High-speed rock?
Dec 21, 2007 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

sebascrub

500+ Head-Fier
I've been looking for some new music, some high-speed awesome rock
biggrin.gif
. Basically, something like The Last Vegas, Priestess, or if you sped up Slash's playing. I want blistering riffs and energetic vocals, maybe some punk or glam influences, but I don't want it to bleed into the metal genre, even though that's a nebulous and often arbitrary divide. So, any hard, fast rock, without being ridiculous, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 25
Have 'em... in fact, I have a lot of power metal. It has to stay within the rock realm

Dec 21, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 25
Try Bullet for My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire - EP

Might be to alt for you..If so you can always do Dio, Judas Priest
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 25
Ah, monsieur Seba... you haven't checked out Tricky Woo yet? You live in Montreal!

Their releases go something like this (haven't been able to track down their debut):

The Enemy is Real:
Mid-90s garage revival. Hard, fast and fun.
Sometimes I Cry: Their masterpiece. Psychedelic, 60s inspired garage. The best 26 minutes of your life.
Les Sables Magiques: 70s inspired psychedelic blues. Things slowed down considerably here, with WAY longer tracks. A fantastic album, if a bit of a curiosity in their catalogue.
First Blush: 80s inspired hair rock. Wailing riffage and back up to speed.

Sometimes I Cry and First Blush would obviously fit the bill the best here, though look for a new album (in the works).

You may also like The Illuminati (Toronto), a Heavy-Blues outfit with an amazing guitarist and probably Toronto's best bassist (from a strict rock-rhythm perspective). Try their first full-length "On Borrowed Time". Also from Toronto, White Cowbell Oklahoma comes highly recommended if you can tolerate raunchy, heavy, southern-fried freakouts. Look for "Cencerro Blanco" or "Casa Diablo". The title track from Cencerro Blanco is an excuse for a big 3 minute solo. Finally (and from Toronto), C'mon has some great stuff. From Ian Blurton (of Change of Heart "fame"). Albums to look for are "Midnight is the Answer" and "In the Heat of the Moment".

If you can tolerate convention, you might like a lot of modern Psychobilly as well. There can be no question of the talent in guitarists such as Jim Heath (of Reverend Horton Heat [Texas]) and Hooch (of The Matadors [Toronto]). The Nekromantiks and early Tiger Army should also satisfy.

Finally, if you love guitarists, please PLEASE check out Witchcraft. They are technically Metal and are not fast, but my god, if the lead stylings on their album "Firewood" don't make you melt, you just aren't a fan of guitar! I am absolutely DYING to get my hands on their new album.

Hope these suggestions find you well! Cheers.

Dec 21, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome suggestions

Ah, Tricky Woo! How did I forget them?? I've heard so much about them, I guess I no longer have an excuse to not get them
biggrin.gif
. Your other suggestions seem interesting as well, especially The Illuminati - I've never heard of them - and I'll definitely give Witchcraft a spin as well; I can always use more metal!

Dec 22, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 25
Dec 22, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have 'em both!

I should have figured as much...

Can you handle growling and or extreme vocals?
If so, try Dillinger Escape Plan-id start with "Miss Machine".
This is maniacal jazzy-speed metal; super talented group-one of my faves.
What about Meshuggah?
Coprofago?
Cynic?

These are all more math/jazz/odd time signatured-polyrythmic metal bands, but fast as $hit and incredibly complex and talented.

Dec 22, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have figured as much...

Can you handle growling and or extreme vocals?
If so, try Dillinger Escape Plan-id start with "Miss Machine".
This is maniacal jazzy-speed metal; super talented group-one of my faves.
What about Meshuggah?
Coprofago?
Cynic?

These are all more math/jazz/odd time signatured-polyrythmic metal bands, but fast as $hit and incredibly complex and talented.

Dillinger Escape Plan seems interesting - I checked out some of their songs on myspace and they have potential. Same with Cynic, so they're both on my to-get list. However, I'm trying to stick more to hard rock rather than metal, even though I know it's a fine line to tread (though I'll never say no to more metal!).

Dec 23, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #13 of 25
Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back