High quality USB Cable for DAC connection?
Feb 15, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 37
Quote:
What is a good USB A to B connector for hooking up a DAC to a computer? 

Any of Monoprice's USB cables, which are all "high quality", will work perfectly.

You can spend more on a cable but it can't, even in theory, sound better. I wouldn't recommend spending tens or hundreds of dollars on a USB cable until you've personally analyzed their magical, pixie-dust coating.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 37
There are some forum members who have actually tried aftermarket USB cables and found them to make a difference.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643530/usb-cable-popularity-check

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:
There are some forum members who have actually tried aftermarket USB cables and found them to make a difference.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643530/usb-cable-popularity-check

There is no difference between non-defective USB cables. The bits that arrive at the receiving end are either recovered intact (the audio transmission is 'bit-perfect') or they are not (the audio transmission is converted by the DAC to noise such as pops, clicks, and static, or to silence).

Expensive USB cables may or may not be popular, but they cannot provide audible benefits even in theory. It's not necessary to evaluate differences between USB cables any more than it is to evaluate the power output of a perpetual-motion contraption.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

There is no difference between non-defective USB cables. The bits that arrive at the receiving end are either recovered intact (the audio transmission is 'bit-perfect') or they are not (the audio transmission is converted by the DAC to noise such as pops, clicks, and static, or to silence).

Expensive USB cables may or may not be popular, but they cannot provide audible benefits even in theory. It's not necessary to evaluate differences between USB cables any more than it is to evaluate the power output of a perpetual-motion contraption.

That pretty much described my beliefs, but I finally decided I needed to actually experiment and confirm them.  I was surprised to find on my systems that it wasn't true, and that the aftermarket USB cables did make a significant difference.   It wasn't all bad though - the new USB cables are probable the most cost effective improvement I've made.

Your experiences clearly have differed.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Rez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That pretty much described my beliefs [...]

Unfortunately, it's not a belief. It's how digital electronic communication works as any EE can confirm. Experience otherwise is due solely to psychological phenomena; such discussions aren't permitted here.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, it's not a belief. It's how digital electronic communication works as any EE can confirm. Experience otherwise is due solely to psychological phenomena; such discussions aren't permitted here.

If you believe such discussions aren't permitted in this forum, why even bring it up?

I was trying to correct your misperception about USB cables, but I've failed. I wish you good luck with your listening.

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 37
IMHO, I would go for the "audiophile" cable since it is better looking, more sturdy :). USB cable can improve sound quality if the DAC in used is not well implemented. For instance, for DACs doesn't have the filters for filtering out the noise transmit from the computer, well constructed USB cable with disabled power pin can help to improve sound quality.

It's ironic that consumers pay for a mediocre implementation and then have to find solution for fixing it while the manufacture stands still and smile :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back