Highest Quality Mp3 Lame Settings
Nov 12, 2006 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

TzeYang

500+ Head-Fier
Regardless of file size, what's the craziest settings to encode the best quality Mp3 using lame?

You see, i'm using the NW-A1000 and it does not support lossless. So i think i'll just go for the best mp3 quality until i get my hands on Cowon's A2.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 12, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 38
I am pretty sure -V0 would be your best option: Code:

Code:
[left]lame -V0[/left]

Or the insane 320Kbps CBR: Code:

Code:
[left]lame --preset insane[/left]

Nov 12, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 38
Regardless of file size its undoutedly 320kb/s.

V0 is regarding file size.

Nov 12, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 38
Fixed 320kB/s is no guarantee that LAME will use maximum iteration noise shaping algorythm. The default is 3 or 5 AFAIR. One have to set -q0 switch for that.

According to one of the creators of LAME (I lost the link), for 3.97b2 best quality settings are

-V0 --vbr-new -b128 --lowpass 19.7 -q0

Not sure on that, but AFAIR -b128 negates "stripping" of overtones and lowpass keeps artefacts like pre-ringing from appearing in certain situations. Of cource, those were responses on specially generated test signals, and it's all but impossible to face those problems in real situation.

I have never been able to hear a diffrence b/w those settings and RedBook, and the best setup on which I tried that comparison was "top of the world" Krell DAC->SP ES-1->Orpehus. If you can find anyone who can make 9/10 - 8/10 correct ABs with any music on any equipment, please report

Nov 12, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Regardless of file size its undoutedly 320kb/s.
V0 is regarding file size.

technically I imagine this to be correct, but my ears tell my that the V0 encoding actually sounds better than 320
perhaps something tailored into the presets? (much like what Xakepa is saying)

Nov 12, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
technically I imagine this to be correct, but my ears tell my that the V0 encoding actually sounds better than 320
perhaps something tailored into the presets? (much like what Xakepa is saying)

Did no one read the OP?

Regardless of file size

V0 is not better than 320kbps in any strange world.

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Did no one read the OP?

Regardless of file size

Excuse me, but yes I did read the OP.
When I said to my ears -V0 sounds better than 320 I am not considering size but quality.

Simply because 320 is a higher number than those created by V0 is not a true indicator of sound quality as "more is better" does not always hold true. Perhaps the psychoacoustics tailored into the VBR algorythms has something to do with it.

Quote:

I personally have found (in my strange world)
biggrin.gif

the VBR setting to sound better (have better quality) than CBR-320 to my ears, and IMHO V0 is the best audio quality for mp3, "regardless of file size".

so question what I say if you disagree or do not understand, but Please do not use my post as an example of ignorance. I did read the OP and did respond directly to what was asked. thanks
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 38
Is there a bitrate limit for .mp3 -format data in NW-A1000 (their own data compression format (Atrac3plus) seems to be limited into 256kbps)?

If not then, maybe --freeformat -b 640 w/ some additional switches.

(I have an old DVD-player here which can play 'any' mp3 data (I have tried this w/ some >500kbps mp3 audio) but the output quality is max 320kbps).

jiitee

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 38
'More is better' is completely true for bitrate.

Its not even opinion. Whether its 'noticeably' better is another matter, but the OP did mention crazy and 320CBR used to be called API, insane is another word for crazy.

Nov 13, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #12 of 38
thanks, i didnt expect to have so much warm and helpful replies.

Anyway, i'm going to try this

-b 320 --noath

Jiteepee, thanks for your freeformat suggestion, i will try it later.

Thank you All!!

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #13 of 38
By the time you hit 320, is there really any reason not to just go lossless instead, apart possibly from having an old player that won't support it?

ps, I support nicecans on the dispute above. Various lossy files are lossy in different ways, and the information that remains can be quite different. You can hear the difference between an mp3, a wma, an aac, etc., when they are recorded at the same bitrate, so why should we assume that bitrate is the only absolute qualitative difference? Not that it particularly matters with such big files, where it's very difficult to demonstrate that anyone can reliably tell the difference in a blind test.

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 38
Oh god, there are a bunch of morons in this thread.

The OP asked what the highest quality mp3 lame setting was;

REGARDLESS OF FILE SIZE

Lame-chart-2.png

Perhaps my eyes are decieving me, but that pink line represents quality and the two highest squares represent V0 & 320kb/s.
Again I may be being blind but it looks to me like the 320kb/s is higher than the V0 one!
eek.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
By the time you hit 320, is there really any reason not to just go lossless instead, apart possibly from having an old player that won't support it?

there is, high frequencies are distorted when using mp3, I had encountered a site which had test sounds to proof this but I lost the link in a format, I'll post it if I can find it again.

I use OGG vorbis, it's open source and the high frequencies are less distorted and the bass compression is better.

The file size is slightly higher then with mp3 but it's not much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back