High impedance over-ear open for heavy metal
Sep 4, 2017 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kchapdaily

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am looking for recommendations for a higher imedance open over ear hp primarily for listening to heavy metal. I will also be using these for a bit of folk/acoustic type music. I have an LCD-2 which i love, but i want to try some other stuff to see if i can find a reason to upgrade the LCD-2. I love the bass and mids but it is a bit dark sometimes. Also its rather heavy. Could go for something brighter that weighs less, but still has great bass, seperation, detail retreival, etc. Something with more soundstage might be in order as well.

I am looking at the HD650, price is rather good right now. But would be open to suggestions in the <1000$ range. I have a Burson HA-160/DA-160 stack to use for the time being, but am planning to get a Ragnarok/Yggdrasil stack in the near future.

Thanks for your time.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 18
The LCD2 is an all around better version of the 650 IMO. I own both and only use the 650 instead when I don't want to deal with the weight of the Audeze. The 650 is also darker than the LCD2 so that wouldn't be good with your tastes. The 650 is no upgrade from the LCD2, it's really the opposite.

It seems to me that you want a faster and more engaging headphone than the LCD2. Perhaps the ZMF Eikon? It may be over budget but worth the time to research! For under 1k it may be hard to "upgrade" from the Audeze, but a good sidegrade can be a nice option. Perhaps HD800 or a 600-ohm Beyer

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 18
Sep 4, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 18
The LCD2 is an all around better version of the 650 IMO. I own both and only use the 650 instead when I don't want to deal with the weight of the Audeze. The 650 is also darker than the LCD2 so that wouldn't be good with your tastes. The 650 is no upgrade from the LCD2, it's really the opposite.

It seems to me that you want a faster and more engaging headphone than the LCD2. Perhaps the ZMF Eikon? It may be over budget but worth the time to research! For under 1k it may be hard to "upgrade" from the Audeze, but a good sidegrade can be a nice option. Perhaps HD800 or a 600-ohm Beyer

Good info on the 650, I will definitely look elsewhere then. Yeah i think i am pretty much looking for a sidegrade (i like that phrase!). more engaging is a good way to sum it up i think. I guess I just want to get a feel for other sound signatures so that i may inform my decision to upgrade to LCD-3/4 or something else in the future.

Why do you want a higher impedance headphone?

I want to get used to other high end headphones so i can use them as a comparison for gear as well, which is why i was thinking id go for a high impedance headphone. That way i could get into an OTL tube amp. All of my headphones are low impedance so i have been avoiding tube amps, specifically OTL.

Thanks for the link! Seems like a great thread indeed. So i guess to provide a bit more info in the context of that link, my favorite genres of metal in order are thrash, power, like viking/folk metal, and a little bit of death. Based on the stickied spreadsheet my best bet is the abyss 1266... probably going to hold off on that lol. Next interesting option is the hifiman he-6... i had been drooling over these when they came out as i am also a he-4 owner (headband broke, thats when i bout the LCD-2). That might be pretty close to what i am looking for. Not high impedance but that just means i have something to get later lol

EDIT: guys its meant to be! check out this quote from that thread under the abyss section. I think this kind of reflects my feelings lately. The LCD2 is awesome but sometimes you just want something to just punch you right in the nose i guess.
If to reflect a little more. In excellent (for me) and really universal system there should be at least couple of earphones. The first - cold, sharp, bright, fast. The second - warm, soft, dark, slow. Abyss - an ideal first half of ideal couple (budget alternative - Hifiman HE-6). The second half - two-headed, consisting of good old non-fazor Audeze LCD-3 and LCD-2.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 18
I think any under-$1K list worth its salt ought to include an AEON at least as a brief consideration. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is conceivable that it could work for you. FWIW. As always, YMMV.

Sep 5, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for the link! Seems like a great thread indeed. So i guess to provide a bit more info in the context of that link, my favorite genres of metal in order are thrash, power, like viking/folk metal, and a little bit of death. Based on the stickied spreadsheet my best bet is the abyss 1266... probably going to hold off on that lol. Next interesting option is the hifiman he-6... i had been drooling over these when they came out as i am also a he-4 owner (headband broke, thats when i bout the LCD-2). That might be pretty close to what i am looking for. Not high impedance but that just means i have something to get later lol

EDIT: guys its meant to be! check out this quote from that thread under the abyss section. I think this kind of reflects my feelings lately. The LCD2 is awesome but sometimes you just want something to just punch you right in the nose i guess.

