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
How long is it now after the braiding?

The cable ? or the finger ?
icon10.gif

Ed, was that for speakers or phones
eek.gif
? why 5 wires ? Thanks.

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 19
* stabs in the dark *

Powercord ???? The green cord looks like earth.

Jan 20, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 19
I hate braiding Litz. Not only is it tedious, I can't get it even enough, unless I go reeally slow. And when I'm going reeeally sloooww.w.....w........ ugh.

Most importantly, I feel like a little middle school girl making friendship bracelets or something when sitting in my room doing Litz.
tongue.gif
Maybe that's not such a bad feeling though.

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Here is a picture of my braid so far:

Click on the picture to see it bigger.

Looks good BG... now do ten more!!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
WOah. That looks painful.
How long is it now after the braiding?
-Ed