Highend Streaming properly done. (Qubuz, Tidal)
Aug 6, 2022 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cortazar

100+ Head-Fier
As I got rid of my cd`s (after ripping them) and no longer poses a cd transport and my about 2000 titles are sometimes to less I am thinking about getting music streamed. Firstly to listen to new things and secondly should I like something to download some (hires) files. What I have found on internet Qubuz seems to be a better option for my purpose.
As I have not found a thread how a high end system to stream should look like and as a newby on this terrain I would like to ask a experienced Audiophiles how to make a high end System to stream Qubuz or Tidal. I have read some posts that one should use a high end USB switch (what is the purpose of this?) or a optical cable to get rid of all the electronic dirt that a router produce?! If so, how/what device should one use for it? Should I use a second router connected wireless to my home router? How important is a good usb cable? What usb switches or optical adapters(?!) do you use? Should it be used between router and streamer? What would be your recommendations for mid priced und money is no object Devices?
I listen do Chord dave connected to antipodes K50 via BNC cable.
I hope for a lively discussion :wink:

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 12
Qobuz on pc. Offline mode(music stored on pc)
A std ok usb cable with shield to DAC

Easy peasy…

Aug 7, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Dangerous waters there. Lots if polarizing opinions available.

I just put my experience briefly here. I clearly hear difference between USB signal from my Mac Mini compared to PI2AES output (SPDIF), feeding either Yggdrasil or TT2. Streamer output is better.

Aug 16, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 12
I use Qobuz in Roon. Roon on a dedicated NUC in a different room connected via ethernet to the router. Steamer connected to the same router, voila. And the rest goes from there.
There are people claiming different software sounds differently. Audirvana vs Roon or Qobuz app vs Roon etc. I have no experience in that but I have doubts. But with this setup you are 99% set.

Aug 16, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 12
My digital chain:

LHY SW-8 network switch -> Innuos Zen Mini Mk3 server (where my CDs are ripped, ROON core) -> Naim NDX network streamer -> Aqua La Scala MkII Optologic DAC

Software: ROON w/Tidal integration

Sounds pretty amazing. CDs still sound the best to me vs Tidal streaming, regardless of bitrate.

Next steps: Add Innuos Zen power supply. Long-term: Replace Naim w/Aqua LIN-Q streaming platform (hopefully this is a big step-up from my Naim).

Aug 18, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #8 of 12
I am interested in knowing more about this too.

I have some really convoluted chains in my setups, with routers, fiber optics, fancy ethernet cables, external clocks etc..

have always wondered if I were to just get rid of it all and get a "high end" streamer like a Grimm MU1, Antipodes, wavedream net, lumin etc would it make much of a difference.

as an example... I had to move my setup out of the study for a while and could not use a hard wire connection to my streamer. ended up resorting to a WiFi dongle into my Sotm streamer.. and for the life of me, I don't think I can hear a difference to my usual setup. Well at least it doesn't sound any worse.

Aug 18, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 12
I just put my experience briefly here. I clearly hear difference between USB signal from my Mac Mini compared to PI2AES output (SPDIF), feeding either Yggdrasil or TT2. Streamer output is better.
How did you get a PI2AES in CR?

Aug 18, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 12
What you need for optimal results depends a bit on your DAC and your particular environment. Personally, I would never purchase a DAC that didn't have internal galvanic isolation on its USB (and network, if applicable) interface. If yours doesn't, it may pay to invest in an external (low cost) device to galvanically isolate said interface. Forget entirely about spending money on reclockers, fancy cables, "audiophile" switches, etc. Both USB and Ethernet are asynchronous protocols, meaning the data arrives at random intervals as requested by the DAC, and is buffered internally, from whence it is fed to the DAC engine using the DAC's internal clock. External clocks are also a bad idea from a technical perspective as the further a signal travels, the less integrity (and more noise) it will have. Note that you'll get galvanic isolation "for free" when using an optical interface, but jitter will typically be higher and max data rates lower than with other interfaces. If your DAC excels at reducing jitter, the first issue probably won't be a concern. If your DAC does internal upsampling well, then the second issue likely won't either. In a well-engineered DAC, none of the interfaces should sound noticeably better than any other.

There is also no need to invest in an expensive server, from a sound quality perspective anyway. Forget all of the marketing nonsense about upgraded components therein over a standard PC. None of it makes any difference in terms of getting the data reliably from local storage or the cloud over to your DAC's internal buffer. Bits truly are bits in this context.

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for your answer Stevko. But my question is "how can I get the best SQ from Qubuz or Tidal", and what devices do I need for it.
If you want to go all out, an ethernet reclocker, muon filter, a dedicated streamer/server, into your dac.

hey man you asked, I answered. sorry if youre going to throw away a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back