Highest of the highest end suggestions with no budget limit
Jun 30, 2022 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

2thfixr

100+ Head-Fier
Good evening gents. I've come as far as I can come in the headphone game. I currently own:

Audeze LCD4
Audeze LCD4Z
Abyss Diana Phi
Focal Utopia
Meze Empyrean
Sennheiser HD800S

Currently using Chord Hugo TT2 with M scaler

I've tried:

Yggdrasil (analog 2)/Ragnarok
Mytek Manhattan 2 DAC/amp
Adi DAC/amp
Jotunheim

I feel like I've tried most of the usual suspects but I have a great 2 channel speaker system and I would love to get the same or similar sound from cans. I'm looking at super high end DACs and amps but I feel like I'm wasting time/money chasing the unobtainable.

The Chord Hugo TT2 and M scaler sound good for some things but entirely too analytical for others. My 2 channel system consists of a NAD M12 DAC/Pre-amp and a Balanced Audio Technologies VK3000SE hybrid tube amp with Golden Ear sub, KEF Reference 900s and great speaker cables, power cables, room treatments, power isolation, and interconnects. Each of which have yielded substantial improvements in sound quality and presentation.

Lately I have been searching for a DAC + standalone amp or DAC/amp to improve on the Hugo TT2 and M Scaler combo. I'm looking at the Pro-ject RS2 DAC, a Primaluna evo 400 tube amp with headphone output (entirely overkill for headphones only but supposedly the best and as I said, cost is no object. Also looking at Aurender music streamers with DAC, Teac DAC/amps (lower end Esoteric - cost is no object but 15k vs 2k and no point wasting money when even Esoteric guys are going with the Teac with external clock), etc etc. Please help with suggestions for my end game.

My focus is primarily on acoustic guitars and female vocals. I need sweet sweet mids, fantastic imaging and soundstage but without the super analytical I can hear every squeak of the sustain pedal on the Steinway concert grand piano presentation of the Chord setup I have now. I realize this post may sound ridiculous but I'm just looking for some help uncovering some stones I may have overlooked. I just discovered the HA500S from Cocktail Audio which is a DAC/amp with tubes and solid state mode. Probably not on the radar of most people but it's a compelling option!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 34
My focus is primarily on acoustic guitars and female vocals. I need sweet sweet mids, fantastic imaging and soundstage but without the super analytical I can hear every squeak of the sustain pedal on the Steinway concert grand piano presentation of the Chord setup I have now.
I personally think there's more merit in finding a headphone that actually does this than finding a source to colour your driver with these properties. I've not spent any meaningful time with your planar to form a solid opinion but I've plenty of experiences with the hd800 and utopia to know that these headphones are borderline analytical and places more emphasis resolution than the sweet bloomy mids that you are looking for.

Nevertheless if you are looking to get a source I'd recommend the Rockna Wavedream Signature. There's no lacking in dynamism, tacitility, resolution, stage depth and width and is pretty neutral sounding which is normally what I'd look for in a dac especially the dynamics. No other dacs I've tried exhibits this much dynamism and still retains nuance as well as the Wavedream. There are usually signs of slight loss of texture or smudginess for very dynamic dacs but not on the Rockna. The wavelight is touted as being a touch warmer, smoother and possibly thicker sounding but since I've not heard it I won't comment any further.

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 34
Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 34
Good evening gents. I've come as far as I can come in the headphone game. I currently own:

Audeze LCD4
Audeze LCD4Z
Abyss Diana Phi
Focal Utopia
Meze Empyrean
Sennheiser HD800S

I've tried:

Adi DAC/amp
Jotunheim

I feel like I've tried most of the usual suspects but I have a great 2 channel speaker system and I would love to get the same or similar sound from cans. I'm looking at super high end DACs and amps but I feel like I'm wasting time/money chasing the unobtainable.

The Chord Hugo TT2 and M scaler sound good for some things but entirely too analytical for others. My 2 channel system consists of a NAD M12 DAC/Pre-amp and a Balanced Audio Technologies VK3000SE hybrid tube amp with Golden Ear sub, KEF Reference 900s and great speaker cables, power cables, room treatments, power isolation, and interconnects. Each of which have yielded substantial improvements in sound quality and presentation.

