Higher quality music possible out of an iPhone 4 or 4s
Feb 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

magc45

New Head-Fier
I am wondering how to get the highest quality music out of an iPhone without extra equipment. I have only read about 24 bit music, is there a jailbreak program out there that allows for CD quality music for example? Or even a paid program on the app store?

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
I am wondering how to get the highest quality music out of an iPhone without extra equipment. I have only read about 24 bit music, is there a jailbreak program out there that allows for CD quality music for example? Or even a paid program on the app store?

dont' you worry. i've got you covered. and yes. it's this lossless format called ALAC. what a lossless format is it allows for bit by bit perfect copying of data from the first source or medium onto a second. this is done for many reasons. but the compressed lossless format on the iPhone would be the ALAC. it supports full non compresses aiff and wav too but u don't want those. they are just larger files that do nothing but take up space

you can make and rip ALAC,mp3,aac files with itunes already. ask and i can give u directions

so...should u go and convert/encode all ur regular songs into ALAC or anything and get more quality? no don't. it won't increase quality. just make a larger format of the mp3 or AAC you already have.

So what should you do. get or rip CD's! itunes and EAC can do it. i recommend itunes with error checking enabled. a lot easier. once u have "aquired" ur music files. just rip it into itunes. if you get it in .flac you need a program to encode it into alac. dbpoweramp is recommended. since ALAC and FLAC are both lossless. there is no file loss here from encoding

so once it's in ur computer. you could sync it onto ur iphone!...

but. wiat. these files are too big.! i can't fit my apps and stuff now! what shall i do? go to your library. itunes will allow u to encode the files taht you have. i reocmmend you encode the cd ripped ALAC files into 320kbps MP3. be sure to add the name 320 or somethign after the name so you know what it is. 320kbps MP3 ripped from a lossless format or source that you have....is more or less indistinguishable. don't let anyone tell you otherwise. but mind the key word in bold up there. 320kbps that you get online or elsewhere..now that..haha is very very very easy to tell apart from CD ripped lossless encoded files. so from there on. with ur new 320kbps mp3s. just unsync the ALAC's from the iphone and move the new mp3's on. itunes allows you to show bitrate ! i recommend turning on this feature. it will just add a column that tells u the bit rate next to it.

Sometimes i wish this was like OCN...then i could ask for rep..since rep actually counts on that site.. meh whatevers

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Wow great information. Thanks

your welcome. i didn't go into depth too much on why or how to do some of the stuff. but if you need any help. just ask. plz note, if you think of a question and about 2 days is past. plz P.M me instead if you would like to reach me.
some newcomers that come that don't get help think we are full of ourselves here or just aren't helpful. i would like to prevent that from happening at least to a lot of people :D so yes. we are indeed helfpul here at head fi despite what some that get a bad experience from not receivng a good responce or any responce from first thread think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back