High quality music downloads?
Jan 14, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #16 of 48
I actually stopped downloading after finding out I could get CD's for relatively cheaper. For example, a CD on itunes is 10 bucks... and I can get the same cd for 3 bucks. Even if you say you only download 1 or 2 songs from an album, you still pay 2, and I pay 3. you get 256kbps or 320 and I get losless and awesome album art. So just look for used CDs.

The only downside is you won't find rare stuff cheap or atleast obscure music is hard to find.

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
limewire

tut tut
devil_face.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #19 of 48
HDTracks has been great for me. They are also beginning to offer 24/96 hi rez tracks as well. Linn Records is a a very good source; they offer CD quality and also hi rez 24/96 files. Also Magnatune offers CD quality downloads.

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
limewire

Quote:

Originally Posted by MythNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tut tut
devil_face.gif

x2

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually stopped downloading after finding out I could get CD's for relatively cheaper. For example, a CD on itunes is 10 bucks... and I can get the same cd for 3 bucks. Even if you say you only download 1 or 2 songs from an album, you still pay 2, and I pay 3. you get 256kbps or 320 and I get losless and awesome album art. So just look for used CDs.

The only downside is you won't find rare stuff cheap or atleast obscure music is hard to find.

Much as I love iTunes for lots of music where the bit rate is less important to me, I have come to agree. I have gone back and re-ripped CDS, and I am gradually buying, renting, or borrowing to re-rip the nearly 3500 CDs I lost when I moved a couple of years ago. And pdupiano is right; CDs can be had incredibly cheap. When all I did was listen on airplane rides to my Ety 6i or Westone UM2s, or in the car, it did not matter as much, but thanks to HeadFi, it matters again.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #23 of 48
emusic has good cheap mp3 downloads. I've been a subscriber for years and have always been pleased with the quality. Not lossless, I believe they use Lame with a VBR setting. You can check on the site. Selection excludes all the big music names, but that is a plus for me as it gets me into more offbeat music.

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #24 of 48
No more Itunes for me, I go to our public library, place holds on music i want, wait for it to come in and download what I want (lossless files only - have a 120gb classic Ipod) and wait for more to come in...
icon10.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahuna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No more Itunes for me, I go to our public library, place holds on music i want, wait for it to come in and download what I want (lossless files only - have a 120gb classic Ipod) and wait for more to come in...
icon10.gif

Agreed.

A library card, EAC, & LAME are all you need.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
80% of iTunes is now 256K AAC and DRM free. Soon to be 100%.

Hmm, I recently bought a new Kings of Leon track on itunes, 128 kbps...

(Used) Cd's are more fun to buy as well. Somehow I feel more satisfaction when I go through a music store, pay and have the album in my hand, than when it's downloaded.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #27 of 48
I'm really happy that itunes is now DRM free with decent quality. I doubt I could notice difference between lossless and 256kbps, especially since I'm not about to do any extensive comparing just to spot some small difference.

But I do agree could probably get CDs cheaper. It's just so much trouble having to leave home, take bus downtown, browse around in the store, especially if you don't know what you want and then still have to rip it.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #29 of 48
Once you buy music, you have the right to download it through whatever, otherwise illegal, channels you wish. For example, once you buy a CD you can go to what.cd and download a FLAC copy for personal use.

Same goes for purchased downloads.

That said, buy CDs. Don't buy downloads.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you buy music, you have the right to download it through whatever, otherwise illegal, channels you wish. For example, once you buy a CD you can go to what.cd and download a FLAC copy for personal use.

Same goes for purchased downloads.

That said, buy CDs. Don't buy downloads.

I don't know about that. Maybe, but you'd better not be uploading 10x what you downloaded by seeding it afterward. I rather doubt anyone would view that as "legal" if you've got one copy of the CD in your desk drawer.

Besides, what about the people you got the FLAC from? They're just seeding, they don't know you have the CD.

Not judging... just pointing that out....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back