Highest of the highest end suggestions with no budget limit
Jul 20, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #17 of 34
Good evening gents. I've come as far as I can come in the headphone game. I currently own:

Audeze LCD4
Audeze LCD4Z
Abyss Diana Phi
Focal Utopia
Meze Empyrean
Sennheiser HD800S

Currently using Chord Hugo TT2 with M scaler

I've tried:

Yggdrasil (analog 2)/Ragnarok
Mytek Manhattan 2 DAC/amp
Adi DAC/amp
Jotunheim

I feel like I've tried most of the usual suspects but I have a great 2 channel speaker system and I would love to get the same or similar sound from cans. I'm looking at super high end DACs and amps but I feel like I'm wasting time/money chasing the unobtainable.

The Chord Hugo TT2 and M scaler sound good for some things but entirely too analytical for others. My 2 channel system consists of a NAD M12 DAC/Pre-amp and a Balanced Audio Technologies VK3000SE hybrid tube amp with Golden Ear sub, KEF Reference 900s and great speaker cables, power cables, room treatments, power isolation, and interconnects. Each of which have yielded substantial improvements in sound quality and presentation.

Lately I have been searching for a DAC + standalone amp or DAC/amp to improve on the Hugo TT2 and M Scaler combo. I'm looking at the Pro-ject RS2 DAC, a Primaluna evo 400 tube amp with headphone output (entirely overkill for headphones only but supposedly the best and as I said, cost is no object. Also looking at Aurender music streamers with DAC, Teac DAC/amps (lower end Esoteric - cost is no object but 15k vs 2k and no point wasting money when even Esoteric guys are going with the Teac with external clock), etc etc. Please help with suggestions for my end game.

My focus is primarily on acoustic guitars and female vocals. I need sweet sweet mids, fantastic imaging and soundstage but without the super analytical I can hear every squeak of the sustain pedal on the Steinway concert grand piano presentation of the Chord setup I have now. I realize this post may sound ridiculous but I'm just looking for some help uncovering some stones I may have overlooked. I just discovered the HA500S from Cocktail Audio which is a DAC/amp with tubes and solid state mode. Probably not on the radar of most people but it's a compelling option!

Thanks in advance!
So there's obviously ALWAYS going to be a lot of bias in recommendations at the higher end of things. Dealers etc have too much margin to be at stake, and those who own them have spent enormous amounts of money and so are not going to readily admit the shortcomings of their purchase.

Personally, my recommendations would be as follows, and for context, I'm a reviewer with no relationship with any of the companies mentioned and most of the stuff I've tried was actually from friends anyway.

DACs:
The TT2/MScaler combo is imo quite good but you're paying a lot for the form factor and there are definitely better options.
My personal favourite DAC to date is the Holo May (about $5k), but with the caveat that you kinda need HQPlayer to complete the system. If you're not wanting to use HQPlayer, then I'd go for the Rockna Wavedream Signature Balanced (About $20k).

Those are to date the two best DACs I've tried. The May with HQP is slightly better than the wavedream imo, but without HQP it's entirely dependent on whether you like NOS or not, so it's a bit situational. Could optionally keep the MScaler though instead. May + MScaler was excellent. Much more convenient than HQP but not quite as good in terms of SQ.

The May handles timbre of vocals and instruments better though so I think it'd fit your preferences for guitar etc better. You also might quite like NOS actually by the sounds of it.

Amplifiers:
Amps really are dependent on the cans you're using with them. There is no overall best amp, and with an unlimited budget I'd pick different amps for the 1266 than I would for Susvara, and different amps again for an HD800 etc.
I would say get the Zahl HM1, as it's so far (in the admittedly short time I've spent with it) been the best headphone amp with the headphones I did try on it, but there's only 50 being made this year, all of which are sold out, and I think many of next year's batch are sold out too so it'll be quite hard to get ahold of.

My overall personal favourite listening experience has been the Hifiman Susvara on the Benchmark AHB2 (with a Holo Serene or Goldpoint SA2X preamp).
The most realistic and convincing presentation I've thus far heard in a headphone system short of the Warwick Aperio (which is 30k).
I would REALLY recommend getting a Susvara given the preferences you've described.

1266 is amazing for a lot of genres, and a nice contrasting companion to Susvara. Not 'realistic' or even 'normal' sounding, but super exciting, and sounded the best on the Woo WA33 tube amp. The primaluna EVO 400 is great and I had one in a couple weeks ago, but the WA33 definitely beat it.

Jul 24, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #18 of 34
So there's obviously ALWAYS going to be a lot of bias in recommendations at the higher end of things. Dealers etc have too much margin to be at stake, and those who own them have spent enormous amounts of money and so are not going to readily admit the shortcomings of their purchase.

Personally, my recommendations would be as follows, and for context, I'm a reviewer with no relationship with any of the companies mentioned and most of the stuff I've tried was actually from friends anyway.

DACs:
The TT2/MScaler combo is imo quite good but you're paying a lot for the form factor and there are definitely better options.
My personal favourite DAC to date is the Holo May (about $5k), but with the caveat that you kinda need HQPlayer to complete the system. If you're not wanting to use HQPlayer, then I'd go for the Rockna Wavedream Signature Balanced (About $20k).

Those are to date the two best DACs I've tried. The May with HQP is slightly better than the wavedream imo, but without HQP it's entirely dependent on whether you like NOS or not, so it's a bit situational. Could optionally keep the MScaler though instead. May + MScaler was excellent. Much more convenient than HQP but not quite as good in terms of SQ.

The May handles timbre of vocals and instruments better though so I think it'd fit your preferences for guitar etc better. You also might quite like NOS actually by the sounds of it.

