High Impedance Closed Headphones for Gaming (PS4) and Movies
Nov 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a headphones that will pair well with my current setup

Setup
PS4 HDMI->Denon 1910 Receiver (headphone jack)->Headphones

Since I am using the headphone jack on my receiver, my assumption is I need high impedance headphones. My AD700 sound fine, but I definitely know they are lacking in definition. This is most noticeable when listening to music.

Requirements
Closed - Currently using open headphones ( AD700 ) and too much sound leaks into the mic and to others in the room
Wide Sound Stage - I love this about the AD700
Impactful/accurate Base - I am not a bass head, but when it comes to movies and games, I definitely enjoy it

The headphones will be used for only games and movies. 

I am currently considering the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohms. What are headphone options do I have or are there devices I can put between the headphone jack and the headphones to reduce impedance? 

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 9
Bump

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 9
bump

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 9

I am currently considering the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohms. What are headphone options do I have or are there devices I can put between the headphone jack and the headphones to reduce impedance? 

Those would probably be a good choice based on your preferences. 

The question is a little confusing. You said that you want high impedance headphones because you are using them with a receiver. I had the DT-990 250 ohm, and it worked fine with my receiver. So why do you want to lower impedance? I think this is possible with some parallel resistors, but I'm not aware of any devices that do it. You would need to build something yourself with resistors. To raise impedance even more, you could buy something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281188408675?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

IMO, though, there's no need to mess with either of these options. 250 ohms should be fine with a receiver. If anything, it might too low, but the 600 ohm DT770 is way more expensive. It would be better to just get something like the adapter I linked to in order to raise impedance than get the 600 ohm model, but again, probably not necessary. It's cheap though, so there's no real reason not to try the adapter. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 9

Those would probably be a good choice based on your preferences. 

The question is a little confusing. You said that you want high impedance headphones because you are using them with a receiver. I had the DT-990 250 ohm, and it worked fine with my receiver. So why do you want to lower impedance? I think this is possible with some parallel resistors, but I'm not aware of any devices that do it. You would need to build something yourself with resistors. To raise impedance even more, you could buy something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281188408675?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

IMO, though, there's no need to mess with either of these options. 250 ohms should be fine with a receiver. If anything, it might too low, but the 600 ohm DT770 is way more expensive. It would be better to just get something like the adapter I linked to in order to raise impedance than get the 600 ohm model, but again, probably not necessary. It's cheap though, so there's no real reason not to try the adapter. 

Are the DT770 the only worthwhile high impedance headphones? I would only want to lower the impedance output of the receiver to have more headphone choices...

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 9
  Are the DT770 the only worthwhile high impedance headphones? I would only want to lower the impedance output of the receiver to have more headphone choices...

For closed headphones with a soundstage, DT770 is usually a top contender. I don't know what your budget is, but the other top closed headphoness in the same price range I can think of are the T50rp mods, the ZMF version and the Mad Dog version. Both of those are low impedance, but they are planar magnetic so it doesn't really matter. Impedance matching doesn't affect planar magnetic headphones. 

You could also look at Ultrasone for closed headphones with good bass.

For impedance matching, the issue is the ratio of headphone impedance to receiver impedance. The headphones should have higher impedance than the receiver (preferably several times higher than the receiver's impedance, but this depends on the sonic qualities of the headphone and receiver as well). An adapter like the one I linked to will increase the impedance of the headphone. For example, the 300 ohm model will add 300 ohms to the impedance of the headphone. If this is more than the impedance of the receiver, you're good to go. You could use this kind of adapter with about any headphone. But be aware that the impedance adapter will require you to turn up the volume more on the receiver. 

The headphone jack on most receivers is the output for speakers wired up with resistors. Which is why the output impedance is high. You could lower the impedance by making an adapter for the speaker outputs, but then you would just need to add resistors back in anyway to keep things from being absurdly loud. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 9
That is great info. Thank you

How does the T50rp ZMF and Mad Dog mods compare to the DT770?

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 9
  That is great info. Thank you

How does the T50rp ZMF and Mad Dog mods compare to the DT770?

I couldn't really say since I haven't listened to them, but there a lot of people that love the ZMF and the Mad Dog. Just to summarize what I've read, they have more of a neutral sound with emphasis on the midrange. But you should read up on them yourself. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 9
I'm actually using my Bowers & Wilkins P7 for my PS4 and it way outperformes my Turtle Beach PX5's (though I do wish I could decrease the volume) but I absolutely agree the soundstage on Beyerdynamics are unmatched if you can afford to purchase a model with Tesla Coil (i.e. the Beyerdynamic T70's) I feel like I'm cheating when I'm using these I can hear things so far out and cleanly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back