high quality portable cd player
Nov 29, 2007 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Doo Doo Brown

New Head-Fier
I've been using a 4G ipod for several years now, and I've always been relatively happy with it. But now that I've invested in some Grado SR225s, I'm interested in improving my portable source. I've looked at other DAPs, but I think for my purposes a portable CD player would work well. That's right, I'm not afraid to use an actual compact disc now and then.
biggrin.gif

I've found plenty of threads here about DAPs but not much on portable CD players. I'd be using it with an portable amp (currently a practical devices xm4).
Looking to spend no more than $100. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 13
I searched for a while for a nice sounding modern Sony PCDP and here is what I found:
I got a used D-NE10 first but i find it is only good using it's optical out. The headphone out
sounds like crap. I then got 2 used D-EJ2000 this has the best sound by far of any of the
modern PCDP IMO and it is nice and slim.

I also have a D-303 (which I bought new) and a D-25s which sound even better than the 2000
but the 2000 is so slim and the batteries last a while and are still available that for portable use it is
probably better.

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 13
seems unlikely that a sub $100 portable CD player will get close to any iPod DAC technical performance
and portable CD players usually have much worse s/n and jitter

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seems unlikely that a sub $100 portable CD player will get close to any iPod DAC technical performance
and portable CD players usually have much worse s/n and jitter

Are you referring to an offboard DAC? While I don't doubt that would transcend a $100 PCDP, it would also be beyond my spending capabilities at this point. Or is there a decent DAC that's relatively small that costs $100?

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For less than $100, I think a DAP is more suited for your purpose.

Yeah, I'm starting to think about trying a new DAP like the Zune or Sony A818. Maybe I can score an old Sony CDP on the cheap from craigslist or a friend who has one sitting in a drawer somewhere. Plus it's a lot more fun looking at DAPs than CD players.

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doo Doo Brown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm starting to think about trying a new DAP like the Zune or Sony A818. Maybe I can score an old Sony CDP on the cheap from craigslist or a friend who has one sitting in a drawer somewhere. Plus it's a lot more fun looking at DAPs than CD players.

I haven't heard the Sony, but I have one of the old Zunes. IMHO, it has far inferior sound than my old Panasonic PCDP. I guess it's not actually bad since a lot of people around here seem to love its sound, but there is better out there.

As inconvenient as it is to carry around a PCDP I am considering going back to mine. Yeah, it's large, bulky and only has one album at a time, but it sounds so much better.
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 13
Sony D-NE300 which shows up on ebay regularly sometimes brand new.
Sony D-NF340 is sony's newest current model which I haven't heard but is another possiblity.

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doo Doo Brown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you referring to an offboard DAC? While I don't doubt that would transcend a $100 PCDP, it would also be beyond my spending capabilities at this point. Or is there a decent DAC that's relatively small that costs $100?

If you can stretch to about $200 the iBasso D1 with a Sony PCDP going optical is a very nice setup. I am using the D-NE920 as the user interface is nice but I also have 2 D-EJ1000 as backup units which sounds as good and have a much better build/sex appeal. I could probably sell you one of them cheapish if you are interested.

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #12 of 13
Yes I think these were the last models and they must be over a year old if not more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back