High Quality Portable Set up
Aug 25, 2009 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Abstraction

100+ Head-Fier
I just joined Head-Fi, but I have looked in from time to time for a long time. It is certainly one of the most attractive audio forums that I know of.

I am not really an audio guy, but I have been dragged into audio because I obsessively listen to music. When I listen, I listen. I can't have music playing when I am trying to do something else, because I forget what I am doing and listen to the music. I listen mostly to the jazz that began with Coleman, Coltrane, Ayler, Taylor, Mingus, and Sun Ra in the late 50s and continues mostly on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, in Chicago, and a few European cities. I am especially interested in bass players, and tight, clean, but unexaggerated bass, is important, but a bass that sounds like a wooden bass, and cymbals that sound like symbols, and pianos that sound like pianos are also hard to comeby. Saxophones, like breathy female voices, seems fairly easy.

At any rate, I am pleased with the system in my music room, and spend time most nights listening to music, but when the Ipod appeared I was totally taken. Here was portable music of a quality that I could stand to listen to. So I have an 80gb Ipod (Apple Lossless). When I say I am not an audiophile, I had to go back to see what phones I have had and what I still have that are working. I have had trouble with in-ear phones (are these IEMs? I need to learn the language) going bad. I have or have had Etymotic er4, er6, and a couple of Shures (in the $150-$200 range), the number of which I do not recall, that died. I also have a pair of Grado SR-80s. I have been using some Phillips IEMs that sound okay and seem to be relatively sturdy.

I listen to the Ipod a lot; in the gym, in bed (insomniac), and of the train (I go back and forth from Albany, NY, to NYC regularly). I don't think about sound quality much, but I like the intimacy with the music, and I am sometimes irritated that I can't hear things that I hear on my big system. Or actually I do think about sound quality, but I don't think about gear much. (I was on the phone with a repairmen today, trying to get a phono stage, repaired, and I couldn't remember what cartridge I am using (I think I gave about $600 for it, but I haven't gone to look at what it is. I think it sound very good.)

So a lot of prologue, but it occurred to me today on the eliptical trainer, that I could probably get a lot better sound and that this would make me happy.

I would be willing to invest--let's say--$1000 on amp and phones if I could get a really substantial improvement in the sound out of my Ipod. Or, if there is some really stunning combination, I could go, more. I would probably like to have some open cans and some IEMs. I assume that big fat cans are going to sound better (but just a guess) but would not be good on the train.

I am not really a good shopper. Help me out.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 27
If I were you, I think what I'd do to get the best portable system I'd get the HiFi man player and a $300 pair of IEMs. The nice IEMs would cut out the need for an extra amp, and the HiFi man would be an enormous upgrade to your source.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 27
I'd forgo the "set up" bollocks and go straight for high-end custom IEMs. They're flagships and compete with the finest full-size headphones, will always scale with your equipment, and sound more amazing for your money than amp + universals (the latter is a horrible value).

I'm sure the Jerry Harvey Audio JH-13 pro is a unanimous recommendation if you can afford it. Forgo the amp. That's what I would do in your position.

Of course, realize that this is an investment where you will not be able to recover your money, as they are customs (possibly the only thing holding me off from going this route).

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 27
Check out the Amp3 thread for a low cost, high-end player/Amp. It's not perfect, by a long shot (you can read all about it), but even with my modest SR-80s the Amp3 is definitely hi-end audio, and it's $150 (on sale now at Whiplash Audio). But before you buy, check out the threads, etc.

Having said that, it does not play Apple Lossless, in fact it's made to get the best out of pedestrian 192k tracks. That's the sweet spot. But when you get the right phones for it, wow is all I can say. Listening right now with the tape-modded Grados, and it's sublime.

As for in-ear phones to match with the Amp3, it comes with a very good pair of buds, made to synergize with the Amp3, but I prefer the Westone UM3X. Only issue is some hiss, but I use a 75ohm impedance adapter to reduce the hiss.

Anyway, there also are some rumors of a new Amp3 model, which is an improvement in terms of storage and SQ, but it's just a rumor right now. Check the Whiplash Audio forum over the next few weeks to see what's happening on that front.

Meantime, just read over the Amp3 threads. For acoustic jazz, it's really a perfect player. Needs about 200-500 hours burn-in, but when you get there, wow.

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 27
I recommend AMP3. The reason for your quirement are:

1, You are frequently travel between differents cities, the playing time of battery will be more critical for you. AMP3 have 100 hours playing time per charging. The longest one.

2, Sound quality: As you prefer the home set up audio devices, Amp3 is really a high end player than not a hi fi player. just as your pointed out, the Piano is like piano. Everything presented exactly what the record has. AMP3 can portrait the sould of the music than not only reproduction the sound.

3, Small size of 74 X 40 X 20 MM, the smallest hi fi player.

4, AMP3 is a 4 in 1 hybrid player which integrated with DAP/ AMP/ hi fi radio/hifi earphone. You even don't need invest any other accessories.

5, if you have $1000 budget,and AMP3 only cost you &149, if you like,you can donate the balance to the HEAFI ORG, All the Headfier will appreciate you!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
(just a joke).

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 27
Abstraction-
Welcome to Head-Fi, and you're in trouble with your wallet once you start down this journey. But it'll be fun....

As for a high quality player, I'd recommend the Sony X1000 series. There's a built in digital amp, which imparts a wonderfully powerful yet natural sound. In spite of being a digital amp, the SQ is decidedly 'non-digital'. Instrument separation and air is stunning. Since you mention tight, deep bass, the Sony really fits the bill as the quantity and quality of it is something I haven't heard yet from any other DAP, which include of late the amp3, and the Cowon S9. Its slim form factor would be perfect as well for your commuting.