Lately I have been searching for a DAC + standalone amp or DAC/amp to improve on the Hugo TT2 and M Scaler combo. I'm looking at the Pro-ject RS2 DAC, a Primaluna evo 400 tube amp with headphone output (entirely overkill for headphones only but supposedly the best and as I said, cost is no object. Also looking at Aurender music streamers with DAC, Teac DAC/amps (lower end Esoteric - cost is no object but 15k vs 2k and no point wasting money when even Esoteric guys are going with the Teac with external clock), etc etc. Please help with suggestions for my end game.

My focus is primarily on acoustic guitars and female vocals. I need sweet sweet mids, fantastic imaging and soundstage but without the super analytical I can hear every squeak of the sustain pedal on the Steinway concert grand piano presentation of the Chord setup I have now. I realize this post may sound ridiculous but I'm just looking for some help uncovering some stones I may have overlooked. I just discovered the HA500S from Cocktail Audio which is a DAC/amp with tubes and solid state mode. Probably not on the radar of most people but it's a compelling option!

Thanks in advance!
Linn Klimax Organik + Headamp gsx mk2 (cfa 3 if you can get one commissioned)

Also second an earlier vote for Pulsar.

Jul 3, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 34

Audeze LCD4
Audeze LCD4Z
Abyss Diana Phi
Focal Utopia
Meze Empyrean
Sennheiser HD800S

I've tried:

Adi DAC/amp
Jotunheim

Thanks in advance!
Use the existing tt2/m-scaler and get a ZMF atrium (universe lambskin) OR verite closed (auteur hybrids) and that will yield more change than changing the dac/amp for what you are seeking :gs1000smile: The verite opens are also good but need tubes imo.

If Dac is the way to go, go for R2R dac like a holo audio may kte

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #9 of 34
It's not top of the company tree (they have a model above) but the Aqua La Scala DAC is one of the most natural, organic DACs I have ever heard that is as good as vinyl without trying to replicate the former's sound. While it's not cheap you can spend a lot more and I'm not sure how much you'd actually get. Demo one if you can.

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 34
Hifiman Susvara, Feliks Audio Envy, dcs Lina dac or Bartok (Holo May Kitsune- if costs are too high), Aurender N200.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #11 of 34
If you have unlimited cash:
  • dCS Vivaldi
  • Wadax Atlantis Reference
  • MSB Select
  • Esoteric D1X
  • Lampizator Horizon
  • T+A SDV 3100 HV
  • Linn Klimax DSM
If cost is an object, then some high end options are
  • dCS Lina
  • Holo May
  • Denafrips Terminator Plus
  • Luxman D-10X
  • Chord Dave + MScaler
  • Aqua Formula xHD
  • T+A MP 2500 R
  • Mola Mola Tambaqui
To name a few

Jul 10, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 34

Audeze LCD4
Audeze LCD4Z
Abyss Diana Phi
Focal Utopia
Meze Empyrean
Sennheiser HD800S

The Chord Hugo TT2 and M scaler sound good for some things but entirely too analytical for others.
My focus is primarily on acoustic guitars and female vocals. I need sweet sweet mids, fantastic imaging and soundstage but without the super analytical I can hear every squeak of the sustain pedal on the Steinway concert grand piano presentation of the Chord setup I have now.

Thanks in advance!

It is really easy to name you option due to unlimited budget. You need to realise that the higher end the chain, usually lead to more transparent and revealing capability too (music bad recording quality will sound worse).

Do you think TT2 + Mscaller is too analytical for Audeze Headphones and Meze Empyrean? Or only felt that when paired with HD800S and Utopia?

Jul 10, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #13 of 34
If we’re just throwing money around, get a dCS Lina stack. I have some of your headphones and I’d love to hear them out of it. Too rich for my blood though.

my gut and common sense tell me though at these heights ‘upgrading’ is largely over and you’ll just be side stepping different flavors of black boxes.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #15 of 34
Thanks for the suggestions gents, looking into all of them. Picked up a Primaluna Evo 400 with some cryo treated KT150 tubes and NOS Gold Lions for the pre stage, overkill for headphones but had to do it. LOL! Surprised nobody has mentioned the Brinkman DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back