High-speed rock?
Jan 26, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #17 of 25
If anyone has the latest issue of Revolver (with a parody of Back to the Future on the cover), check out Airbourne! They're a band out of Australia that is almost exactly what I was looking for. It sounds like a mix between AC/DC, Van Halen, the Last Vegas, Buckcherry and the second album by Slash's Snakepit - just all around fun, all-out rock and roll!

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #18 of 25
Seba

Hard to find good new stuff like Buckcherry, but for Guns n Roses style 1980 sleaze c *ck rock how about:

-LA Guns (first few albums are stellar)
-Faster *****cat (Wake Me When It's Over, Valley of the Dolls, Whipped, Faster *****cat)
-Junkyard (Junkyard)
-Vinnie Vincent (Invasion)
-Vain (No respect)

Also almost anything by WASP (Blackie Lawless rocks \m/)

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #19 of 25
I already have LA Guns (and Hollywood Rose) as well as Junkyard, but I'll have to get the others. Thanks DarkAngel

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already have LA Guns (and Hollywood Rose) as well as Junkyard, but I'll have to get the others. Thanks DarkAngel

I just love first two LA Guns albums (LA Guns + Cocked & Loaded) and you may not agree since you are Slash Jr but I think they can be compared to Appetite for Destruction........they are great and relatively unknown to general public

Also if you don't have any W.A.S.P. you have to correct that right away. People mistakenly group them in with Motely Crue, Poison etc but they are much closer in style to Guns n Roses and rock hard. Older albums are pretty cheap used at Amazon etc any of thier 1980's work is great, some are in 2 for 1 CDs.

31M4PVBW31L.jpg

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #21 of 25
If you like new Wolfmother, Priestess albums which are similar to Queens of the Stone Age rock style or "stoner" check older stuff like:

Monster Magnet (God Says No, Monolithic Baby, Powertrip, Dopes to Infinity)
Atomic Bitchwax (debut)
Nebula (Atomic Ritual, To The Center, Let It Burn, Charged)

Sorry to keep going back in time but very hard to find new music like Buckcherry that captures the "essence" of pure hard rock today. Most stuff is either pop punk, nu metal, emo or some variation. Best to go back to 1980's glory days and buy all the stuff you missed

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like new Wolfmother, Priestess albums which are similar to Queens of the Stone Age rock style or "stoner" check older stuff like:

Monster Magnet (God Says No, Monolithic Baby, Powertrip, Dopes to Infinity)
Atomic Bitchwax (debut)
Nebula (Atomic Ritual, To The Center, Let It Burn, Charged)

Sorry to keep going back in time but very hard to find new music like Buckcherry that captures the "essence" of pure hard rock today. Most stuff is either pop punk, nu metal, emo or some variation. Best to go back to 1980's glory days and buy all the stuff you missed

I definitely agree with you. I've been looking for contemporary bands that capture that raw rock energy, which is why I got so excited about Airbourne - they almost get there - but the 80s are where it's at. I don't know why so many people deride that decade as terrible for music... I mean, there is just so much to find!

BTW, I'm loving WASP and Faster *****cat. I had once seen the debut album for Atomic Bitchwax at HMV and almost bought it sight unseen (or is it unheard? heh) because they have such a cool name. Now with your recommendation, I have to check them out. It's good to know that they're in the same vein as Priestess and Wolfmother, two bands that I really like (Priestess slays it live - they were one of the most fun and energetic bands I've seen yet).

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #24 of 25
Thanks, guys. I was looking for same kind of tunes and I must say I'm really impressed with Airbourne, Nebula and Priestess. They've got that QOTSA sound I was looking for.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #25 of 25
A couple of weeks ago, I went to see Airbourne live (and what a show that was!). The two opening bands were very cool as well. Stonerider is a cross between GN'R, Hendrix-style wah-pedal playing, and glam metal. EndeverafteR is more of a metal band, with ridiculously catchy glam metal choruses and fun, energetic guitar playing. I recommend both of them to anyone that likes bands recommended on this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back