Note the differences in thickness between the amp3 and Sony:

DSC00467.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd forgo the "set up" bollocks and go straight for high-end custom IEMs. ...

I'm sure the Jerry Harvey Audio JH-13 pro is a unanimous recommendation if you can afford it. Forgo the amp. That's what I would do in your position.

Thanks X30--
I had noticed mentions of JH-13s, but head-fi-ers do tend to speak a secret language. Very interesting. I would be willing to drop the money on them, if they are good, and it would be nice to avoid the amp--just because it would be more stuff to lug. I'll look into them.

The Amp3, however, is no answer for me, unless it can use big memory cards. (Or the Sony, w/ 32 gb, either for that matter). I have a 80gb Ipod, and was thinking of buying a 160gb or perhaps two of them. Look, I'm an old guy, and I have been collecting music for a long time. I have several thousand el-p's, and nearly 2tbs of a.i.f.f. files ripped from CDs.

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the Amp3 thread for a low cost, high-end player/Amp.

As for in-ear phones to match with the Amp3, it comes with a very good pair of buds, made to synergize with the Amp3, but I prefer the Westone UM3X. Only issue is some hiss, but I use a 75ohm impedance adapter to reduce the hiss.

Hi tstarn--

It looks like a great bargain, but I am not sure that I would think of any audio device that hissed at me as high end.

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 27
You are right about full size cans sounding better. They absolutely destroy my in-ear phones, even when you consider price. See my sig for gear.

You are also right about hiss. Hiss =/= high end. Hiss is one of my biggest complaints and pet peeves about audio players and sensitive phones.

With that said, it seems you already have a good amount of experience. I recommend looking into the RSA shadow or the Pico slim or RSA tomahawk to pair with your in-ear phones. I have only heard the Tomahawk for obvious reasons. These amps are geared towards in-ears and provide very accurate amplification with no hiss or channel imbalance.

Hiss is a huge problem for sensitive phones and an amp usually removes it. Unfortunately the volume knob (potentiometer) is a troublesome device which often has a volume imbalance at the extreme ends of its range. Some in-ears only require 1% of volume from the amp which is still in the imbalanced range. The tomahawk hardly has any imbalance and the slim and shadow are guaranteed to have none because of their digital volume controls.

Anyway I'm probably rambling at this point. Get an amp that works well with sensitive in-ears and full size too. My $250 Corda2move can't be used with in-ears because the gain and channel imbalance are too great.

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 27
Let's look at it this way:

Will you be better off with a better source (perhaps iMod with a nice amp), and top-of-the-line headphones/universals or a top-of-the-line set of customs out of the headphone-out?

Having tried the former route and being seriously underwhelmed by the results for the money, I suggested the latter. I think actual owners of customs could provide better insight to this than I could of course, as I noticed that many of them run unamped and are still pleased.

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 27
You could always do an ipod/small LOD cable/small amplifier. I use my 3g nano, tomahawk and westone um2 this way and I love the sound. It sounds good with all my headphones actually, but I usually use it portably with iems. No hiss, no volume imbalance, good sound.

Aug 25, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstraction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi tstarn--

It looks like a great bargain, but I am not sure that I would think of any audio device that hissed at me as high end.

Well, it doesn't hiss with every phone, and the SQ is definitely high-end when matched with the right phones. I'm not alone on that front (a few experienced HFers with true high-end gear like it a lot. It's all in the thread). There is supposed to be a firmware fix coming, who knows? Just listened to a Brubeck track with the Amp3 and the lowly Koss Ksc35s (no hiss at all), and it sounds as good as any track on any phones/DAP I have heard, but of course, my experience is limited.

As you noted, it's a moot point. Sounds like you need a 160GB iMod with an iQube or something like that. Good luck sorting through all the portable amps out there, because there is no real consensus on which one is the best, not by a longshot.

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstraction /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Amp3, however, is no answer for me, unless it can use big memory cards. (Or the Sony, w/ 32 gb, either for that matter). I have a 80gb Ipod, and was thinking of buying a 160gb or perhaps two of them. Look, I'm an old guy, and I have been collecting music for a long time. I have several thousand el-p's, and nearly 2tbs of a.i.f.f. files ripped from CDs.

Bummer that storage has to be so high... the SQ of the Sony is really nice. Thankfully I haven't amassed such an extensive music library, so storage is not an issue. It would be nice if Sony did a player with much more storage, while keeping the digital amp and the snappy touch interface.... ah, dreaming.

Good luck with your research.

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's look at it this way:

Will you be better off with a better source (perhaps iMod with a nice amp), and top-of-the-line headphones/universals or a top-of-the-line set of customs out of the headphone-out?

Having tried the former route and being seriously underwhelmed by the results for the money, I suggested the latter. I think actual owners of customs could provide better insight to this than I could of course, as I noticed that many of them run unamped and are still pleased.

Okay, this is the reason I decided to start posting rather reading a lot more posts. I assume by "customs" you mean something like the jh-13s, which I just learned about today. Are there other customs?

This head-fi scene is a different tribe. I was building tube as a highschool kid not because I was a tube guy but because there were any transistors, but I often don't know what people here are talking about.

I am sure that portable players are never going to be great sources. You didn't find the Imod a big improvement? I am not surprise. I am using Red Wine S-70.2s in my main rig (trying to get away from noise), and I like them a lot (In fact, it is not my best sounding systems; sometimes I run that entire system on battery power), but I have been suspicious of the Imod for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back