High quality USB Cable for DAC connection?
Mar 10, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #16 of 37
The difference is not large but it does exist if you have  expensive equipment, have a practised ear and listen carefully. For most of us, the cost of an audiophile USB cable will not be worthwhile and therefore we consider them to be "overpriced."

Read the second part of this article (about USB cables) for an example:

http://www.bisaudio.com/pdf/2009-12Expression_USB.pdf

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

While they don't provide any audible benefit, I prefer sturdy cables and am willing to pay a small premium for build quality. When a USB cable is marketed as "audiophile", the English translation is "overpriced."

That's the thing, however some 'audiophile' cables go far beyond 'sturdy' and are actually more of 'overbuilt.' I've seen some USB and HDMI cables that are heavier (and less flexible) than cheap power cables (ie, the ones that we're likely to use on our computers), but instead of plain black they come with really nice tech flex. They might be nice and inspire confidence, especially if you can get them cheap, but a problem with overbuilt cables is they can actually over power - physically - the equipment they're attached to, which is more likely to happen with small, desktop form factor equipment.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #18 of 37
If using a non-USB-bus-powered set-up, a cable that disconnects the 5V lines is worth considering as it will remove interference caused by them.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #19 of 37
[size=9pt]Unless you get into measuring errors (like a Sony amp used to) I can't see the point.[/size]
[size=9pt] [/size]
[size=9pt]Of course there is the possibility of errors, poor connections, etc, but there are more inherent issues with computer designs (i.e. what lies in the chassis) than what a cable can fix.[/size]
[size=9pt] [/size]
[size=9pt]If you’re concerned about improving your audio by a minor percentage, why not ditch a comms standard and get a card with an optical output which will provide a non-earthed signal to your super DAC with its power conditioner and faraday cage.[/size]

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #20 of 37
Most people dont know the difference between audio and data stream. USB cables do make a difference in audio stream and every cable or type of cable has its own signature it adds to the sound, while a more subtile than the analog cables of course.

Spending more money on analog cables makes more sense but to perfectionise the whole system USB cables are also a factor.
The point about silver vs copper is a difficult one. While silver only has a 5% advantage over copper the audible differents seem more than 5%. In my opinion it is more important how good the structure of the cable is (isolation/thickness/lenght) than the material used.

If the cable structure is good copper would be enough for me. If the silver version doesnt cost too much more (which it often does) id prefer solid silver of course.

Actually im using a cheap double ferrit core cable for one of my new DACs. It performs better for my ears than my standard flat cable.
One day i get a premium usb cable myself but its not my top priority at the moment. Im gathering more informations at the moment thats why i stumbled over this 1 month old thread. :)

The 1s and 0s guys are horrible obtrusive in this forum lol. We are in the 21th century its not that easy anymore sry guys.^^

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #21 of 37
^ you my friend are spreading myths when talking about USB cables.  There is nothing in a USB cable that can add to or remove from the data flow, that data is then translated by the DAC and ONLY at this point and further down the chain can the audio be altered.  If this were the case you would have studios using high grade USB cables, and trust me they don't.  I have yet to find ANY scientific evidence that its possible, the chances are any difference in sound you hear is placebo or a change somewhere else in the audio chain.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #22 of 37
  ^ you my friend are spreading myths when talking about USB cables.  There is nothing in a USB cable that can add to or remove from the data flow, that data is then translated by the DAC and ONLY at this point and further down the chain can the audio be altered.  If this were the case you would have studios using high grade USB cables, and trust me they don't.  I have yet to find ANY scientific evidence that its possible, the chances are any difference in sound you hear is placebo or a change somewhere else in the audio chain.

Studios dont need best audiophile playback quality. They are producing for people who are listening to I-Devices with Dr. Dre Headphones or worse... so yes Studios dont use that for sure i believe you. In a studio its about "how can we make it sound good on the most crap headphones and speakers in the world".

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #23 of 37
OK, firstly this is off topic and has been an open debate in another thread in the cables forums and sound science and further arguing is likely to get the thread locked. 