Amplifiers:
Amps really are dependent on the cans you're using with them. There is no overall best amp, and with an unlimited budget I'd pick different amps for the 1266 than I would for Susvara, and different amps again for an HD800 etc.
I would say get the Zahl HM1, as it's so far (in the admittedly short time I've spent with it) been the best headphone amp with the headphones I did try on it, but there's only 50 being made this year, all of which are sold out, and I think many of next year's batch are sold out too so it'll be quite hard to get ahold of.

My overall personal favourite listening experience has been the Hifiman Susvara on the Benchmark AHB2 (with a Holo Serene or Goldpoint SA2X preamp).
The most realistic and convincing presentation I've thus far heard in a headphone system short of the Warwick Aperio (which is 30k).
I would REALLY recommend getting a Susvara given the preferences you've described.

1266 is amazing for a lot of genres, and a nice contrasting companion to Susvara. Not 'realistic' or even 'normal' sounding, but super exciting, and sounded the best on the Woo WA33 tube amp. The primaluna EVO 400 is great and I had one in a couple weeks ago, but the WA33 definitely beat it.

nice recommendations!
really hoping u get to measure/review the weiss dac501/502 (new 4ch version) in the near future.

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #19 of 34
For an AIO solution: Warwick Acoustics Apeiro
https://warwickacoustics.com/headphones/collection/aperio/

For separates:
HP - Spirit of Torino Valkyria
DAC/Amp - DCS Bartok or DAC - DCS Luna + Clock / Amp - Riviera AIC-10
Love it , Have the Aperio now. Came from Bartok, then Lina Stack……loved them all. Bartok a bit light foe Susvara that’s why I went to the Stack…amp although not a powerhouse drove Susvara. Aperio is really very different as an e-stat. But I will say the more I listen to it and adjust to the “different” I am finding it beyond outstanding, clean and more real sound. Won’t be for everyone who can afford it preference wise. But I am finding it uniquely “pure” sounding. And the AIO is a major plus for me at this point in time (retired with limited space for audio equipment in a living area. Highest end, smallest footprint…….not the usual combo

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #20 of 34
I'm in the no budget limit camp too. I listened to everything at Munich and while I thought MSB sounded really sweet and euphonic, for me, for pure musical engagement, there's nothing better than MScaled Dave (so far). I haven't heard the Holo May though. Wadax was clean and pure but not engrossing. One person's purely subjective views, of course.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #21 of 34
I’ve wasted a tremendous amount of money, trying way too many amps and dac’s. I think Goldenone’s recommendation is very good with a couple of caveats.

I’m my setup, I prefer the less is more approach and prefer not to use a PC and HQ player. So for me I have the Rockna Wavedream Signature and I preferred it to the May (and other dac’s, in my system for the music I listen to with the can’s I own). I will also say, as good as the HM1 is, it doesn’t get loud enough for me on many songs that I listen to with the Susvara (but this is my primary HP). The Woo WA33 Elite is the best amp I’ve tried and owned. I will probably never sell these two components while I continue to waste money trying others just for the hell of it.

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #22 of 34
I'm in the no budget limit camp too. I listened to everything at Munich and while I thought MSB sounded really sweet and euphonic, for me, for pure musical engagement, there's nothing better than MScaled Dave (so far). I haven't heard the Holo May though. Wadax was clean and pure but not engrossing. One person's purely subjective views, of course.
That’s part time the beauty and of this hobby, that our tastes and preferences have a lot to do with what works for us and what doesn’t. I owned the Dave and Mscaler and sold it because I preferred the May at the time. No right or wrong.

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #23 of 34
That’s part time the beauty and of this hobby, that our tastes and preferences have a lot to do with what works for us and what doesn’t. I owned the Dave and Mscaler and sold it because I preferred the May at the time. No right or wrong.
Definitely.

I'm one of those people who hears every tiny little thing, maybe because I'm also a professional studio musician and producer, so I think the Chord stuff works well with me because the grooves are so solid because of the transient placement, and I really respond to that. But I know other people (my brother for one) are happier with a less "in your face" sound than the Chord stuff gives you. He uses a dCS stack (a no doubt pristine sound, but one that doesn't engage me).

So to your point, yes, it's amazing how personal this all is.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #24 of 34
Naim ND555 with dual power supplies, into Blu Dave combo, using all upgrades outlets, dedicated circuits, Niagara 3000 and 5000, chord music cables, upgraded woo wa33 etc. It's the best I have ever heard anything.

I also have a viva egoista 845 on the way for comparison. I'll let you know.

Also going to upgrade the Dave power supply to an external unit. I have read good things.

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #25 of 34
I'd sell everything and get a Sennheiser HE1 and be done with it. Better than spending the same amount on all kind of components that might or might not get you there.

Being short of 60k spare cash myself I'd never sell my ADI 2 DAC because with it's superior EQ it beats every other DAC/Amp in sq hands down. The most transparent and silky smooth and clean sound I ever hear from DAC/amps.

Sep 7, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #26 of 34
I'd sell everything and get a Sennheiser HE1 and be done with it. Better than spending the same amount on all kind of components that might or might not get you there.
I disagree. With a single setup you can't do anything to tweak the sound as your ears and needs change over time. But to each his own. It's why they make both! 😉

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #28 of 34
With no budget limit I would definitely go to some 300B tube amp like Woo Audio WA234-MONO as headphone amp and DCS Vivaldi Apex or MSB Reference as DAC pairing for those. I would also avoid any power conditioning struggle with one of the Stromtank battery array units.

P.S.: LCD-4 for life! :L3000:

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #29 of 34
Cost no objective?

Aurender W20SE (digital player and streamer) with dual AES/EBU ->
Esoteric Grandioso D1X (mono DAC) ->
Gryphon Commander (pre amp) ->
the best amplifier for the headphone of your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back