High Quality Sounding Expandable Flash Player?
Apr 18, 2005 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
Does one such device exist? I have researched some devices that can have 2.5 gigs of storage, 512 onboard and 2 gig SD flash expansion. I like this idea and something of this capacity is exactly what I am looking for for exercise.

I really like my iPod Photo 60 gig device, but it is too unstable for running. I do have an MZ-S1 md device, but aftert my experience with mp3 players, the thought of having to go back to the MD player, using sonic stage...eesh, please no!

So, I want high capacity - expandable to 2 gigs would be nice - and I would like high quality sound. I don't need FM, fancy display etc. Sound is first, small form factor is a close second.

I note the new Sandisk offerings, how do they sound?

Apr 19, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 23
I have a few 1G SD cards that I could use similiarly. I've noted a few potential concerns when looking for an expandable flash player:

1. Capacity - not all player firmware can recognize larger memory cards, and it's not always noted in the specs. Some have limits as low as 128k! Many cannot "see" above 512k
frown.gif
. Firmware updates are sometimes available, but if not, who wants to wait for vaporware?
2. Display/Interface - LCD's tend to be small, don't show important info, and don't always allow nested folder navigation (another firmware issue).

I haven't found anything that suits me yet. I'm looking at some smartphone/integrated devices like the Treo, and some Windows-powered phones that might do what I want.

*/edit - 512k should read 512M
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by toothpaste100
Have you considered a 2 gb Iaudio G3 or an Iaudio 5?

They could work just fine for me. Heck even the 1 gb Shuffle would do. I just figured that if I were going this route, I woudl try and expandable unit to avoid absolescence so early on. that said, perhaps I should go with something like the Iaudio 5 and be done with it. How is the build quality? Sound quality?

Apr 19, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 23
Hes pointing out the difference between 512k and 512Mb
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 23
LOL!
biggrin.gif

I guess I just showed my age with that slip! Back in the day, you could fit an entire OS plus app code in 512k!

Apr 20, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #13 of 23
Hmmm...I've had my eyes on this expandable memory player for awhile:

Rave-MP 256MB Sport MP3 Player AMP256

It got pretty good reviews and comments when it first launched, but also its fair share of complaints about buggy firmware and no firmware updates....HOWEVER, a firmware upgrade was just recently released by Rave-MP:

Firmware Upgrade

So, price is cheap, looks aren't bad, specs are decent, AND it's expandable...I'm tempted to get it just based on price alone just to test it out. I've got the iAudio I5 which is all I need, but I still like the idea of expandability a lot.

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #14 of 23
I'm pretty sure those Rave units can only take 512M SD cards, max.

I just picked up this unit from Motorola on my lunch hour at my local Rat Shack:

42-8064.jpg

Link is here

It has 256M internal memory, SD expansion slot, and FM tuner. I was going to try the RCA Lyra they have (128M internal, SD expansion slot), but was not sure about the max card capacity, and the small display. I saw this unit, which is clearly advertised as accepting 1G cards, so I bit. The Motorola is not exactly cheap (US$99 on sale), but...

A quick boot up at work using an SD card loaded with some songs verifies that it at least recognizes the 1G card, and plays music
tongue.gif
. No excessive time lags to recognize the external card. Music selection is by ID3 tag, so I can just drag & drop my ripped/tagged files onto the SD card using a separate card reader on my home PC (no MusicMatch software or drivers required). I wish the SD card slot was external, but you have to open up the unit and remove the battery, to swap the SD card. The display has a very nice, high contrast look that is easily viewable in most light.

Seems to work pretty well. We'll see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back