I listen to tons of metal of every type. I'm sad that the metal thread here has died down.

I do tend to favor HIFIMAN over Audeze. (Owned the HE400i, HE500, LCD-2F, LCD-X, and SINE; auditioned the HE6 and HE1000.) I can confirm that the HE6 is similar to the Abyss, though not quite as impressive. Both have a more straightforward, high performance sound that is less lush than most planar magnetics. The thing with the Abyss is that the fit is crazy. You have to tweak it for awhile to even get it right. It's designed for the pads to rest slightly away from your ears. I couldn't get it right at all and suspect (for various reasons) that the demo unit I tried was defective. The HE6 is infinitely simpler in terms of being able to just put it on your head. The most dedicated enthusiasts like to modify it and drive it from speaker taps. Since it's out of production, you'd have to get a used one. (Here is a cool link to keep track of the Head-Fi classifieds.)

Sep 5, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 18
Hey guys,

I am looking for recommendations for a higher imedance open over ear hp primarily for listening to heavy metal. I will also be using these for a bit of folk/acoustic type music. I have an LCD-2 which i love, but i want to try some other stuff to see if i can find a reason to upgrade the LCD-2. I love the bass and mids but it is a bit dark sometimes. Also its rather heavy. Could go for something brighter that weighs less, but still has great bass, seperation, detail retreival, etc. Something with more soundstage might be in order as well.

I am looking at the HD650, price is rather good right now. But would be open to suggestions in the <1000$ range. I have a Burson HA-160/DA-160 stack to use for the time being, but am planning to get a Ragnarok/Yggdrasil stack in the near future.

Thanks for your time.

Might as well just save up and sell the LCD-2 to get the LCD-3 later.

Sep 5, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 18
Sep 5, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 18
I've heard that not headphones that are better for rock than the Degrees, people say that the chord instruments are unique, so maybe you can take a look and see which one fits your budget better.

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 18
Although i think the sound would be exactly what i am looking for, I'm definitely worried about the HE-6 build quality unfortunately. My HE-4 are constructed the same and they did not hold up to even gentle use apparently. Under the plastic earcup gimble clamps there are screws affixing the mount to the headstrap. The mount is plastic, it seems rather flimsy. Also i'm not a fan of the little smc connectors. I much prefer the build quality of the Audezes.

The thing with the Abyss is that the fit is crazy. You have to tweak it for awhile to even get it right. It's designed for the pads to rest slightly away from your ears. I couldn't get it right at all and suspect (for various reasons) that the demo unit I tried was defective. The HE6 is infinitely simpler in terms of being able to just put it on your head. The most dedicated enthusiasts like to modify it and drive it from speaker taps. Since it's out of production, you'd have to get a used one. (Here is a cool link to keep track of the Head-Fi classifieds.)
I remember reading the fit is finicky on the abyss but that just seems awful. Kind of seems like a dealbreaker for me at the moment, so the search continues. Also wow thanks for that classified tool link!!! i wish i knew about this 4 years ago lol.

I think any under-$1K list worth its salt ought to include an AEON at least as a brief consideration. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is conceivable that it could work for you. FWIW. As always, YMMV.
definitely looks intriguing, ill read some reviews. Mr speaker has definitely been under my radar. I've been out of the game for a while and am just getting back up to speed on gear available - last i remember mr speaker was just doing mad dog mods! Interesting to see they are a full OEM now, seems like the build quality is really nice as well. i am concerned about them being closed type, but if they have good isolation and dont leak too much i might be able to use them at work so that might be an ok compromise. right now i am using uiems at work which i dont love the sound of, but they have great isolation, really the only reason i am keeping them around.

Take a look at the Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Generation or the cheaper DT1990 Pro :D
based on my past reading ive sort of avoided beyers, but i'll take another look to be sure. Seemed to me their sound signature wasnt going to be my cup of tea. thanks for the lead though.

I've heard that not headphones that are better for rock than the Degrees, people say that the chord instruments are unique, so maybe you can take a look and see which one fits your budget better.
any way you could provide a link? i gave it the old college try but i just cant seem to figure out what the degrees are... i feel like a goon i'm sorry

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 18
Sorry, I do not speak English and so I have to use google translator, I referred to the "Grado" headphones, I'm sure you know this brand.
Ah of course, yes i have a SR125. I may go this direction - but i do not prefer the grado ear cups. Will look for an opportunity to try a higher end grado. Thanks for the recommendation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back