Secondly please dont spread further misinformation about how studios operate if you have never set foot in one or understand how they operate.  Studio's use highly accurate systems to reproduce the sound being recorded as accurately as possibly, so that means the highest grade DA and AD conversion for recording and playback.

I would suggest that you only post information and fact rather than bumping your post count with opinion that appears to have very little basis.

Back on topic, the best decision regarding cables is make your own mind up.  If you can afford to spend $100 on a usb cable and you want to then feel free.  Then decide for yourself on the value of the investment.  Spending $20 on a USB standard cable is likely to be sufficient even with a $500-$1000 DAC, money is better spent on other parts of the analogue chain, IMHO

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #24 of 37

Studios dont need best audiophile playback quality. They are producing for people who are listening to I-Devices with Dr. Dre Headphones or worse... so yes Studios dont use that for sure i believe you. In a studio its about "how can we make it sound good on the most crap headphones and speakers in the world".

Calm down, there are people who don't listen to pop and mainstream hiphop, and studios that cater to their needs. If all "studios don't need aduiophile quality," then what are we doing with "audiophile quality" when we're just going to play crap through them anyway?

Unless of course these are crap by your standards because your USB cable cost more than each of these.

So much for metal being "just noise." And this isn't Telarc, etc, BTW.

Are those crap too? Again, not Telarc - it's the composer's home studio.

OK so the output from that session wasn't exactly my favorite album, with WISHMASTER in all aspects being my favorite. Too high gain and style differences aside however even this was fantastic on the Contour S5.4, Stella Utopia, Guarneri Evolution, and Volla (just don't expect, for example, the imaging on a Telarc recording of a Beethoven performance). Sadly I haven't tried either album on a B&W 800 series to get an idea of what they were hearing when they tested the discs.

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

That pretty much described my beliefs, but I finally decided I needed to actually experiment and confirm them. I was surprised to find on my systems that it wasn't true, and that the aftermarket USB cables did make a significant difference. It wasn't all bad though - the new USB cables are probable the most cost effective improvement I've made.

Your experiences clearly have differed.
So what cable are you happy with?

Nov 27, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #26 of 37
So what cable are you happy with?

I had kind of forgotten about this thread. There are a lot more USB options than there were 4 years ago. The USB chain of my current system utilizes an UpTone ISO Regen, powered by an Uptone LPS-1. I still feel the USB cable matters, but regeneration devices like the ISO Regen have a proportionally greater impact, and thus the cable itself wouldn't be my top priority anymore. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/uptone-audio-iso-regen-listening-impressions.850645/

4 years ago I felt one of the better values in cables was the Audioquest Cinnamon, though I ended up with something else.

If you want more specifics, PM me.

Nov 28, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #27 of 37
I use the Uptone Gen and belkin Gold usb cables. Good enough for me and if I need to upgrade stuff I just need to spend thousands of dollars on better amplifiers, dacs, home speakers and headphones :wink:

I probably own over $3500-4000+++ worth of Blue circle power conditioners and cables as modest setup for my audio gear. This is where having noisy power driving your audio gear can introduce a hit on lower SQ.

Do whatever you like as long as your happy. You should not have any concern what other's think of your personal ears and satisfaction !!

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #29 of 37
I use the Uptone Gen and belkin Gold usb cables. Good enough for me and if I need to upgrade stuff I just need to spend thousands of dollars on better amplifiers, dacs, home speakers and headphones :wink:

I probably own over $3500-4000+++ worth of Blue circle power conditioners and cables as modest setup for my audio gear. This is where having noisy power driving your audio gear can introduce a hit on lower SQ.

Do whatever you like as long as your happy. You should not have any concern what other's think of your personal ears and satisfaction !!

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #30 of 37
Thanks. I’ll give the Belkin a try. Six months ago, nobody would have convinced me that cables make a difference, but I tried alternatives and I can hear the difference in my system, especially in interconnects and speaker cables. One might think cables are all the same, but construction, twist, gauge and insulation scheme all make a difference. There is voodoo and reality; separating the two is a challenge. This was an eye opener to me and confirmation that my components were money well spent for my hearing. Now sources and recordings make an audible difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back